Mariners sign Raul Ibanez to 2-year extension

SSH2005

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/spor...459_mari24.html

Ibanez signs $11M, two-year extension with M's

PEORIA, Ariz. — Befitting his status as successor to Alvin Davis and Edgar Martinez as the soul of the Seattle team, the Mariners have given Raul Ibanez a contract extension.

A source said Thursday the club has signed the outfielder, who is in the final season of a three-year deal, for another two years at $11 million.

Rather than elaborate on his contract situation, the affable team leader discussed his career as a Mariner. It began 14 years ago when Seattle signed him as a 36th-round pick — thought to be the lowest ever to make the Seattle club — as a Miami prep standout.

Ibanez's tenure was interrupted by three years with Kansas City, where he went as a free agent in 2001. He returned to the organization in 2004, having developed into a solid hitter.

"You know, I feel like I never left," Ibanez said. "I will always appreciate the opportunity the Royals gave me, but I feel like I've always been a Mariner."