Annual mess with Cub fans day at my work II

southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
It seems to me like you are telling the wrong people to relax. Maybe your company should relax. They sound very high strung about their own employees. Cub fans or not, what you do doesn't seem right. It may be your job and what you get paid to do, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it and think that it is the right thing to be doing.

Welcome to corporate america. They do this at a hell of a lot more firms than you know.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backing off the the ethics discussion...

The Cubbies printed 20,000 wristbands, which entered you into a lottery to buy single-game tickets a couple of hours before the online sale, each of the last three years. They ran out of wristbands in '04 and '05, but didn't come anywhere near using all of them this year.

Also, the online Virtual Waiting room was reportedly easier to get through this season.

The tide is turning.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
A bathroom is a place of expected privacy.  Where Title III comes into place with electronic survelliance is when you have an "expectation" of privacy.  Our acceptable use policies are specific.  Our employees have no reasonable expectation of privacy with their email or computer use.  We also do not allow cameras, USB sticks, or other times that could be used to remove data or intellectual property.

Again these are f***ing cub fans we are talking about.  Jesus christ.  Maybe we can ban the cubs suck shirts because they might offend their sense of being a cub fan.  Everyone relax.

Privacy is not black and white - it has gradients. Read here:

http://www.law.duke.edu/journals/dltr/arti...01dltr0026.html

A few highlights. For one, see in the overview, that law favors legitimate, employer-monitoring practices. Not individual whims. See also that 8 states, IL included, extend privacy laws normally reserved for public sector employees to private employees as well. There is also the federal ECP Act, which may also protect employees from willful or unnecessary interception of data.

Point is, you are taking a risk, a risk your company will shoulder. Don't make it seem like your arbitrary use of power is "part of your job".

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Good he should of been fired if it wasnt his job.

Yea, it wasn't really his job and he was an idiot. He would talk to people about emails they had sent to someone (emails intended for only the other person to read), thus creating animosity towards the IT dept. I wanted to b**** slap him out of the building.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
Privacy is not black and white - it has gradients.  Read here:

http://www.law.duke.edu/journals/dltr/arti...01dltr0026.html

A few highlights.  For one, see in the overview, that law favors legitimate, employer-monitoring practices.  Not individual whims.  See also that 8 states, IL included, extend privacy laws normally reserved for public sector employees to private employees as well.  There is also the federal ECP Act, which may also protect employees from willful or unnecessary interception of data.

Point is, you are taking a risk, a risk your company will shoulder.  Don't make it seem like your arbitrary use of power is "part of your job".

I will have to let the rest of the chicago corporate security investigation community know at the next Infraguard/Facist meeting that we are all at risk.

That mainly deals with corporate interception of private email. Like google mail and things of that nature. There are certain protections that I must abide by when I preform forensic investigations. I can retrieve artifacts offline from the machine itself, I however cannot connect the machine online and retrieve their email. We protect ourselves by blocking all personal mail.

Note to Mods/Admin: God I didnt think that this thread was going to take this ethics turn. This probably needs to moved to Buster. Next time I wont share with the class. :( Then I can have rest weigh in on how I am a corporate facist

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 06:07 PM)
I will have to let the rest of the chicago corporate security investigation community know at the next Infraguard/Facist meeting that we are all at risk. 

That mainly deals with corporate interception of private email.  Like google mail and things of that nature.  There are certain protections that I must abide by when I preform forensic investigations.  I can retrieve artifacts offline from the machine itself, I however cannot connect the machine online and retrieve their email.  We protect ourselves by blocking all personal mail.

Note to Mods/Admin: God I didnt think that this thread was going to take this ethics turn.  This probably needs to moved to Buster.  Next time I wont share with the class.  :( Then I can have rest weigh in on how I am a corporate facist

You're still missing the point. Your actions were NOT a corporate investigation. They were your own petty motives. That is why its wrong.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
You're still missing the point.  Your actions were NOT a corporate investigation.  They were your own petty motives.  That is why its wrong.

