Thomas bats

RME JICO

Thomas bats; Bradley breaks silence

It's a first for both A's newcomers; ex-Dodger doesn't discuss

L.A.PHOENIX -- Despite temperatures soaring into the upper-70s, this was not exactly a lazy Saturday for the A's in the Valley of the Sun.

Two developments highlighted the day: Frank Thomas hit for the first time since his second left ankle surgery and Milton Bradley spoke to reporters on the record for the first time since he arrived in camp.

Thomas' session in the indoor batting cage, away from most reporters and photographers, might have spoken the most volume on this day, though Bradley's breaking of his silence was surprising since he had informed reporters last Sunday that he wouldn't be doing interviews this spring unless developments in a game dictated it.

With A's players scattered throughout four practice fields, Thomas, batting coach Gerald Perry and trainer Larry Davis retreated to the batting cage for the Big Hurt's first swings since last July, when he was a member of the Chicago White Sox.

Thomas didn't quite take 100 cuts, but he and Perry were thrilled with what transpired. Although Perry was tossing underhand to Thomas, balls were rocketing off the back nylon screen of the cage.

"I feel good," Thomas said. "To do what I did was encouraging. Gerald Perry didn't expect it. I'm in midseason form. I feel good. I'm not going to do something stupid. My goal is April 1."

What pleased the A's to no end, however, was this sentence from Thomas: "I didn't feel any pain."

"I was really pleased," Perry said. "He showed me a lot more than I expected. He got some swings in and didn't feel anything. To be honest, he could have done a lot more on the first day."

Thomas won't be rushed to a field any time soon. The A's continued to stress that they will take it slow with Thomas, who said he'll likely continue his cage work for another week. He prefers it that way, since he said his mechanics go awry when he hits against live pitching too soon.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctime...ts/13966770.htm

Edited by RME JICO

• 2 weeks later...
he feels he is in midseason form after taking BP off of underhand tosses in an indoor batting cage for the first time this preseason?  Are you kidding me?

He said all the same stuff last year. But I like Frank and hope he can stay healthy and productive. Hopefully, he will get #500 and retire.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...hurt/index.html

Thomas has begun to swing in batting practice only in the past week, and on Monday he ran hard for the first time in almost a year and said he "felt great." He's done the bike work, he's done his workouts in the weight room, he's put pressure on his surgically repaired left ankle in what he calls "superfast" walking. The A's are planning to use him as a DH in some minor league games in the next week, too, though he won't run.

For all that work, he still seems a long, long way from being ready for the start of the season.

"I plan on April 1 being healthy. That's my goal. I don't know where people get this [other] stuff from," Thomas insists. "That's my goal, April 1. That's been my goal all offseason. And we're on schedule right now.

"I've waited enough time. I've waited eight full months to let this thing heal. That was important."

The A's have plenty of options for DH if Thomas is not ready by the season opener. But the team's goal is clear: Get him ready and keep him healthy for as much of the season as possible. The A's don't want a replay of Thomas' last two years in Chicago, when he played in a total of 108 games.

Hmmm, he waited 8 full months this time. Doesnt seem like a very long time to let a bone heal when it has been broken before. Oh well, not our problem anymore.

Guest V for Venereal
He's in his "prime" at 37("Look at Bonds!") and he doesn't think he is injury prone(1999, 2001, 2004, 2005)...why should we believe he felt no pain?

You're smarte beyond your years, Wite. Exactly what I thought, too - and I am probably as big a Hurt fan as you is.

Frank. How sad.

Edited by V for Venereal

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)
i don't know, eight months seems like a long time to heal up

i would agree with you if it wasnt the navicular bone. IIRC, this is the bone that allows your ankle to pivot and move around. The stresses that Thomas consistently puts on his feet when hitting and running(walking) the bases arent conducive to letting that bone heal, especially since he is such a large man. If this were something like breaking a metacarpal in his foot, or even his tibula or fibula, I would think that 8 months would be a very long time for healing. But we have seen the past 3 years, and know how much it has taken out of Thomas. I dont want him to leave the game like this, but I just dont see his body allowing him to continue. He just doesnt recover like he used to.