IPOD Trouble

soxman352000

I bought an IPOD from Best Buy today. I get home, turn it on and it is working OK. Then I plug the USB into my computer and it flashes a message saying how the device is unrecognizable. Then the IPOD itself freezes and won't respond to anything I do on it. Is there a way to fix this and another question. For those of you that have an IPOD, when you bought it and turned it on were some of the words in a foreign language? Any help would be much appreciated Thank You.

QUOTE(soxman352000 @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
I bought an IPOD from Best Buy today. I get home, turn it on and it is working OK. Then I plug the USB into my computer and it flashes a message saying how the device is unrecognizable. Then the IPOD itself freezes and won't respond to anything I do on it. Is there a way to fix this and another question. For those of you that have an IPOD, when you bought it and turned it on were some of the words in a foreign language? Any help would be much appreciated Thank You.

It sounds like you shoud try going through the reset sequence outlined in the user manual. I can't recal it exactly, but it requires havinng the iPod plugged unto AV wall power and holding down the (I think) On button for 30 seconds or so until the hard drive is reset.

I had to do this the second day I had my iPod, and I have had to do it once since then, and that is the only issue I have had with it in almost 3 years.

wait a second, you cant just bring your ipod home and turn it on(well at least I couldnt). I had to download the Itunes programs on my computer, and then plug it in to my computer and let it charge for more than a few hours before I could do anything with it. When you plug your Ipod into your computer, it always freezes up, you cannot disconnect it from the computer without disconnecting it THROUGH the computer. And if you cannot disconnect it through itunes, usually a USB icon shows up on the bottom right hand corner of your computer screen(the three pronged wire icon), you can right click that, hit disconnect, and then hit STOP to disconnect your Ipod that way.

Is your computer up to the specifications needed for an Ipod? You might have to try a different computer. Or, you might just have a defective Ipod. I remember having all kinds of problems when I got mine, but they turned out to be nothing really.

My wife and I were looking into getting one for me, and one for her. But ya know...$250 - $350 is a hell of a lot of money. I just don't know if I could swallow that. I have so many things I would love to get, and this would be a fun thing to have that would get use pretty much at all times of the day, but still, they are so dang expensive.

The only problem I have had with mine is once during the first month, when I would hit 'shuffle', it would skip thru the first 3 of 4 songs before playing one. If I hit skip to go to the next, it would skip 3 or 4 more before stopping and playing again. I had to do the reset thing, and have been problem free since. Good luck.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 08:21 AM)
wait a second, you cant just bring your ipod home and turn it on(well at least I couldnt).  I had to download the Itunes programs on my computer, and then plug it in to my computer and let it charge for more than a few hours before I could do anything with it.  When you plug your Ipod into your computer, it always freezes up, you cannot disconnect it from the computer without disconnecting it THROUGH the computer.  And if you cannot disconnect it through itunes, usually a USB icon shows up on the bottom right hand corner of your computer screen(the three pronged wire icon), you can right click that, hit disconnect,  and then hit STOP to disconnect your Ipod that way.

Is your computer up to the specifications needed for an Ipod?  You might have to try a different computer.  Or, you might just have a defective Ipod.  I remember having all kinds of problems when I got mine, but they turned out to be nothing really.

Kyyle hit it on the head. Just install the software that came with your IPOD first, then connect the device. If you try and connect it without installing the software you are running windows your OS will try to detect it as a mass storage device. If you load the drivers first, then it will detect it correctly and associate your Itunes software with the IPOD when its connected. Now if you have a defective unit, then all of the above is worthless. I have had the 20 gig unit for a while and it works great never had a problem. Also make sure that you have your AC power plug ready to go if you update the firmware, as it needs a reliable power source for the firmware upgrades.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
The only problem I have had with mine is once during the first month, when I would hit 'shuffle', it would skip thru the first 3 of 4 songs before playing one.  If I hit skip to go to the next, it would skip 3 or 4 more before stopping and playing again.  I had to do the reset thing, and have been problem free since.  Good luck.

I had the same problem. Reset it and love it. No problems ever since.

QUOTE(soxman352000 @ Feb 25, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)

I had the same problem and had to reset it

Now my ipod tells me its out of batteries all the time when I just charged it. :angry: