2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That worked out well.

Dontrelle really, really wanted to throw the last game. Even though they're playing for nothing. Really, really, really, really, really, REALLY. He leaves after 1 1/3 with a sore arm. Well, I mean, c'mon, who could've seen that coming?

Girardi must have figured, What the hell do I have to lose here?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Devern Hansack gets the BoSox a win over the O's in a rain-shortened 5-inning game. No hits, one walk. Does this qualify as the second no-hitter this year or not?

No.

They made a rule change back in 1991 (?) saying the game had to go at least 9 innings for it to be considered a no-no.

Let's see the A's won....

D'Angelo Jimenez, Frank Thomas & Esteban Loaiza

If the Tigers win....

Magglio Ordonez

And if the Mets win...

Jose Valentin and, of course, the bench coach, Jerry Manuel

Will all be in the LCS and they were all members of the 2003 White Sox.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Oct 6, 2006 -> 08:54 PM)
Let's see the A's won....

D'Angelo Jimenez, Frank Thomas & Esteban Loaiza

If the Tigers win....

Magglio Ordonez

And if the Mets win...

Jose Valentin and, of course, the bench coach, Jerry Manuel

Will all be in the LCS and they were all members of the 2003 White Sox.

El Duque (Mets) former Sox too (not 2003 tho)

Last night during the ALCS Game, in about the middle of the game:

The 3 in the booth are talking about Jim Leyland and how important a manager can be to winning. How he set a winning attitude, etc.

Brennaman tosses out something to the effect of "I can think of a manager who won a world series with the Cincinnati Reds who was pretty good as well"

Lou Pinella: "Yeah, we were pretty good. I like winning"

Steve Lyons immediately tosses out: "Then why did you take that Tampa Bay job!?"

A few seconds of really, really awkward silence follows, before Thom tries to cover for Pinella by saying the management promised to build more and so on.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
Last night during the ALCS Game, in about the middle of the game:

The 3 in the booth are talking about Jim Leyland and how important a manager can be to winning. How he set a winning attitude, etc.

Brennaman tosses out something to the effect of "I can think of a manager who won a world series with the Cincinnati Reds who was pretty good as well"

Lou Pinella: "Yeah, we were pretty good. I like winning"

Steve Lyons immediately tosses out: "Then why did you take that Tampa Bay job!?"

A few seconds of really, really awkward silence follows, before Thom tries to cover for Pinella by saying the management promised to build more and so on.

Lou Piniella looked amazingly pissed off for a couple innings last night, especially when they were talking to him about the Yankees job.

I know a lot of people want to know about Lou and the Yankees, but they know he couldn't say anything if it was true, so why on earth would they ask? I'm just happy Lou was great with a comeback, talking about how good of a guy Torre is and all that.

So yesterday on Mike and Mike and BBTN, Steve Phillips basically said that this years Tigers team has a tougher road through the playoffs than last years Sox just cause we didn't have to play the Yankees: "But the White Sox didn't have to play the Yankees."

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
So yesterday on Mike and Mike and BBTN, Steve Phillips basically said that this years Tigers team has a tougher road through the playoffs than last years Sox just cause we didn't have to play the Yankees: "But the White Sox didn't have to play the Yankees."

And instead of Clemens, Pettitte, Oswalt, and Backe, the Tigers get to face the Mets/Cards pitching staffs. SO HARD

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
And instead of Clemens, Pettitte, Oswalt, and Backe, the Tigers get to face the Mets/Cards pitching staffs. SO HARD

I personally believe at least 3 of last years CS teams would have won this years World Series and probably all 4. JMO though.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
I personally believe at least 3 of last years CS teams would have won this years World Series and probably all 4. JMO though.

All 4 would have without a doubt in my mind.

The Angels pretty much lost the ALCS in game 2; otherwise I think that's a 6-7 game series for sure. If Vlad had been hot that series, the Angels could have easily won it too. And their pitching all around is better than either of the teams in the ALCS, and I truly believe that.

And both the Stros and Cards were amazingly solid last year. The Cards all around were a better team last year than the Mets, and the Stros pitching would have made either the Cards or Mets look like AAA hitters.

I think it should of been a blessing for the Cardinals game to get rained out today. No way I start Weaver tomorrow. Skip him for Suppan and than Carpenter in Game 2.

But LaRussa is sticking to his guns and throwing Weaver in Game 1. What a joke.

Of course if Weaver throws 6 shut out innings and St. Louis wins game 1, I'll delete my post. ;)

Edited by Brian

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
I think it should of been a blessing for the Cardinals game to get rained out today. No way I start Weaver tomorrow. Skip him for Suppan and than Carpenter in Game 2.

But LaRussa is sticking to his guns and throwing Weaver in Game 1. What a joke.

Of course if Weaver throws 6 shut out innings and St. Louis wins game 1, I'll delete my post. ;)

There's a reason Carpenter is on tap for game 3...if the series gets to game 7, look who comes out to start. Also, there's a non-trivial chance that the Cards will be down 0-2 while going back to St. Louis no matter who pitches (the Mets are at home), so game 3 could very well decide whether they even have a chance in the series.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
There's a reason Carpenter is on tap for game 3...if the series gets to game 7, look who comes out to start. Also, there's a non-trivial chance that the Cards will be down 0-2 while going back to St. Louis no matter who pitches (the Mets are at home), so game 3 could very well decide whether they even have a chance in the series.

Yeah, and after reading and doing a little reserach like I should have done before my post, Weaver is much better on the road so he would have to pitch game 1 or 2.