Could Chicago host the 2016 games?

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
:notworthy

I totally agree with you.  I would be against having the olympics here in chicago.  I honestly think it would be a waste of money and taxes would increase for us here in chicago.

...not to mention the absolute chaos downtown. It would be horrendous...absolutely unbearable.

Take your Olympics elsewhere.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
...not to mention the absolute chaos downtown.  It would be horrendous...absolutely unbearable.

That would be my problem with it. When I'm in town for the summer I'd like to actually be able to go downtown and such.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
...not to mention the absolute chaos downtown.  It would be horrendous...absolutely unbearable.

Take your Olympics elsewhere.

Yeah could you imagine the rush hour commutes into downtown? Especially with all the security measures...what a mess!

Do all of you guys drive to downtown or something? I would love to have the olympics here. It would be a great thing for the city. Holding the Olympic Games here alone pays for costs and then some.

I doubt the Metra schedule changes if the Olympic games are held here. Same with CTA. In fact, they'll probably run more frequent. I'm sure most of you guys take public transportation anyway. I say quit the complaing and have a good time watching a bunch of sports.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
Do all of you guys drive to downtown or something? I would love to have the olympics here. It would be a great thing for the city. Holding the Olympic Games here alone pays for costs and then some.

I doubt the Metra schedule changes if the Olympic games are held here. Same with CTA. In fact, they'll probably run more frequent. I'm sure most of you guys take public transportation anyway. I say quit the complaing and have a good time watching a bunch of sports.

If I cared about the olympics I wouldn't care about all that stuff but I don't so I do.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
I ask this question, if everyone is such a sports fan, why don't you care about sports on the ultimate level(worldwide competition)? I never got that.

Cause a lot of the sports in the olympics I just don't care about. For the sports I do, the rest of the world cares about the medals more then the U.S. to be honest. The olympics just never interest me. It's nothing against the olympics, I personally just don't care.

I agree. Aside from that, the L runs all day thru most sporting venues as it is, maybe run a PACE bus thru NU, but the L runs all over. I enjoy taking the L

Yeah could you imagine the rush hour commutes into downtown?  Especially with all the security measures...what a mess!

My chemistry teacher lived in Atlanta during the 1996 games, he said traffic was bad, but not horrendusly terrible. Chicago shouldn't be too bad, since we have a good mass transit network

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
Cause a lot of the sports in the olympics I just don't care about.  For the sports I do, the rest of the world cares about the medals more then the U.S. to be honest.  The olympics just never interest me.  It's nothing against the olympics, I personally just don't care.

That's a problem IMO. We don't care much about the Olympics anymore and that's why the US loses in sports they should win in. Personally for me, I love the Olympics. You get to go up against the whole world. It's the ultimate competition to me. I understand though that you don't like the olympics. Maybe it's just not many peoples cup of tea.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
I agree. Aside from that, the L runs all day thru most sporting venues as it is, maybe run a PACE bus thru NU, but the L runs all over. I enjoy taking the L

I do too. At first I thought it was bad, but I throw on my MP3 player and don't mind it. Or I'll talk to some people.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 09:34 PM)
My chemistry teacher lived in Atlanta during the 1996 games, he said traffic was bad, but not horrendusly terrible. Chicago shouldn't be too bad, since we have a good mass transit network

Yeah, I would imagine it would go alot smoother here than Atlanta. We have one of the best, if not the best mass transit network.

Sure, why not. L.A. pulled off a very profitable and safe Olympics in 1984, and so could Chicago, with the right planning and security measures in place. Traffic on the L.A. freeway system was at it's lowest in years during the 23rd Olympiad.......

:gosox3: :gosox1: :gosox2:

:cheers

Edited by SoCalSouthSider59

QUOTE(SoCalSouthSider59 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
Sure, why not. L.A. pulled off a very profitable and safe Olympics in 1984, and so could Chicago, with the right planning and security measures in place. Traffic on the L.A. freeway system was at it's lowest in years during the 23rd Olympiad.......

The security concerns have also massively increased since 1984, even given that 84 was less than a decade after Munich. September 11th made a lot of changes, to the point that in 2004 during the Athens games there was talk that we would never again see a small nation able to run an Olympics because the costs of providing high-tech and capable security had exploded in the years between when Athens was selected and when the games actually were held.