Sox sign 1B Bucky Jacobsen

SSH2005

QUOTE(TLAK @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)
Should have been green, I had pictured Rogo in AAA at 1B this year but they keep bringing in guys ahead of him.  If Jacobson and Dugan (and possibly Gload) are in Charlotte then its probably back to Bhama again.

Casey's getting Rowandesque, every time I see him play on TV (in the spring games), he looks like a nice player, but management keeps bringing in guys over him.  He's on the 40 man, so we know they are not giving up on him.  He's like the guy who finally gets ahead in the rat race and they bring in a new rat.

Rogo should be at 1b ahead of Jacobson in AAA--or else he could be traded. Bucky seems the DH type with his body. Dugan should be in the low minors. He just played at Kentucky Wesleyen.

Gload is out of minor league options and won't be in AAA for the sox.

Jim Moore, a Seattle sportswriter, had this excerpt in one of his articles from last week:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/260228_moore21.html

WHAT'S UP WITH BUCKY? Explain something to me. How can ex-Mariner Bucky Jacobsen lose 25 pounds, have a healed knee and possess power galore and still not get a major league or minor league offer from any team in baseball? But then, I still don't know why the Mariners released him.

About a month ago, I started a thread about this exact topic, and players like Walter Young were mentioned as possible targets.

I just thought at the time, after what happened with Gload in 2005, and what he said when he was called up, there were some bridges that were burnt, and it was going to be hard for him to stay here.

Now it will be interesting to see if KW is able to move Gload in a deal or not. Not sure if Gload is out of options or not.

Gload, Borchard, and Munoz are all out of options. But I doubt Gload has any trade value regardless.

I really like this move. I remember hearing about this guy a while ago. Was he a top prospect for the Mariners at any time? All I can remember is that I think he was hyped up.

Is there any chance this guy takes that RH pinch-hitter job that a lot of people think we need? Besides not playing the OF, he sounds pretty good for the job.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 03:03 AM)
He's a good option to have at Charlotte if either Konerko or Thome go down, that's for sure.  Here are some videos of the homers he hit with the Mariners in 2004:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player_...layer_id=430944

Dude's definitely got some power. That first upper deck shot was monster.

Hey all! It's good to see that you've found Bucky and appreciate him. Wait until you meet him in person - quality all the way around.

I thought I would give some background in response to a couple of posts.

It took Bucky a long time to get the minors due to a couple of injuries. Bucky's first season in Huntsville (1999), Bucky slide wrong into second and torqued his knee. He played on the knee and after struggling a bit he was sent down to High A ball. Bucky went on a tear in Huntsville the next season. He had been named to the AA All-Star Game (when they had one) and broke his wrist in a play at first base about four games before the All-Star Game. It was about a week later the Brewers traded for Richie Sexson, so it would've been interesting to see what would've been if the injury didn't happen.

After bouncing around in the Brewers organization, Bucky was released and caught on with the Cardinals. He had a big season in 2003 but no room for a call up. He then got to live his dream and signed with Seattle.

In terms of his power, the videos tell it. In Tacoma, the wall in dead center (around 400 ft) is about 20 feet tall. He hit a shot over that. When his was playing for the Beloit Snappers, he hit a shot to left in Kane County that easily cleared the utility shed past the fence. When the Mariners came to the Cell in 2004, Bucky's batting practice shots were half way up into the seats consistently.

I think Bucky is a great insurance policy for the Sox. I'll let you know of the roadtrip to Indy to see him play if anyone is interested.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 03:13 AM)
And it's not like Safeco is an easy park to hit them in.  I love this signing.  Even if it's just for depth/insurance.

Neither is the Met I still remember what he did to Danny Wright pitch. Longest HR at the Met I believe. It might have finally landed in some foreign country

QUOTE(BuckyBacker @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
Hey all! It's good to see that you've found Bucky and appreciate him. Wait until you meet him in person - quality all the way around.

I thought I would give some background in response to a couple of posts.

It took Bucky a long time to get the minors due to a couple of injuries. Bucky's first season in Huntsville (1999), Bucky slide wrong into second and torqued his knee. He played on the knee and after struggling a bit he was sent down to High A ball. Bucky went on a tear in Huntsville the next season. He had been named to the AA All-Star Game (when they had one) and broke his wrist in a play at first base about four games before the All-Star Game. It was about a week later the Brewers traded for Richie Sexson, so it would've been interesting to see what would've been if the injury didn't happen.

After bouncing around in the Brewers organization, Bucky was released and caught on with the Cardinals. He had a big season in 2003 but no room for a call up. He then got to live his dream and signed with Seattle.

In terms of his power, the videos tell it. In Tacoma, the wall in dead center (around 400 ft) is about 20 feet tall. He hit a shot over that. When his was playing for the Beloit Snappers, he hit a shot to left in Kane County that easily cleared the utility shed past the fence. When the Mariners came to the Cell in 2004, Bucky's batting practice shots were half way up into the seats consistently.

I think Bucky is a great insurance policy for the Sox. I'll let you know of the roadtrip to Indy to see him play if anyone is interested.

Welcome aboard He also I believe has the longest bomb at the Hoover Met I believe while with the Stars if not it is really close. He hit an absolute bomb.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Sign on the dotted line: The White Sox signed first baseman Bucky Jacobsen to a Minor League contract. Jacobsen was not extended a Major League invite, but he will report to Minor League camp in Tucson.

Jacobsen, 30, became somewhat of a cult hero with the Mariners, reaching the Major Leagues after playing parts of eight seasons in the Minors. The powerful right-handed hitter posted a .275 average, with nine home runs and 28 RBIs over 160 at-bats for Seattle in 2004, but knee problems limited Jacobsen to just 66 at-bats with Triple-A Tacoma in 2005.

"If he was healthy last year, we wouldn't get the guy," said White Sox director of player development Dave Wilder of Jacobsen. "We can add some insurance with him in Triple-A."

Wilder anticipates Charlotte being very young, position player-wise. Along with serving as far-ranging insurance, Jacobsen immediately becomes a strong influence on the Knights' lineup.

"I've known Bucky for a little bit," Wilder said. "We felt the makeup was good with our kids, and he fits in with our organization."

• 1 month later...

Just as an FYI, Bucky is no longer with the White Sox. Last week he had signed with the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League so he could remain a free agent during the season. Yesterday, he signed with St. Louis.

I still haven't heard from Bucky or his agent as to the exact ins and outs of leaving the White Sox, but I'll post them as soon as I do.

QUOTE(BuckyBacker @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
Just as an FYI, Bucky is no longer with the White Sox. Last week he had signed with the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League so he could remain a free agent during the season. Yesterday, he signed with St. Louis.

I still haven't heard from Bucky or his agent as to the exact ins and outs of leaving the White Sox, but I'll post them as soon as I do.

Just a guess: his road to the majors is completely blocked with the White Sox.

Doesn't seem that difficult. :huh: