When Frank comes back to Chicago..

whitesoxin'

Will you Boo him or Give him a standing ovation?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Will you Boo him or Give him a standing ovation?

• Boo
    • Standing Ovation
    • Neither

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
I sorta skimmed through this.

I agree with what Aboz has said.

About this poll, the question should be "IF" he returns, not when. Lets see him    step on the field first.

When works fine; it necessarily doesn't have to be about him playing against us. This feud won't last forever. There's going to have to be a statue and number retirement sometime.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
When works fine; it necessarily doesn't have to be about him playing against us.  This feud won't last forever.  There's going to have to be a statue and number retirement sometime.

Right, but that's awhile down the line. Nobody will boo him then, nor should anyone.

I still don't think people would if the Sox and A's we're to play tomorrow.

I just don't forsee him playing much, if at all in 2006.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
I think that's kind of the point, last years team will be remember for the way they meshed and the type of individuals on the team.  Carlos, Maggs, Jose, Frank all the guys that composed those talented teams were gone and they won it.

I realize that 2005 will always be sacred. I'm not disputing that. However, I don't look at particular players from 05 and rank them ahead of particular players pre 2005 simply because of a title.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:59 AM)
However, all of that aside, his behavior towards the organization is unnecessary and insulting.  He is acting like a child. 

Insulting? Really?

Part of me has a pride that is happy that Thomas has this much of an uproar just because he wanted to stay with this team. Apparently, he loved this team, this city, it's fans, a lot. And it hurts him to leave here.

I'm not insulted by that at all. A little dissappointed in some of his comments, yes, but not insulted at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, he wasn't part of the World Series run? Well, I'm not going to get into the hypothetical 'what ifs', but I'm sure glad that we had #35 for that month -- the team played great while he was here, and the offense received a much needed boost. I don't want to think what might have happened if he wasn't here for that time...

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
Beats the hell out of me. I just got my pocket scheduels from Grandstand yesturday,and Konerko is on the front of it. Last year it was Mark. You tell me???

Willie Harris was on pocket schedules last year too. I don't see a huge deal.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
How many World Championships was Mark invovled in? 1

How many did Thomas have anything to do with? 0

Its all about winning buddy, and Thomas never did that.  Mark might go to the Cards sometime in his carrer, but he might not.  I bet you if he does, he will not leave on the terms that Thomas did.  He will handle it with class, that is a given

This is all speculation by you. I'll play along.

How do you know Buehrle would leave on good terms? What if the Sox had offered him a 4 year, $44 mill deal, but he rejected it and accepted a 3 year, $24 mill deal from St. Louis instead, turning down $20 extra million and an extra year just to go to his hometown fans? What if he were to then take a cheap shot at the organization? You don't know what the hell Buehrle would do. You can speculate and I would venture to guess you're right. We could probably come to agreement on what exactly would happen, and we'd probably be right. However, we don't know s*** about that yet. That scenario may never arise, or if it were to arise, it may not be for 10 years. It might happen after 2007. We won't know until we get there.

Also...you do realize that by saying Thomas had nothing to do with the World Championship, you'd be making a bold assertion that you have not even tried to back up yet, right? Using pre-determined destiny, and taking Thomas off the team and putting Everett in his spot, we probably lose the June 15th game against the DBacks - but we still go onto win 7 straight! Of course, everyone here knows how much of a momentum boost that game was, and Thomas's homer to leadoff the inning, as well as his walk in the same inning to extend it to allow Konerko to put an exclamation point on the entire game by hitting a crippling 3-run homer gave the Sox a huge jolt and a ton of momentum for a number of games. Of course Thomas had nothing to do with that little run whatsoever. Nor did his 3-run homer in the July 5th game against Tampa have anything to do with a win.

If I may, I will be bold and say the Sox don't make the playoffs if Thomas does not play this past season. It's all speculation, and I have nothing to back it up other than what I already did back it up with - but if others agreed, I think we could pretty much all assert it to be true. If so, how many World Series titles has Frank Thomas helped bring the White Sox?

I think the score is 1 to 1...but maybe that's just me.

Oh, and standing f***ing o. The man is a Chicago f***in' legend. To not give him a standing o is classless, period. The man worked his ass off for the organization for 17 years. He put up some huge numbers, and is one of the best hitters of the past 50 years with relative ease - and I see no argument against it.

Edited by witesoxfan

you cannot take away anything that Thomas has done for our organization. But honestly I am hurt by Frank's comments in a way. Growing up I saw Frank Thomas as a role model, but now after all that he has said it kind of shows you what his personality is and it gets you thinking about what kind of person Frank is off the field. After reading the article today Frank showed me his ego and how self absorbed he is. I can't believe he would not have thrown the opening pitch if he knew we were not going to sign him. I voted neither. I honestly don't know what I would do when he comes back. I think I would applaud him for the baseball player he is but off the field I just don't know. Say it ain't so Frank...Say it ain't so.

Edited by WinningUgly85

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)
If you don't give him a standing O, then you have not been a White Sox fan for the last 15 years.

Whatever he says, he's still the best there ever was to wear this uniform.

sorry but i boo his ungrateful ass. giving him a standing o will only validate in his mind that he is right. did you not read the article where he thought fans were giving him standing o's because they wanted him back this year? he got standing o's cause everyone knew his ass was done with us after last season. that whole article is the most glaring evidence that he is the ultimate "ME" guy.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
sorry but i boo his ungrateful ass.   giving him a standing o will only validate in his mind that he is right.  did you not read the article where he thought fans were giving him standing o's because they wanted him back this year?   he got standing o's cause everyone knew his ass was done with us after last season.  that whole article is the most glaring evidence that he is the ultimate "ME" guy.

