When Frank comes back to Chicago..

whitesoxin'

Will you Boo him or Give him a standing ovation?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Will you Boo him or Give him a standing ovation?

• Boo
    • Standing Ovation
    • Neither

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Given the relationship between him and Jerry.. IMO.. Jerry should have called. A message from Kenny saying "Yo Dog.. thanks for the memories.. see yaaa" was s***ty.

God I love you Steff. That's all I'm saying. But I'm just "slurping" Frank according to some people.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
God I love you Steff.  That's all I'm saying.  But I'm just "slurping" Frank according to some people.

Oh you know how it is.. some people just have to b****ing and moaning or they aren't happy.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
Given the relationship between him and Jerry.. IMO.. Jerry should have called. A message from Kenny saying "Yo Dog.. thanks for the memories.. see yaaa" was s***ty.

I thought Jerry did call, but only after the situation was resolved (I want to say a week after?), but Frank was expecting a call before they decided to go another way. Which is asking too much, it seems to me -- the Sox couldn't know if other plans would fall through.

But in any case, 'I deserved an earlier phone call' is some pretty weak tea.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)

JR did call, Frank didn't answer, JR left a message. Does Frank answer his phone? I know a few people, my wife especially, who never answer their phone. If you have something that needs to be said you have to leave a message. What are they supposed to do, tell Konerko they can't announce his signing for a few weeks until they may be able to talk to Frank? For all we know they may have tried to contact him more than once.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
Should I apologize that I'm able to seperate the on the field and off the field actions of players??  Frank Thomas is my favorite baseball player and will always be.  He's a big reason that I've been a White Sox fan all these years. 

I didn't realize that was such a crime.  Yes, Frank hasn't been perfect off the field, but no one has been.  Frank will always be my favorite baseball player; he did some damn good things on the field.  This isn't about who my favorite human being is; I don't understand why everyone is making it to be like that.

Should you be separating on the field and off the field actions? If it concerns the organization, i'd say no. If he's in trouble with the law, that's diff IMO.

Alright how bout this one, completely made up scenario. You find out Frank was betting on baseball. Separate on and off field stuff? I'm just trying to hit on an overall thing here. It's a battle between frank and the organization at this point, not frank and random off the field stuff.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
JR did call, Frank didn't answer, JR left a message. Does Frank answer his phone? I know a few people, my wife especially, who never answer their phone. If you have something that needs to be said you have to leave a message. What are they supposed to do, tell Konerko they can't announce his signing for a few weeks until they may be able to talk to Frank? For all we know they may have tried to contact him more than once.

Kenny called. Jerry and him last spoke at his wedding, and have not spoken since.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
Should you be separating on the field and off the field actions? If it concerns the organization, i'd say no. If he's in trouble with the law, that's diff IMO.

Alright how bout this one, completely made up scenario. You find out Frank was betting on baseball. Separate on and off field stuff? I'm just trying to hit on an overall thing here. It's a battle between frank and the organization at this point, not frank and random off the field stuff.

Can't those who want to cheer just be able to without being told 5000 reasons why not to...?

:huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Kenny called. Jerry and him last spoke at his wedding, and have not spoken since.

But you aren't saying JR didn't call, right? Frank says in the Arvia interview that Jerry left a message a week after things "blew up".

I don't see what difference this makes, anyway.

Let me start out by saying if you voted for "Boo" then you really must not be a Sox fan. *Now insert a smartass comment about me not being a true Sox fan because I got a case of the Thomas Syndrome one day* Frank gave so much to this organization, and it is in no way acceptable to boo him when he comes home.

--------

Now let's imagine if you were in Frank Thomas's shoes. You are drafted by the White Sox, and you work almost twenty years to accomplish your ultimate goal of winning the World Series. The destined year finally comes and you get hurt. You aren't able to play in the second half of the season or playoffs. The organization that you have been the face of for years are World Champions, meanwhile you are on the outside looking in and two months later you are kicked out for good. How would you feel? I understand that it is a business and I'm not saying the White Sox were not justified, but it just sucks for Frank that this had to happen. I would be extremely pissed off and ALL of you would feel exactly the same way. Let the man vent.

