Kenny Fires Back At Frank

aboz56

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Do you honestly feel he would've ridden on the bench as a non-active, if he didn't give a s*** about the team during the playoffs?  He didn't have to be here.  He was there by choice.

Or maybe he just wanted to be part of it/be seen as part of it. I don't doubt that part of him was genuinely happy to take in the WS atmosphere, but as things developed, I have to wonder how much of it was posturing in order to get a new deal. There's no way to really know what his true intentions were at that time, but when you put the "I wouldn't have gone there" stuff into the mix, it sure muddies it up. Would he have gone to the World Series if he knew he wouldn't be back? Who knows?

And for what it's worth, I also wish Kenny would have taken the high road and just said something like "we wish Frank the best, as we have all along" and left it at that. But he's human like anyone else, and he probably just had enough of Frank's tweaking. It's unfortunate, but that's life. Everyone's not going to say and do "the right thing" all the time.

A few noteworthy points about this issue.

1. The Sox do have a history of bad mouthing or disrespecting players as they head out of town. In fact, a couple of years ago, I wrote an article that was posted on Bob Dylan's site about this very subject. Fisk, Ventura and Lance Johnson were a few of the examples I gave at the time. The said, I feel today that tradition has basically been put in the past. Magglio kept shooting off his mouth and Ozzie responded. Frank shoots off his mouth, repeatedly, and KW responds. That's totally different than what happened in years past. Olivo got traded and cried. Big deal. If he was pissed or hurt, it doesn't matter because he put himself in this business having full knowledge that players get traded. Aaron Rowand wasn't happy he was traded, but he expressed himself in a totally different way. There are no hard feelings from Rowand, yet he wasn't happy about it.

2. Frank Thomas has his own history. That history includes being a b****y, whiny pompous ass. If Williams would have had the final word, Thomas would have been gone a few years ago. Remember?

3. This point, I haven't seen any comments on. When Frank Thomas said he would have been back with the Sox for $1 million the first word to cross my mind was "Bulls***!". Frank has always whined about his perception of lack of respect. There is no way in hell he would have signed with Sox for that. He signed with A's because he was out of choices. It's real damn easy to say I would have done this or that, after the fact. As far as I'm concerned, Frank's just talking out his ass here. Frank couldn't let it go. He couldn't move on. It got to the point that someone had to stand up for the organization. I'm glad Kenny slammed Frank and his petulant rantings. It was overdue.

KW wasn't about to keep quiet for long before he lashed out also. Ozzie was smart by not having a comment.

I knew this was going to a popular topic here but 236 post WOW!! That's a lot.

Edited by whitesox1976

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
Frank will be back here in 3 years to get his jersey retired, his statue envaled, and his face to be put on the outfield wall. He is Mr. White Sox. Its just really unfortanate of him to take shots at the White Sox organization- the organization that stuck by him for 16 years through thick and thin. Taking shots hasn't helped Magglio, so why does Frank think its going to help him?? Frank, you have 3 years to make amends with KW and the White Sox organization, I would start now.

Don't s*** yourself...Frank's keeps flappin his gums...and it'll be a hell of alot longer than 3 years.

Looking from Franks perspective, I can understand why he is upset. The best player any of us have ever seen in this organization, yet he was not let go on the best terms and he is upset because he is being replaced and not given another opportunity (and even worse that the white sox are really good).

I think everyone just needs to let Frank be upset and I think after some time he'll come back and only be remembered as the greatest white sox (and one of the greatest players) of his era.

I'll always be a fan of Frank Thomas for what he did on the field, and I think almost all Sox fans are going to say that.

But this is what about the 2nd or 3rd time he's opened his mouth now, saying he's been disrespected etc. It's just gettin old, and Frank just needs to zip it, and make his statements on the field and not off it.

Do I agree with KW. Probably. Frank was never a model citizen in the clubhouse. Did KW need to go out in public again and come out with what he did. Maybe, maybe not. He could have just taken the high road like Jim Thome did.

The last thing we need is a slanging match. The focus should be on the team trying to repeat, and not on Thomas vs. KW.

Both parties just need to let it go, accept what's happened (Frank especially), and just move on for the better. Hopefully it happens. Wouldn't suprise me if this issue is brought again more than once throughout 2006, which would be a shame.

Wow, I just watched KW's interview on ESPN and he went at him hard. One thing the article doesn't mention KW saying is, "We don't miss his b****ing."

You can see the interview at ESPN.com. You just need to have ESPN Motion installed.

K-Dub goes ape-s***. :lol:

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
I truly believe things would be different had they sat Frank down and told them what their plans were.

Maybe, but how are you going to sit Frank down and tell him what your plans are. Things were happening quickly. Frank was called but doesn't answer his phone or return messages, which is his perrogitive. Remember a couple of years ago during the offseason when KW called him repeatedly but Frank wouldn't return his calls? I wouldn't play the game either anymore if I were KW. Believe me, if Frank signed a contract for $1 million with the Sox like he said he would (I really doubt it BTW) he would be b****ing about the "disrespect" a "special" player like he is was getting with such a pact. The guy needs to quit crying, he was paid the ultimate respect. He threw out the first ball to a standing ovation in the playoffs, they handed him the WS trophy at the parade making him to be such a huge part of the equation to winning it which he really wasn't , and they paid him $17.5 million for 340 at bats the last 2 years. KW most likely regrets saying anything, but maybe his comments will finally shut the Big Mouth up.

Just now Joe Cowley of the SunTimes was on the Score. He said that last night Frank called Kenny and Frank said his words were twisted. Kenny told Frank you better calm this stuff down, because if it gets worse, Kenny will lay into him with more behind the scenes things Kenny knows about. Cowley said he got this from Kenny this morning.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
Just now Joe Cowley of the SunTimes was on the Score. He said that last night Frank called Kenny and Frank said his words were twisted. Kenny told Frank you better calm this stuff down, because if it gets worse, Kenny will lay into him with more behind the scenes things Kenny knows about.  Cowley said he got this from Kenny this morning.

I'd LOVE to see Kenny try to pull some s***...

Love, love, love to...

Frank could, and I pray would, bury Kenny's ass with scandle. Kenny's got some major skeletons in his closet.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
I'd LOVE to see Kenny try to pull some s***...

Love, love, love to...

Frank could, and I pray would, bury Kenny's ass with scandle. Kenny's got some major skeletons in his closet.

This has entered 'creepy and stupid' territory. If these two are going to get personal with each other they should do it on their own time, there is no need to get the White Sox organization involved in this petty dispute. The White Sox have been doing everything right up to this point and now this s*** has to take over. :headshake

Well I guess the only positive is it takes the focus off of Ozzie and the players. :huh