Crede Talk

greasywheels121

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox25.html

Sox back to back talk

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

TUCSON, Ariz. -- At some point during the season, general manager Ken Williams said he would like nothing more than to sit down with Joe Crede and hammer out a multiyear contract to keep the third baseman in a White Sox uniform.

There are two small questions that Williams needs answered before that will happen, however.

The first being how the two herniated discs in the 27-year-old's back will hold up, and the second is can the Sox put their feelings toward agent Scott Boras off to the side to get a deal done?

As far as Crede is concerned, he has come into spring training to answer both.

''We entertain and explore all multiyear options with our core players, and we consider [Crede] to be one of those core players,'' Williams said Friday. ''However, you have to have a reasonable gauge of long-term health prognosis.

''Fortunately, Joe has really been able to manage and maintain his back since he originally hurt it last season. That gives us a lot of optimism about his future. As more time goes on and answers are given to us, we'll entertain the idea [of a multiyear deal] to a greater degree.''

Crede has been on a program to strengthen his back since suffering the injury in 2005, and said that his health shouldn't be a question. At least not a big enough question to hinder a multiyear deal from taking place.

''I'm sure that is something that is in the back of their minds,'' Crede said. ''The only thing I can say is I didn't go on the [disabled list] last year because of my back. It was my finger. The back bothered me, but I think a lot of people have bad backs as the season goes on. I came back from it and finished off the year strong. I do think it's a situation where they do want to see how it reacts. I don't anticipate any problems with it.''

Crede anticipates even less problems with the Sox dealing with his representation.

The organization has gone out of its way the last few years to stay away from free agents represented by Boras, or even drafting players he represented. But the sides were able to agree on a one-year, $2.675 million deal for Crede this winter, avoiding an arbitration hearing.

As far as Crede is concerned, the climate to do a longer deal is now right.

''You do hear people say that Boras' guys are puppets, but no, that's not the case with me,'' Crede said. ''That might be the case with some other players, but not with me.

''Ultimately, the player is who has control of the situation. If you want to sign for this, you sign for this. If you want it to be handled by the agent, you let that happen. Ultimately, you also want to get the fair deal at the same time.''

Besides having security, the other reason Crede would like a deal done is to avoid arbitration hearings. Crede is arbitration eligible for two more years. He doesn't want that weighing on his shoulders. That's why he would welcome the club approaching him on a deal ''at any point this season.''

''If they want to do something this season, I welcome that,'' Crede said. ''Either way, or whatever they come up with. As long as I've got a uniform on my back and I'm here in Chicago, that's the ultimate.''

:gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox3:

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
I was pleased to hear Crede say that unlike some other players, he would be telling Boras what Crede will accept and not allow Boras to run the show.  Also, at the end of the article, he says staying in Chicago is a top priority for him.  :gosox1:

We'll see. I would guess that Mr. Bora$$ is a fairly persuasive fellow.

As much as I adore the credemeister, I think I'd kina like to see how he does this year before offering him a huge contract.

If you think about it, even for most of last year, he was regarded as a dissapointment. He had a good few months, but I'd really like to see some real consistency out of him.

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
As much as I adore the credemeister, I think I'd kina like to see how he does this year before offering him a huge contract.

If you think about it, even for most of last year, he was regarded as a dissapointment.  He had a good few months, but I'd really like to see some real consistency out of him.

That could depend on your definition of a "Huge" contract. If Crede convinces people he's healthy...he's still a pretty darn good player if he can hit .250 with 20 home runs and play gold-glove defense at 3rd, and that could be worth a couple years worth of a contract. Also, a lot of us still think the Crede of September has the potential to show up and stay around for a while at some points during his career...and if we were to sign him and then have the Rally Crede hang around, suddenly he could make any deal look like a bargain.