Suicide Attack on Saudi Oil Facility stopped

Balta1701

Well, here's something I didn't think I'd be saying...Thank God (Or Allah) for those Saudi Security guards.

Crude oil jumped after Saudi Arabian forces repelled a suicide attack on the Abqaiq processing center, which handles about 7 percent of world supply.

At least two bombs exploded after shooting began outside the complex when guards stopped two cars at the gates, Interior Ministry spokesman Mansour al-Turki said in Riyadh. The occupants were killed and two of the guards were injured, he added. The state oil company, Saudi Aramco, said production and exports weren't affected.

I have never understood why energy facilities aren't the #1 target of Al Qaeda. If they really want to screw up the entire US, take away their energy supplies. I guarentee it will have more of an impact on the day to day lives of America than just 2874 people did. It sounds horribly callus, I know, but it would be the most effective means of shutting down the US economy and causing real chaos nationwide.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
I have never understood why energy facilities aren't the #1 target of Al Qaeda.  If they really want to screw up the entire US, take away their energy supplies.  I guarentee it will have more of an impact on the day to day lives of America than just 2874 people did.  It sounds horribly callus, I know, but it would be the most effective means of shutting down the US economy and causing real chaos nationwide.

Where do you think Bin Ladin gets his cash?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
I have never understood why energy facilities aren't the #1 target of Al Qaeda.  If they really want to screw up the entire US, take away their energy supplies.  I guarentee it will have more of an impact on the day to day lives of America than just 2874 people did.  It sounds horribly callus, I know, but it would be the most effective means of shutting down the US economy and causing real chaos nationwide.

It's going to happen. It's just a matter of time. And IMO it will be coordinated ... for maximum effect.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
Where do you think Bin Ladin gets his cash?

If there were to be a significant attack on an oil facility...the price of oil would go absolutely through the roof. If that facility they almost hit today was shut down...we'd probably be talking $120 a barrel or even beyond that. Which would mean that the folks who are still pumping oil would make an absolute fortune.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
Not entirely true.  He inherited most of his money and it wasn't from oil IIRC.

Indirectly from oil...his family ran something akin to what Halliburton is in the U.S...a large scale construction firm which builds the equipment that oil companies use. The difference is that in the Kingdom, that company is there largely because of its connections to the ruling leadership.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Not entirely true.  He inherited most of his money and it wasn't from oil IIRC.

His family owns a large construction company that basically built Saudi Arabia if memory serves me correctly. Now adays most of his money comes from donations of like minded people, and shell companies that his followers run.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)
Indirectly from oil...his family ran something akin to what Halliburton is in the U.S...a large scale construction firm which builds the equipment that oil companies use.  The difference is that in the Kingdom, that company is there largely because of its connections to the ruling leadership.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)
His family owns a large construction company that basically built Saudi Arabia if memory serves me correctly.  Now adays most of his money comes from donations of like minded people, and shell companies that his followers run.

Ahh, ok. Got it.

Nonetheless, I agree with Balta's premise that they would make MORE off of the oil if they attacked.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
His family owns a large construction company that basically built Saudi Arabia if memory serves me correctly.  Now adays most of his money comes from donations of like minded people, and shell companies that his followers run.

Yeah, I think his original funding due to his own personal fortune was on the order of a few tens of millions in U.S. dollars...the majority of funding beyond that has come from things like Islamic Charities and donors in Saudi Arabia...who get a lot of their money either directly or indirectly from oil. So if the price of oil were to go through the roof...they'd hurt the U.S. and help themselves enormously. Which is almost certainly why the Iraqi oil system has been such a main target.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 06:14 PM)
Yeah, I think his original funding due to his own personal fortune was on the order of a few tens of millions in U.S. dollars...the majority of funding beyond that has come from things like Islamic Charities and donors in Saudi Arabia...who get a lot of their money either directly or indirectly from oil.  So if the price of oil were to go through the roof...they'd hurt the U.S. and help themselves enormously.  Which is almost certainly why the Iraqi oil system has been such a main target.

No, the Iraqi oil has been a target because they're trying to stop the flow of said money back into Iraq so we are not doing what we said we would. It's not to effect global prices per se - it's to effect the local economy there and keep it down just enough to start the 'civil war' people keep talking about because their lifestyle 'sucks so bad' because of the 'evil Americans'.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
No, the Iraqi oil has been a target because they're trying to stop the flow of said money back into Iraq so we are not doing what we said we would.  It's not to effect global prices per se - it's to effect the local economy there and keep it down just enough to start the 'civil war' people keep talking about because their lifestyle 'sucks so bad' because of the 'evil Americans'.

I for one think there's a mix of both...if Iraqi oil started flowing, it would put a serious dent in the prices you guys are paying for gas right now. A SERIOUS dent in it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)
I for one think there's a mix of both...if Iraqi oil started flowing, it would put a serious dent in the prices you guys are paying for gas right now.  A SERIOUS dent in it.

True. However, from all that I have heard, OPEC never figures Iraqi oil when setting output because of said instability.