Kenny Fires Back At Frank

aboz56

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
I'm aware Frank is a nice guy off the field and Sammy isn't.  But in terms of how they talk and what you see from them through the media, there is very little (if any) difference between the two.

I wouldn't even go that far. Media comments towards their previous teams, yes. But Frank is stellar with the media on things not concerning a contract or his relationship with Kenny. Charities, the roid hearings, fans... Frank can say no wrong when dealing with those things. He's going to be an awesome ambassador once he retires.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
I wouldn't even go that far. Media comments towards their previous teams, yes. But Frank is stellar with the media on things not concerning a contract or his relationship with Kenny. Charities, the roid hearings, fans... Frank can say no wrong when dealing with those things. He's going to be an awesome ambassador once he retires.

It's too bad this stuff seriously tarnishes his image, though.

I've been surprised at the national reaction to Williams' comments this morning. Mike and Mike, whom I usually trust to give a fair assessment of sports, defended Williams. They didn't ignore Thomas' comments leading up to the outburst, as was the case with Ordonez last year. Sportscenter didn't cast their usual negative shadow upon our organization. Just reported the facts, without analysis. Perhaps more follow-ups will ensue, but I expected much worse.

Honestly, I believe if you're not associated with the White Sox or Oakland, you probably don't have much of an opinion on the topic. Similar to Guillen's comments concerning Arod, Yankee and White Sox fans were debating the topic, whereas the rest of the nation was either entertained or indifferent. Quite frankly, they may have agreed with Guillen.

I also belive this is a situation where publically, general managers and MLB associates may disagree with the comments, but privately, they commend Williams. Does anyone presume Boston wouldn't cherish the opportunity to insult Ramirez once he leaves? Or San Francisco with Bonds? I'm sure Hendry would LOVE to tell the nation what he thinks of Sosa.

Baseball purists (a.k.a., ballplayers over 50) are likely applauding Williams. Listen to them reflect on the game, they'll note a primary difference between generations is the lack of respect and greed current ballplayers exhibit. You remove the fans of other teams across America, most general managers, and ex-baseball players--you realize not many will oppose Williams.

Williams doesn't deserve blame

posted: Monday, February 27, 2006  |  Feedback

Over the last five seasons, Frank Thomas -- who is paid to hit -- has had one season of more than 30 homers and one season in which he achieved 100 RBI. Yet during that time, the White Sox paid Thomas $39 million in salary.

Over the last two years, Thomas mustered a total of 345 at-bats because of foot problems, and in that time, he made $14 million in base salary.

He hasn't been a dominant player since the last century, but the White Sox kept bringing him back. They kept paying him big money. They kept putting him in the lineup whenever he was healthy. When he said he was unhappy, they talked to him. At the World Series last year, they let him throw out a first ball. They let him speak at the championship parade, even though his contribution to the championship was 105 at-bats. In practical terms, Bobby Jenks meant far more to the White Sox last year than Thomas, and so did Geoff Blum, Aaron Rowand, Dustin Hermanson and about 20 other players.

But the White Sox deferred to the Big Hurt, as they've done for years. After the White Sox effectively replaced Thomas in November -- with another Hall of Fame candidate, Jim Thome -- Thomas made noises about being disrespected. But the White Sox executives said nothing.

Thomas kept on complaining, though, through December, through January and to a columnist last week.

And you know what? White Sox GM Kenny Williams -- who is as respectful as any person I know in baseball -- had enough, calling Thomas an idiot. I suspect he said out loud what many in the organization have felt for years.

I don't blame him. The hardest player to deal with, Sparky Anderson once said, is an aging star, and the White Sox certainly got a plateful of complaining from Frank Thomas.

Rick Telander agrees with Williams, too: Enough is enough. And he mentions that despite 930 homers, Sammy Sosa and Thomas have disappeared over the horizon and no one seems to care. Thomas' departure reminds Barry Rozner of how Scottie Pippen went out the door.

Ozzie Guillen smartly stayed out of this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...buster#20060227

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:46 AM)
Looking from Franks perspective, I can understand why he is upset.  The best player any of us have ever seen in this organization, yet he was not let go on the best terms and he is upset because he is being replaced and not given another opportunity (and even worse that the white sox are really good).

