Troy Percival ends comeback for now

SSH2005

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/n...t=.jsp&c_id=det

Percival ends comeback, for now

Closer has not yet made official decision on retirement

LAKELAND, Fla. -- A simulated game brought home reality for Troy Percival, who announced Sunday that he's ending his comeback attempt.

The Tigers reliever stopped just shy of calling his retirement final, saying that he wants to see if his arm feels any better in a couple of weeks, but admitted that he has "probably" thrown his last pitch.

That final offering came in a simulated game Sunday afternoon that hammered home where he stood. Pitching the final inning of the six-inning contest at Joker Marchant Stadium, Percival gave up a mammoth home run to non-roster invitee Mike Rabelo. The ball landed on the roof of the batting cage building beyond right field.

Percival finished out the inning, then met with the coaching staff after everyone had returned to the clubhouse.

"I've been fighting it all spring," Percival said. "I thought I could give this organization an opportunity to make a decision. I tried to go back to the arm angle I'm accustomed to, and it's just not there. There's a lot of pain. Right now, I can't help this club, physically. Mentally and with my heart, I think I can, but I have to be realistic and say there's no way, physically, I can go out and help this club right now."

The 36-year-old has been throwing bullpen sessions in camp, hoping he could get enough out of his arm to pitch again in the Major Leagues. He hadn't done that since last July, when a muscle mass tear around his throwing elbow left him unable to do basic activities with his right arm.

Thus likely ends the career of one of the greatest closers of his generation. Percival is tied for 10th on the all-time Major League saves list with 324. Only Trevor Hoffman, John Franco and Mariano Rivera own more among active players.

All but eight of Percival's saves came with the Angels, for whom he began his career in 1995 and became one of the most feared closers in the game. He earned four All-Star selections, posted six consecutive seasons with at least 30 saves and recorded seven postseason saves in the Angels' run to the 2002 world championship.

Percival signed a two-year, $12 million contract with the Tigers as a free agent following the 2004 season. He pitched in 26 games for Detroit last year before going on the DL for good in July. The Tigers proceeded into this season assuming Percival would not be able to pitch and certainly wouldn't be able to close. Detroit signed another free agent closer, Todd Jones, to a two-year, $11 million deal.

Percival offered to remain in the organization as a coach or instructor, something president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said they'll consider. Barring a drastic improvement, however, that will be the best Percival can give.

"I always wait for something miraculous to happen," Percival said. "I probably don't think it's going to happen, but I'll keep doing what they ask me to do."

I sure like when the Tigers waste $12 million bucks.

ph_120044.jpg

"SO DO I !!!"

Sounds like Percival is going to retire...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-t...ov=ap&type=lgns

Tigers reliever Percival leaves training camp

February 27, 2006

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) -- Detroit Tigers reliever Troy Percival has left training camp, perhaps for good.

The 11-year major league veteran, who is 10th on the league's career saves list with 324, left after a painful performance Sunday in a simulated game.

His locker was cleaned out and the nameplate removed, and he could not be reached for comment on Monday.

The four-time All-Star struggled mightily in his inning of relief at Joker Marchant Stadium, which included a long home run to nonroster invitee Mike Rabelo.

"Obviously, in his mind, he doesn't think that he's ready to compete at this level," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Monday.

Percival partially tore a muscle near his pitching elbow last July and hasn't been the same since.

After signing a two-year, $12-million contract before last season to be the Tigers' closer, the injury limited Percival to 26 appearances.

The 36-year-old was a disappointing 1-3 with a 5.76 ERA and eight saves last season.

Percival spent the first 10 years of his career with the Los Angeles Angels, which included a string of seven consecutive 30-save seasons, and helped the Angels to the World Series championship in 2002.

The only three active pitchers who have more saves than Percival are Trevor Hoffman, John Franco and Mariano Rivera.

He has told reporters that he's in pain when he pitches and had to change the mechanics of the way he throws.

"I went seven months without picking up a baseball and I'm still struggling out there right now," he said before Sunday's outing.

The Tigers were prepared not to have him for the 2006 season.

"Never was I counting on him or not counting on him," Leyland said. "The plan was to get him in here and we'll see what unfolds and we'll take it from there."

The Tigers acquired free agent closer Todd Jones in the offseason and signed him to a two-year, $11-million deal. Jones saved 40 games last season with the Florida Marlins.

"We've got a lot of equipment out there," Leyland said of his bullpen. "We'll just have to see how it works out."

Still, Percival will be missed.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
Thats 2 bad I was always a Percival fan when he was with the angels... I mean im glad since he is on Detroit but always liked him.

man, thats just f***ed up. i dont care what team he's on, you shouldn't be glad.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 2, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)
man, thats just f***ed up.  i dont care what team he's on, you shouldn't be glad.

you didnt even bother reading the rest of my post....When I said THATS TOO BAD and the only reason it was ok was since he was on Detroit. Also he is like 37-38 or something so its not like he had a short career which would make it more sad. Really though everyone saw it coming especially the Angels so it isnt much of a surprise.