Great songs that were overkilled...

Kid Gleason

I was driving home last night and a song came on the radio. When it first started I thought to myself "wow, what a great song!" Then I realized it had been years since I had heard it, and I also realized how "overkilled" the song was on it's initial release, and how much people had grown to hate it way back when.

And that got me to this question. What songs, when you first heard, you loved. Then due to becoming huge hits, you grew to hate, and now after all these years you can hear again love like you did the first time.

The song that prompted this?

Jefferson Starship - Find Your Way Back

I'd like to hear any of todays "great vocalists" sing that friggin' song! Amazing to say the least!

Edited by Kid Gleason

I'd say "More Than A Feeling" by Boston qualifies for me as a song that I heard way too much of for a while, and then not at all for a while.

I put the CD on the other day and remembered how much I love that song.

That whole first Boston disc, for that matter. And the second one. But not much after that.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
I'd say "More Than A Feeling" by Boston qualifies for me as a song that I heard way too much of for a while, and then not at all for a while.

I put the CD on the other day and remembered how much I love that song.

That whole first Boston disc, for that matter. And the second one. But not much after that.

Boston is definitely something that was overkilled. However, there's not a bad song on that first album. And Sib rocked a mean afro.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
A lot of Pearl Jam.

I never was a big fan, largely because they were so overplayed. Now that I don't hear them often, largely because I hardly ever listen to the radio, i recognize how good they really were.

"Evenflow" has snuck onto classic rock stations lately.

I swear that I've heard it 15 times this week alone.

Man, I could go into a song a year for the past 10 years probably. I will just name some random ones I can remember getting insanely played out

The Verve- Bittersweet Symphony

THe B- 52s - Love Shack

Enter Sandman- Metallica

The ENTIRE Californication album- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Freshman - The Verve Pipe

anything from Nickelback

anything from Creed

Ill think on this and get back, i know I have many more

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
Every five years or so I rediscover Van Morrison.  I wouldn't say radio has over played his music, but too bad a LOT of his songs are the soundtrack to a LOT of chick flick, romantic comedies.  His music is kind of a guilty pleasure for me.

There's nothing guilty about it. Other than a small handful of stuff that got killed by overplay I like listening to almost all his stuff, except for the stuff he put out through most of the 80s which was decidedly weak.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
Man, I could go into a song a year for the past 10 years probably.  I will just name some random ones I can remember getting insanely played out

THe B- 52s - Love Shack

Enter Sandman- Metallica

anything from Nickelback

anything from Creed

Driving around one time back in High School, I heard "How You Remind Me" on five, yes five, stations at one time. I still can't stand that song.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
Driving around one time back in High School, I heard "How You Remind Me" on five, yes five, stations at one time.  I still can't stand that song.

My wife loves Nickelback, and by extension I love Tylenol.

:D

They have one song I like, "Never Again".

I got so overly burned out by Fleetwood Mac when "Rumours" came out that I couldn't or wouldn't listen to them for 25 years or so. Eventually, I was able to give them another listen and they are among my favorites now.

Boston, Foreigner and REO Speedwagon come to mind as groups that were also played to the point of overkill. Also Journey.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 07:47 AM)
Man, I could go into a song a year for the past 10 years probably.  I will just name some random ones I can remember getting insanely played out

THe B- 52s - Love Shack

Enter Sandman- Metallica

anything from Nickelback

anything from Creed

But do you like these songs or bands now? That's the key to this question.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
My wife loves Nickelback, and by extension I love Tylenol.

:D

They have one song I like, "Never Again".

This is a great Nickelback rip. Has two of their songs playing at the same time casue it's basically the same music.

http://www.leenks.com/redirect.php?lid=8013

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
But do you like these songs or bands now? That's the key to this question.

THe B- 52s - Love Shack

Enter Sandman- Metallica

anything from Nickelback

anything from Creed

The highlighted bands are the ones I can still stand. The whole Napster thing really soured me on Metallica, even though in the back of my mind I know that the old stuff is still good, I just cannot bring myself to like it anymore. Creed and Nickelback, no way.

Working at a mainstream rock station for 4 year REALLY made me change the type of music I like.

I would like to add:

Filter - Hey man nice shot quite possibly one of the best industrial F*** You songs of my generation

Nine Inch Nails - Closer I never stopped loving NIN, but it was a while before I popped The Downward Spiral in and failed to avoid track 5

Stone Temple Pilots - Plush When the album Purple came out, I think I put down Core for at least 7 years. The only song I could listen to was Wicked Garden

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
I got so overly burned out by Fleetwood Mac when "Rumours" came out that I couldn't or wouldn't listen to them for 25 years or so.  Eventually, I was able to give them another listen and they are among my favorites now.

Boston, Foreigner and REO Speedwagon come to mind as groups that were also played to the point of overkill.  Also Journey.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't Stop Believing made a come back this summer as well . . .

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
The highlighted bands are the ones I can still stand.  The whole Napster thing really soured me on Metallica, even though in the back of my mind I know that the old stuff is still good, I just cannot bring myself to like it anymore.  Creed and Nickelback, no way. 

Working at a mainstream rock station for 4 year REALLY made me change the type of music I like. 

I would like to add:

Filter - Hey man nice shot  quite possibly one of the best industrial F*** You songs of my generation

Nine Inch Nails - Closer  I never stopped loving NIN, but it was a while before I popped The Downward Spiral in and failed to avoid track 5

Stone Temple Pilots - Plush When the album Purple came out, I think I put down Core for at least 7 years.  The only song I could listen to was Wicked Garden

Core had half the CD on the radio and I still hear a couple of them a day.....then years later, Shangri-La came out and only had two on the radio(Days of the Week, and Hollywood b****)....and only one was ever played, and even then they never played it.

Edited by TheBlackSox8