EXACTLY! While I don't agree to boo his ass...personally...I do nothing. *crickets* when they announce his name. That would probably hurt his wittle feelers just as much. But I do agree that if you give him a standing O...it would just validate in his mind that he was right.

btw...I'm going to the game on the 13th at Phx Muni...hope Frank will be there. Anybody want me to pass along any messages?!? :bang

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE(Wanne @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:09 AM)
EXACTLY!  While I don't agree to boo his ass...personally...I do nothing. *crickets* when they announce his name.  That would probably hurt his wittle feelers just as much.  But I do agree that if  you give him a standing O...it would just validate in his mind that he was right.

btw...I'm going to the game on the 13th at Phx Muni...hope Frank will be there.  Anybody want me to pass along any messages?!?  :bang

tell frank he can kiss my freakin' ass right downtown and PRINT IT!

:chair

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)
Do you really think that Buehrle would ever be in the same situation as thomas?  The answer is NO.  There is no debating Buehrle and thomas.  This has nothing to do with the ace. :bang

I guess we'll see when it comes time for Mark's next payday...

Never say never...

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
Had they listened to my bottom line, the conversation would be over.

Your bottom line doesn't mean anything against others opinions. If you recognized that, this conversation would be over. ;)

I guess we'll see when it comes time for Mark's next payday...

Never say never...

People forget that Buehrle is from St. Louis and was/is a die-hard Cardinals fan growing up. This article is from just over a month ago (1/17/2006):

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...C3?OpenDocument

As he has done at previous banquets, Buehrle repeated his desire to one day play for the Cardinals. "One day, I'll hopefully pitch here in St. Louis," Buehrle said. "I love Chicago right now, and if they signed me to a lifetime deal, I'd sign it. But if I get the opportunity to put that (Cardinals) uniform on for at least one game, I'll do it."

:o :ph34r:

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
Your bottom line doesn't mean anything against others opinions. If you recognized that, this conversation would be over.  ;)

lol

I find it funny that people took this whole thing and turned it into what would Mark Buehrle do if he were to leave the White Sox.

Most all of the Thomas apologists in this thread had nothing more to say so they had to switch things to some hypothetical bulls***. Pretty sad if you ask me.

If Buehrle leaves, he leaves. Hopefully it will be with more class than Frank. If not, I'll rip him too.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 08:20 AM)
lol

I find it funny that people took this whole thing and turned it into what would Mark Buehrle do if he were to leave the White Sox.

Most all of the Thomas apologists in this thread had nothing more to say so they had to switch things to some hypothetical bulls***.  Pretty sad if you ask me.

And the ring leader was missy from TP.. :rolly

There's some sad in this thread, that's for sure.. can you recognize your roll?

:P

I have 3 thoughts on this situation, and I thought they were obvious.

1. Every word of what Kenny said is accurate about Frank, AND THEN SOME.

2. and 3. These may seem to contradict each other, but w/e. I don't blame Kenny for blowing his top and going off with how big of a jackass Frank has been about this, but at the same time I'm not so sure a GM should be saying this publicly.

Oh, and the blind Frank defenders NEVER cease to AMAZE me. He's the best player in White Sox history, and he's also a clueless assclown. Nothing wrong with that, at least he's not some sort of criminal. He just needs to SHUT UP, although now that he got his words out there, so does Kenny.

Everybody and their brother knows Frank is eventually going to be whining about something. I actually thought Frank's departure would be a lot uglier than it has turned out, even with KW popping off. I guess winning the WS and Frank being questionable at best physically tempered the reaction a little bit.

Hmm..I opened this thread thinking there was gonna be some decent discussion, and what do I find? A pissing party!! Yippie! :P

I'll cheer for Frank his first AB, then probably treat him like any other player from then on out. As fans, we were not disrepected, and I never had to 'cover for him'. He was a great player in his hay-day and there is no reason for the fans to boo him.

I think I am going to totally shock some people, but I will applaude him.

He was the face of this franchise for 16 years, for better or for worse. He put up some incredible numbers at a time where not everyone was juiced up, and everyone knows that all of his numbers are for real. How many other of the leading hitters over this time can you really say this about?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 08:36 AM)

He was the face of this franchise for 16 years, for better or for worse.  He put up some incredible numbers at a time where not everyone was juiced up, and everyone knows that all of his numbers are for real.  How many other of the leading hitters over this time can you really say this about?

I'd be shocked and disappointed if you didn't.

Let me also say this: If this finally quiets down, by the time late May comes along (I believe that is when Oakland visits) I will end up cheering him. No matter what he does, it's hard not to, with all the great things he did as a White Sox. I am TRYING to seperate Frank on the field and Frank off it, but it's becoming more and more difficult.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)

He was the face of this franchise for 16 years, for better or for worse.  He put up some incredible numbers at a time where not everyone was juiced up, and everyone knows that all of his numbers are for real.  How many other of the leading hitters over this time can you really say this about?

Who exactly are you going to shock? Are you a closet Frank hater that I was unawares of?

Frankly, I can't believe this is even a discussion. As White Sox FANS this isn't our disagreement. You cheer because of what good he brought to the Sox. He never turned his back on the fans. While we didn't win a championship while he was a dominant force, he kept us afloat during the 90's. He laid the foundation for this team to be able to win it all last year. As you said, someone who is the face of the organization for 15 years is not to be booed because he was overly sentimental and a tad bit whiny. His production is what you are cheering for.

Since 2000, Frank was paid a total of $42.5 million from the White Sox. This is what the White Sox got for that money

1482 AB

244 RUNS

381 HITS

86 2B

1 3B

104 HR

282 RBI

278 BB

330 K

.257 AVE

.374 OBP

.527 SLUG

Considering he can't play the field, it is the White Sox who have been disrespected. Frank should give some of the money back.