2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

Padres picked up the option on Mike Cameron (so no we're not signing him, we have just as good of a CF anyway) and declined the option on Mike Piazza.

Don't know about the money, but if we're looking for a 1 year rental as a backup catcher/right handed DH who could give Thome some extra time off...well...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
The Yankees are reportedly interested in Jeff Suppan. I hope that the Yanks think he's the solution to their pitching problems.

Suppan is the prototypical NL pitcher. He is effective with St. Louis and was with Pittsburgh, but with KC, Boston, forget about it.

From Rotoworld

Felix Diaz-R- Nationals Nov. 6 - 6:06 pm et

Nationals signed RHP Felix Diaz to a minor league contract.

Diaz, a former prospect of the Giants and White Sox, is back in the U.S. after spending a season in Japan. He went 3-5 with a 4.91 ERA in 44 innings for the Nippon Ham Fighters. A starter for most of his career, he could yet prove to be useful if he's switch to the bullpen. He's always had pretty good stuff.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
Great, just watch, another of the guys we tried out in those dark 03-04 years as a starter will now come back and become a solid bullpen performer for someone else. At least it's not the Tigers this time.

Well he couldn't really crack the Hiroshima Carp lineup for some reason the last two plus years.

They also signed Tim Redding, and local boy TJ Nall.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
Great, just watch, another of the guys we tried out in those dark 03-04 years as a starter will now come back and become a solid bullpen performer for someone else. At least it's not the Tigers this time.

This is a picture of Felix when he was a member of the whitesox.

battingtee.jpg

I wish he was a member of the tigers, good lord just think of Thome facing Mr. batting practice should give everyone chills.

Rangers signed infielder Matt Kata to a minor league contract.

Kata, who played with the Diamondbacks and Phillies from 2003-05, spent all of last season at Triple-A Louisville and hit .263/.318/.429 in 331 at-bats. He's currently batting .232/.297/.404 in the Mexican Winter League, where even Choo Freeman can manage a 900 OPS. He'll be considered for a utility role if Mark DeRosa leaves, but he wouldn't be a very good choice.

...and no surprise, President Bush announced he was going after his brother Al.

:bang

I hope the Cubs pay Carlos Lee big bucks. If I were to pick the worst contract that'll be handed out this winter, it would definitely be C-Lee's. Guy's gettin' heavier, is already awful defensively in LF, and is STILL going to get about $13 million per season. I'd much rather see the Cubs get him than any of the other huge name free agents (Soriano, Zito, Mats).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 07:49 AM)
I hope the Cubs pay Carlos Lee big bucks. If I were to pick the worst contract that'll be handed out this winter, it would definitely be C-Lee's. Guy's gettin' heavier, is already awful defensively in LF, and is STILL going to get about $13 million per season. I'd much rather see the Cubs get him than any of the other huge name free agents (Soriano, Zito, Mats).

Read someone a week or so ago saying that Carlos Lee was basically eating himself into a DH spot.

Tom Glavine rejected his player option for the Mets (7.5 million), and the team is expected to decline the option for him (14 million) as well.

It's possible New York finds a medium between both amounts, but according to Mets message boards I've read, opinion is the preference is reuniting with Atlanta.

That Mets rotation is looking rather fugly for next season. Fans on their MLB message board are discussing the possibility of Zito/Duque/Meche/Maine/ and one of Perez or Pelfrey. Mark Mulder was even mentioned. That's not a World Series team. Zito may not even happen if the Yankees or Texas step in.

Of course, there ARE several pitchers available on the South Side Minaya may be interested in....

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Man alive, if the Mets lose Glavine, they'll be in such a horrid position with regards to pitching it's hard to believe. They'll have to land Zito/Matz/Schmidt plus at least 2 more guys if they want to be competitive. If not, then that division is going to come down to the Bravos and the Marlins no matter how good the Mets' offense is.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 11, 2006 -> 02:00 AM)
Tom Glavine rejected his player option for the Mets (7.5 million), and the team is expected to decline the option for him (14 million) as well.

It's possible New York finds a medium between both amounts, but according to Mets message boards I've read, opinion is the preference is reuniting with Atlanta.

That Mets rotation is looking rather fugly for next season. Fans on their MLB message board are discussing the possibility of Zito/Duque/Meche/Maine/ and one of Perez or Pelfrey. Mark Mulder was even mentioned. That's not a World Series team. Zito may not even happen if the Yankees or Texas step in.

Of course, there ARE several pitchers available on the South Side Minaya may be interested in....

After losing Glavine, the mets seem like the team the sox can get the most from for Freddy.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 11, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
Glavine is probably not much better than Humber or Pelfrey at this point.

The Mets need a sure thing, a guy who can go 6, 7 innings virtually each time out from a veteran. Pelfrey and Humber can't give them that. Yet. With their offense set, they need to fix their SP.

El Duque is reportedly close to signing a 2-year/$12M deal with the Mets. That's a 2-year commitment to a player over 40 who has averaged 140 innings with an ERA+ of 92.

And people wonder why one year of Garcia at 10M is an attractive option.

Also, Boras has sent out his portfolio to interested teams on Zito. The discussion reportedly begins at 7/$105M. LOL!

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
El Duque is reportedly close to signing a 2-year/$12M deal with the Mets. That's a 2-year commitment to a player over 40 who has averaged 140 innings with an ERA+ of 92.

And people wonder why one year of Garcia at 10M is an attractive option.

Also, Boras has sent out his portfolio to interested teams on Zito. The discussion reportedly begins at 7/$105M. LOL!

That puts a smile on my face, just knowing that the value for whatever pitcher we choose to deal is HUGE.

ESPN Link

I don't know if this has been posted or not, but this seems a bit high.

The Giants, in the market for a center fielder, are moving along in discussions with Juan Pierre, the National League leader with 204 hits last season. The word in Naples is that Pierre could get a deal for three years and about $30 million -- if not from San Francisco, then somebody else.