Borchard blasts out of the gate

SSH2005

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-cowley25.html

Borchard blasts out of the gate

February 25, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Come April, or even next week, it will be just a meaningless home run hit in batting practice. On Friday, however, it was an early statement from Joe Borchard.

Borchard, who is fighting for an outfield spot on the 25-man roster, hit an opposite-field home run off 2005 first-round pick Lance Broadway in a live batting practice session.

''Yeah, if I can keep hitting a few of those, I'll be OK,'' Borchard said.

His blast didn't go unnoticed, either, as several coaches and teammates made some comments to Borchard.

But Borchard isn't the only one in the mix. Right now, it's a numbers game. The Sox have to decide if they're going to take 11 or 12 pitchers when camp breaks, and that will go a long way in determining the makeup of the reserves.

If there are two spots open, Borchard and Ross Gload are the leading candidates. If the Sox take 12 pitchers, however, then only one spot is available. Coincidentally, Gload and Borchard are out of options.

''They will fight for the last couple of spots,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said Friday. ''I don't know how many pitchers I will take, but I talked to Borchard and Ross. Everyone has a legit shot to make this team. They will battle. Whoever is playing better.''

The key for Gload, however, will be showing that the injured throwing shoulder from last year has healed enough for him to play outfield. Between projected reserves Pablo Ozuna and Rob Mackowiak the Sox have depth at almost every infield position, but Guillen wants more depth in the outfield.

''We have a lot of games to go and not that many players in camp,'' Guillen said. "Everybody will get a legit chance. The guy who can pinch-hit and play once in a while, he will take the job.''

I have never liked Borchard such an underachiever but if he can play how he is supposed to it would be nice. But would Ozzie want a power hitter like him in his outfield. Seems like a spot DH.

Well, the homer is really irrelevent to me. That Ozzie comments however seem to suggest that it's Borchard's job to lose, as clearly he is the better OF option over Gload. It might not be "fair" to Gload, but on this team his position of skill (1B) just isn't in as high of demand as outfield depth.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
I dont think anyone ever doubted his power.  Show me you can hit .280, Joe.

I'd rather he put up big power numbers and bat .250 than to see him hit .280, and not hit for power. With his swing/approach, he's never going to hit for a high average.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
This is actually more discouraging news about Lance Broadway than encouraging news about Joe Borchard.

is it that discouraging to see a guy in his first pro spring training get a home run hit off him by a guy who's been in the big leagues? not that big of a deal folks

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
Wow, I wouldn't get upset at Broadway for this.  Remember, the ball flies out of the park in Arizona, and it was an opposite field dingers.  Man, I thought I was pessimistic.

:lolhitting Seriously.

This is non-news. Borchard isn't Babe because of a live BP homer, Broadway isn't a bust because of a live BP homer.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
:lolhitting Seriously.

This is non-news.  Borchard isn't Babe because of a live BP homer, Broadway isn't a bust because of a live BP homer.

this homer means nothing. Pitchers routinely throw what the coach wants them to throw. Batters are asked to maybe take anything outside to the opposite field. pitchers on the other hand may be asked to throw nothing but breaking pitches on the outside corner. It is called practice......................

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
There is also a Ray Liotta in the Sox minor league system (unless he has been traded).

He's also related to Ray Liotta, but it's like third cousins or something. There was a thread on it not too long ago

Edited by witesoxfan