If you really want to get the letter of our corporate law then.

My actions stopped a group of over 100 individuals from stealing company resources. My motives have nothing to do with them not doing their job. The pleasure in stopping the cubby fans from purchasing tickets when they should be working was secondary to my primary job of protecting our bandwidth.

Maybe we should submit a bill to each of their departments for stolen bandwidth. We had one cub fan utilizing over 100 virtual waiting room sessions.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)

My actions stopped a group of over 100 individuals from stealing company resources.  My motives have nothing to do with them not doing their job.  The pleasure in stopping the cubby fans from purchasing tickets when they should be working was secondary to my primary job of protecting our bandwidth. 

Maybe we should submit a bill to each of their departments for stolen bandwidth.

If you did the same for other events or mass uses of bandwidth, including Sox ticket time? Sounds good then.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
If you did the same for other events or mass uses of bandwidth, including Sox ticket time?  Sounds good then.

If the sox traffic was causing the same type of issues that our cubby fans were doing with opening up hundreds of sessions and it impacted connections to the mainframe, sure. Oddly the same people who were doing these types of activites are the same people that complain the loudest that the network is slow.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
It seems to me like you are telling the wrong people to relax. Maybe your company should relax. They sound very high strung about their own employees. Cub fans or not, what you do doesn't seem right. It may be your job and what you get paid to do, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it and think that it is the right thing to be doing.

SSI... believe it or not.. it's done 24/7 by all types of companies more often then not. It's not about high strung.. it's about their right as the owner of the business.

You should ask your company - which is your right. I bet if you look in your employment agreement or handbook it's in there that they can, and do, monitor and read your activities when you are within their walls.

And for the record, I agree with you on the general thinking of it.. but they gotta do what they gotta do I guess. :huh

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
If the sox traffic was causing the same type of issues that our cubby fans were doing with opening up hundreds of sessions and it impacted connections to the mainframe, sure.  Oddly the same people who were doing these types of activites are the same people that complain the loudest that the network is slow.

OMG.. LMAO!!!

:lolhitting

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
wow, some of you people are unreal, this starts as a funny thread and moves into an argument over corporate policy? wow.

LOL..

Why the wow? Typical day at Soxtalk. :lol:

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
..... I of course was trying to get the Sox series tickets and figured if I picked off some of my competition I could have a better chance.  So I disabled their access. 

I'm glad to see sumone picked up the ball and ran with it. It's easy to say "give me a f***in break" or "relax" when if you were monitored as your employees are would you be able to "relax" ?

What you did was for you're own personal gain. It had nothing to do with company policy or the laws regarding the invasion of privacy.

My actions stopped a group of over 100 individuals from stealing company resources.  My motives have nothing to do with them not doing their job.  The pleasure in stopping the cubby fans from purchasing tickets when they should be working was secondary to my primary job of protecting our bandwidth. 

Maybe we should submit a bill to each of their departments for stolen bandwidth.  We had one cub fan utilizing over 100 virtual waiting room sessions.

Nothing is wrong with that. You went too far in bragging that you did this to Cubs fans, yet you still allow access to the Sox stuff. If your rationale is that you need to save company resources, then you need to do it to all.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
Nothing is wrong with that. You went too far in bragging that you did this to Cubs fans, yet you still allow access to the Sox stuff. If your rationale is that you need to save company resources, then you need to do it to all.

Thanks for telling me when I went too far. Oddly my boss didnt think it was a big deal, nor did our CIO who he told because he thought it was funny. They both had a chuckle over it and got a kick out of it. Considering both of them do my review and the CIO reports directly to the CEO, I think I am ok.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
I'm glad to see sumone picked up the ball and ran with it. It's easy to say "give me a f***in break" or "relax"  when if you were monitored as your employees are  would you be able to "relax" ?

What you did was for you're own personal gain. It had nothing to do with company policy or the laws regarding the invasion of privacy.

I find it funny that someone is so bent out of shape that poor wittle cub fans were denied their rights to get tickets. This is pretty amusing.