2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 02:01 AM)
The Cubs unfortuantly hung on. :(

Who are you rooting for this weekend in the Cubs/Tigers series?

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Adam Dunn just hit a 3-run walkoff HR to the last row in the stadium on the ESPN game. Still

That guy is such a classic DH. Can't run, can't defend, can't catch, has no arm.....but he can hit the s*** out of the ball and draws a TON of walks (which offsets the horrid batting average).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
That guy is such a classic DH. Can't run, can't defend, can't catch, has no arm.....but he can hit the s*** out of the ball and draws a TON of walks (which offsets the horrid batting average).

And yet, he's stuck in the NL.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 06:36 PM)
Just saw that, looked more like an ephus.

That's probably what it was but it didn't seem to have as much arch as I remember when he used to throw that pitch.

And Aaron still loves being hit by pitches.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
Right, but he was still great for at least one half AFTER 2003.

He mainly started the AS Game because he was 12-2 going into the break, a 3.21 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and .242 BAA can hardly be considered great. Very good, Buehlresque but not great.

I heard the new (crappy) song called "Deja Vu" from Beyonce featuring Jay-Z, and I'm almost 100% positive Jay-Z included a rhyme about running mentioning Juan Pierre by name.

Anyone else hear this?

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)
I heard the new (crappy) song from Beyonce featuring Jay-Z, and I'm almost 100% positive Jay-Z included a rhyme about running mentioning Juan Pierre by name.

Anyone else hear this?

I have not heard this, however I assume for the sake of accuracy Jay-Z also mentions how Pierre is maybe the most useless everyday player in baseball this year?

:)

La Russa on Pujols

TLR downplaying expectations, as predicted...

"He's been exercising. It shows he's improving. He wouldn't get clearance to increase it unless he was doing well. But there's no timetable. I've been encouraged not to speculate. When it's time, it's time. The last test he'll pass is when he can play the game of baseball 100 percent."

Asked if Pujols could DH on the road trip to CHI and DET, La Russa discounted the possibility. "There's a lot of sitting around (as DH) and stiffening up. Unless you ride the bike the entire time."

Pujols said he'd rather not DH ... says it's bad to sit around and get stiff.

What is the final hurdle for a Pujols return?

"Don't play him until you expect you get him back the rest of the season once he returns. If there's any doubt about it, keep resting him and treating him."

However, when asked if Pujols would be out until the All-Star Game break, La Russa said: "Based on how he's looking I think he'll be back before the All-Star break."

Pujols will hit tomorrow.

He said he was going to hit today, but he did so much on the field he didn't want to push it.

Pujols said he's feeling much better and is very encouraged. ...

The talk in the clubhouse is this: at this point, the boys wouldn't be surprised at all to see Pujols activated sometime during the trip to CHI and DET.

--B

Last edited by BernieM on 16 Jun 2006 17:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
Today's fun fact of the day: It's mid June, and the 15 million dollar payroll Marlins have a better record than the 95 million dollar payroll Cubs.

With that said, go Cubs the next 3 days, but lol at that fact.

And if the Pirates win tonight, they'll be tied with them for last place in their division. Pathetic!

Pujols optimistic about faster return

By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer

June 16, 2006

capt.ce43cb822eb34306bcfaf17d4de8a051.re

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Albert Pujols, who's eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list early next week, was optimistic Friday that he'd return from a strained side muscle much sooner than St. Louis officials had originally predicted.

The Cardinals slugger was on the field for drills at first base several hours before Friday night's game against the Rockies, contorting his body to get to balls bounced his way by third base coach Jose Oquendo. After the workout, last year's NL MVP said he felt surprisingly good.

"I'm pretty excited," Pujols said. And he said team medical personnel were "real excited, but I don't want to talk too quick until I get out there in the field and hopefully play for a week and I don't feel it at all."

Pujols was hoping to get clearance to take some batting practice on Saturday, the next step in the process.

"I still need to hit and I still need to do some things, and we'll see how I feel," Pujols said. "I can't wait until I start to get some hacks, and we'll go from there. I'm pretty sure I'll be OK. I've been working my butt off this last week."

[More in URL]

Ponson is sent to bullpen

By Joe Strauss

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

06/18/2006

ponson18story.jpg2005-08-15-anthony-reyes.jpg

The Cardinals have notified pitcher Sidney Ponson of at least his temporary assignment to the bullpen while they contemplate promoting Anthony Reyes from Class AAA Memphis to make Thursday's start against the Chicago White Sox.

Pitching coach Dave Duncan informed Ponson of the move Friday night, three days after Ponson lasted 3 1/3 innings in a 9-7 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Ponson on Saturday acknowledged being told of the move but had little else to say. Asked if he had anticipated the move, Ponson said, "Not really. ... But I guess they have their reasons."

Several factors contributed to the move: Ponson (4-2) has struggled since leaving the disabled list and was recently encouraged to more aggressively participate in pre-game running drills. The Cardinals' previously rock-solid rotation has recently sprung several leaks, dramatically increasing the workload on a stressed bullpen. And, Reyes has impressed at Memphis and in spot starts against the Kansas City Royals and the Houston Astros.

Reyes is 4-1 in 11 starts for the Redbirds. His numbers include a 3.04 ERA and 65 strikeouts with just eight walks. He has allowed just 0.97 baserunners per inning.

[More in URL]