--------

Anybody who makes the argument that Frank has been paid too much money from 2000 through this year, just stop talking. He did not have a monster contract in the 90's when he was in his prime. (Sorry Frank, you're not in your prime right now) The contract he signed was a token of appreciation and what he deserved.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
But you aren't saying JR didn't call, right?  Frank says in the Arvia interview that Jerry left a message a week after things "blew up".

I don't see what difference this makes, anyway.

After Frank was signed with Oakland. Jerry didn't call Frank previous to that. IMO, he should have.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
Let me start out by saying if you voted for "Boo" then you really must not be a Sox fan. *Now insert a smartass comment about me not being a true Sox fan because I got a case of the Thomas Syndrome one day* Frank gave so much to this organization, and it is in no way acceptable to boo him when he comes home.

--------

Now let's imagine if you were in Frank Thomas's shoes. You are drafted by the White Sox, and you work almost twenty years to accomplish your ultimate goal of winning the World Series. The destined year finally comes and you get hurt. You aren't able to play in the second half of the season or playoffs. The organization that you have been the face of for years are World Champions, meanwhile you are on the outside looking in and two months later you are kicked out for good. How would you feel? I understand that it is a business and I'm not saying the White Sox were not justified, but it just sucks for Frank that this had to happen. I would be extremely pissed off and ALL of you would feel exactly the same way. Let the man vent.

--------

Anybody who makes the argument that Frank has been paid too much money from 2000 through this year, just stop talking. He did not have a monster contract in the 90's when he was in his prime. (Sorry Frank, you're not in your prime right now) The contract he signed was a token of appreciation and what he deserved.

You should do some research my friend. In each year from 1995-1997 Frank was in the top 10 paid players. I believe he dropped to the top 20 in 1998 and top 30 in 1999.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
You should do some research my friend. In each year from 1995-1997 Frank was in the top 10 paid players. I believe he dropped to the top 20 in 1998 and top 30 in 1999.

In 1995-1997 he was one of the top 10 players in the game. 1998 he was one of the top 20, and 1999 before the season started he would have been projected to be in the top 30. Like I said, he deserved the contract that he got. Especially in 1995, coming off of a monster season in the shortened 1994 season.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
No one's supported Frank here?

All i did was state my opinion, as has everyone else.

Of course they have...

They stated their case and got told to check the stats, consider his attitude, etc, etc... As I just told you via email, fans cheering him - as well as any other player who's left here is their way of saying thanks. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. If Kenny has a problem with that then he needs to grow a pair.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
Of course they have...

They stated their case and got told to check the stats, consider his attitude, etc, etc... As I just told you via email, fans cheering him - as well as any other player who's left here is their way of saying thanks. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. If Kenny has a problem with that then he needs to grow a pair.

See i don't even think the stats should really matter, that's just me. Because if it were another player who did less, people would be flaming him and no one would be supporting him. But since he was a good player, he gets a pass? It's a double standard.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
In 1995-1997 he was one of the top 10 players in the game. 1998 he was one of the top 20, and 1999 before the season started he would have been projected to be in the top 30. Like I said, he deserved the contract that he got. Especially in 1995, coming off of a monster season in the shortened 1994 season.

1998 he hit .265. 1999 he missed most of the last month with an injury and only hit 19 homers. He got paid more than he was worth. He was the one who popped off about his 2000 season when he was worth the money, but then again, maybe not, considering the "greatest hitter in franchise history" failed to get even 1 hit in the playoffs. He was paid nearly $10 million for 68 ABs in 2001. Another $10 million to hit .252 in 2002 and then cried about the diminished skills clause in a contract HE SIGNED. 2003 he was worth what he was paid, but $17.5 million has gone into his pockets the last 2 years for 345 ABs. The subpar offensive years are made even worse by the fact they guy can't play the field.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
See i don't even think the stats should really matter, that's just me. Because if it were another player who did less, people would be flaming him and no one would be supporting him. But since he was a good player, he gets a pass? It's a double standard.

It's what his fans want to do. I don't see the logic in debating it. Agree to disagree.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
Whats weird is Frank has had a lot of White Sox fan detractors over the years, but he seems to be like a little brother to some. Its alright if you call him an asshole, but if someone else does you have a problem with it.

Who's having a problem with someone calling him an asshole..? He sure can be one.

I thought this was about cheering him when/if he returns to play a game here...?