Sox shuffle for more muscle

SSH2005

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...ack=1&cset=true

Sox shuffle for more muscle

Despite last season's success, Guillen tweaks batting order to improve offense

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

Published February 24, 2006, 10:19 PM CST

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Even with a 2005 World Series title, there was room for improvement with the White Sox.

For all of last year's hype about the Sox's "small ball" emphasis, they finished tied for 11th in the American League in batting average (.262) and 11th in walks and on-base percentage.

They also batted .259 with runners in scoring position and .248 with runners in scoring position and two outs.

The groundwork for curing the problems started as early as last August when general manager Ken Williams kept an eye on acquiring Jim Thome from Philadelphia.

Now the Sox hope some significant alterations in the lineup will be the final touches on a rejuvenated offense that will take a heavy load off their pitching staff.

"I think right now our lineup should be better offensively," manager Ozzie Guillen said.

That might sound like an obvious statement, considering the addition of Thome gives the Sox a formidable left-handed hitter to aid cleanup hitter Paul Konerko.

But Thome is projected as more than a power hitter. He draws a lot of walks (nine seasons of 97 or more), giving Konerko a chance to bat with at least one runner on base.

But the biggest changes involve Juan Uribe and Tadahito Iguchi. Uribe, once known as a free swinger at the bottom of the order, is slated to move to the second spot where patience is required.

And Iguchi, who performed brilliantly in his first season in the second spot because of his bat control and unselfishness, will drop to sixth or seventh to take advantage of the run-producing capabilities he displayed in Japan.

The only resemblance to last year is Guillen will have a mix of left-handed and right-handed hitters in the top four spots in the order.

"Hopefully we don't have to change the lineup during the season," said Guillen, who kept since-departed Carl Everett in the No. 3 spot for most of last season until his September slump. "You will do it, but I don't like to do it. Hopefully I can stick with the lineup most of the time."

With the departure of Aaron Rowand, Jermaine Dye is projected to bat fifth after batting sixth for most of last season until taking Everett's spot. Iguchi may bat sixth, which would give Guillen the option to bat left-handed hitter A.J. Pierzynski in the seventh spot and break up a row of right-handed hitters.

Iguchi also could have more stolen-base opportunities. He stole 15 bases last year while taking pitches for leadoff batter Scott Podsednik.

But Iguchi expressed an eagerness to run more in his new spot. He stole 44 bases in 2001 and 42 in 2003 with Fukuoka of the Japanese Pacific League.

"I think that's the idea, our goal," Guillen said.

At the same time, Pierzynski could move up to the sixth spot to provide protection for Dye.

"It depends on how they swing the bat," Guillen said. "Whoever swings the bat better will move up. I can wiggle and play with my lineup. If A.J. swings well, I want A.J. to protect Dye. If not, I want Iguchi to do it."

Assuming rookie Brian Anderson lands the center-field job, he will bat eighth. Joe Crede made a strong case to move up in the order by batting .371 in the final month and hitting 22 home runs during the regular season.

But Crede will remain in the ninth spot for now.

"I don't care where I hit," Crede said. "As long as I have a spot in that lineup, I'm happy, and we can help the team win. I think if everyone is on the same page, it will help the team win."

Another consideration is utility player Rob Mackowiak, who can play third, second and all three outfield positions and bats left-handed.

"Everything [depends] on how Uribe is going to work batting second," Guillen said. "We expect a lot of good things to happen from Uribe. If it happens, it makes him stronger."

Sox's projected lineup

PLAYER POS

1. Scott Podsednik LF

59 stolen bases

2. Juan Uribe SS

10 of 34 walks in final month

3. Jim Thome DH

Eight 100-RBI seasons

4. Paul Konerko 1B

.246 RISP last year

5. Jermaine Dye RF

.236 in 5th spot, .294 in 6th

6. Tadahito Iguchi 2B

198 RBIs in '03-'04 in Japan

7. A.J. Pierzynski C

.302 in 5th spot, .214 6th, .259 7th

8. Brian Anderson CF

Perfect spot for protection

9. Joe Crede 3B

.333 in 9th spot

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 12:51 AM)
Oh man, it's going to be a fun year.  Interested as to why Crede is 9th and B Anderson 8th, but it's not all that big a deal anyways.

Gives Anderson some protection, and gives Crede more RBI chances.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
And for some reason, Crede is the god of the #9 spot.  Small sample size but...