I think everyone just needs to let Frank be upset and I think after some time he'll come back and only be remembered as the greatest white sox (and one of the greatest players) of his era.

that is what i have been trying to tell people. Kenny made no attempt at bringing him back or even checking on his health. It was pretty much a "don't let the door hit you on your way out" kind of thing. I wish Frank would shut up but I can see where he is coming from. I think KW is way out of line. I read the interview and he really didn't say anything that bad. He didn't disrespect KW or JR. Kenny should be fined for what he did.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
that is what i have been trying to tell people.  Kenny made no attempt at bringing him back or even checking on his health. It was pretty much a "don't let the door hit you on your way out" kind of thing. 

Source...?

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
i know somebody whose friends with one of the minority share holders.  He is from Israel I think.  He said that Kenny made no attempt but JR did want to bring him back but wanted medical information first.  Kenny made no attempt to see how he was doing.

:rolly

I hate Kenny, and would do nothing to defend him... but this is absolutely not true.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
that is what i have been trying to tell people.  Kenny made no attempt at bringing him back or even checking on his health.  It was pretty much a "don't let the door hit you on your way out" kind of thing.  I wish Frank would shut up but I can see where he is coming from.  I think KW is way out of line.  I read the interview and he really didn't say anything that bad.  He didn't disrespect KW or JR.  Kenny should be fined for what he did.

I've said it before...to think Kenny's outburst is specifically about the last Frank interview is incorrect. Based on all the comments that Kenny made, it seems quite obvious that this was all built up over the course of Kenny's time here.

I still don't think he should have publicly said it, but still, it ain't just about that single interview.

Arvia says the interview is on tape. So Frank's story that his quotes are being twisted is just as delusional as his claim he's in is prime, and his claim he has been disrespected. KW should have kept his mouth shut, especially with the quote about JR giving Frank a loan, that's not for public consumption, but when you hear the same thing over and over again, you have to eventually say something.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:39 AM)
Don't s*** yourself...Frank's keeps flappin his gums...and it'll be a hell of alot longer than 3 years.

I agree with you 100%, he Frank keeps mouthing off it may be 5 years before his number is retired. Kenny isn't forget this for long time believe me.

I don't blame Kenny for firing back. So would I. When someone knocks the White Sox in front of me, I fire back.

:gosox2: :gosox3: :gosoxretro: :gosox1: :gosox4:

So many thoughts running through my head. Sad, very sad.

There was many seasons that by August the only joy in the park was watching Frank. Last I looked, no one bought a ticket to watch the GM. I wish Kenny had acted like a front office professional and kept on the high road instead of talking about the greatest White Sox batter of all time like he was some AAAA hanger on.

I wish JR had picked up the phone, and am shocked he didn't. In fact, has that been confirmed that JR didn't pick up the phone?

And finally, I wish Frank had acted like a HoF professional, and he too was quiet.

So my scorecard reads:

Frank, STFU

Kernny, STFU

JR, pick up the phone

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
i know somebody whose friends with one of the minority share holders.  He is from Israel I think.  He said that Kenny made no attempt but JR did want to bring him back but wanted medical information first.  Kenny made no attempt to see how he was doing.

Well, my Armenian cousin once bought a churro at the park while standing next to JR. He claims that JR and KW did indeed try to contact Frank.

Im sure that the sox looked into Franks health, but its been obvious for a while that hes not worth the risk. He had to be replaced, we cant afford to only have a healthy DH for a fraction of the season.

Kenny was a little too upset, but Frank needs to realize the fact that hes old and injured and too much of a risk.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
STFU.  I don't give a s*** if you believe me.

I heard that Thomas told the Oakland A's must have a clause in their contract that says he must be contacted if they decide to not renew. It's all because my cousin's uncle's aunt's sister-in-law told me so. :lolhitting

I heard that Thomas told the Oakland A's must have a clause in their contract that says he must be contacted if they decide to not renew.  It's all because my cousin's uncle's aunt's sister-in-law told me so.  :lolhitting

KW has been a s***ty GM ever since he dumped Shingo.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 11:47 PM)
Frank said what half the Sox fans in Chicago have been thinking for a long time.

Good for him

We have? I thought it was more what half the Sox fans in Chicago have been thinking regarding Frank for a long time. I've read plenty of comments from Frank over the last 10 years which made me think he was making idiotic comments.

Edited by fathom