Joe Crede (career stats batting 9th)

177 AB

.305 AVG

.374 OBP

.571 SLG

.944 OPS

13 HR

34 RBI

I hope he can hit at that pace from the 9 hole all season. 177 ab's is roughly 1/3 of a season. Triple those HR-RBI numbers and you've got an allstar 3B.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
And for some reason, Crede is the god of the #9 spot.  Small sample size but...

Joe Crede (career stats batting 9th)

177 AB

.305 AVG

.374 OBP

.571 SLG

.944 OPS

13 HR

34 RBI

I had no idea Joe had done so well in that spot. I have no problems with the lineup now.

I hope he can hit at that pace from the 9 hole all season.  177 ab's is roughly 1/3 of a season.  Triple those HR-RBI numbers and you've got an allstar 3B.

If Crede did that he would be the second best third basemen in the entire MLB. He would be second only to A-Rod. I don't expect it to happen at all but it sure would be sweet. :pray

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 02:37 AM)
If Crede did that he would be the second best third basemen in the entire MLB.  He would be second only to A-Rod.  I don't expect it to happen at all but it sure would be sweet.  :pray

Better than Chavez and a healthy Rolen? I see where you're getting at, though.

Better than Chavez and a healthy Rolen?  I see where you're getting at,  though.

Yep, triple those numbers above and you get...

531 AB

.305 AVG

.374 OBP

.571 SLG

.944 OPS

39 HR

102 RBI

That would be second to only A-Rod. Only guys like David Wright, Aramis Ramirez, and a healthy Scott Rolen would be close. It's not going to happen but it sure is nice to dream. :D

Aside from just Thome's abilities...there's another real good reason why this lineup might have one Hell of a lot more thunder next year...Thome.

Trib yesterday

When they weren't taking batting practice off left-handed pitchers Arnie Munoz and Armando Almanza, Konerko and Thome were exchanging notes on hitting.

Konerko wants to know how Thome approaches each pitcher for each at-bat.

"I never got a chance to ask those questions [before]," Konerko said. "I've never really had a guy that I could look up to on my team that you know I could gain a lot of knowledge hitting-wise.

"We have a great coaching staff, hitting-wise, with Greg Walker and Harold Baines. There are a lot of guys who have been great hitters and been in big games. But there aren't too many hitters I've been around who have been older and who I've seen eye-to-eye with."

Just from watching highlights, it sure looks like Thome is one of those guys with real good power to every field, including a lot of bombs to the opposite field. That is something that every person here knows this team was sorely lacking last year...up and down the lineup, we had person after person trying to pull every single pitch.

We had Konerko early in the season declaring he was a "Pull hitter", AJ saying Walker was helping him try to pull the ball, Crede, Uribe, and Rowand constantly popping up outside pitches because they're trying to pull them, etc.

These guys don't need to hit the ball the other way every time they're up. But if their goal is to just pull the ball, they're going to turn into outs. When their goal is to drive the ball, they hang back on it just a little bit more, and they take what the pitcher gives them. When they did that last year, we saw Uribe catch fire for a couple weeks, we saw the Rally Crede of September, and we saw Konerko be one of the top 2-3 hitters in the AL after June 1.

If Thome keeps it in these guys' heads that they don't need to pull every pitch, that every so often they can go the opposite way when people pitch you away...then suddenly those popups will turn into solid singles the other way...and this team will be absolute murder to pitch to. If every single person in that lineup hit as well as we have reason to believe they can...this team could score more runs than the Yankees. It's not likely, and it'll take a lot of work, but it's quite possible.

1 last thing to remember...last year, there were only 49 runs between us and the #4 offense in the AL (Cleveland). That's not a big difference at all. The difference between the #4 spot and the #3 spot was 75 runs. So we could make a serious jump in how our offense measurs up with just some small improvements.

This lineup doesn't have many holes with the only real question mark being Anderson.

Podsednik - LH

Uribe

Thome - LH

Konerko

Dye

Iguchi

Pierzynski - LH

Anderson

Crede

Recent quotes like these are also very promising:

Crede talking about Thome: "He's not only a great hitter, an accomplished hitter, but he's also a guy who knows the game. I've learned a lot just from the past [few] days hitting with him on the field."

AJ: "I want to prove what we did last year wasn't a one-time thing," he said. "I was on a mission last year and I'm on a mission again this year."