The Darkness - Is It Just Me

The Critic

http://mfile.akamai.com/9139/asf/stream.wm...tJustMev_Hi.asx

I can't help it, these guys are kind of a guilty pleasure.

They're so much better when Justin Hawkins lays off the Tiny Tim s***.

They have a decent sense of humor and I like their sound.

That said, they were s*** in concert when I saw them in 2004 with my favorite band, The Wildhearts. Too many costume changes and not enough songs (all they played were the 10 songs off their debut disc).

Anyway, enjoy the wedding!

:D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:46 AM)
http://mfile.akamai.com/9139/asf/stream.wm...tJustMev_Hi.asx

I can't help it, these guys are kind of a guilty pleasure.

They're so much better when Justin Hawkins lays off the Tiny Tim s***.

They have a decent sense of humor and I like their sound.

That said, they were s*** in concert when I saw them in 2004 with my favorite band, The Wildhearts. Too many costume changes and not enough songs (all they played were the 10 songs off their debut disc).

Anyway, enjoy the wedding!

:D

Oh no, you arent wrong. I struggled for a long time trying to not like them, but they have this wierd AC/DC meets Queen vibe that really makes me laugh and actually rocks. True, Hawkins does fall in love with his voice a little too much some times, but people who can actually hit those notes probably want to flaunt it in any way possible.

Nah, they got great hooks and Hawkins has a great voice that he chooses to shoot to hell with falsetto that is terribly weak. But when he isn't doing falsetto, the guy has a cool voice. "Growing On Me" is one of the best songs written in recent memory. Once they get big enough that they will feel safe dropping the gimmick and falsetto jokiness, we will see an amazing band emerge. Give them one more album of this sort, and then we will see what they are really capable of.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
Nah, they got great hooks and Hawkins has a great voice that he chooses to shoot to hell with falsetto that is terribly weak. But when he isn't doing falsetto, the guy has a cool voice. "Growing On Me" is one of the best songs written in recent memory. Once they get big enough that they will feel safe dropping the gimmick and falsetto jokiness, we will see an amazing band emerge. Give them one more album of this sort, and then we will see what they are really capable of.

"Growing On Me" is one of my favorite songs ever. Catchy as hell.

I don't know if they'll ever drop the jokey gimmick. It would help them long-term to drop it.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
"Growing On Me" is one of my favorite songs ever. Catchy as hell.

I don't know if they'll ever drop the jokey gimmick. It would help them long-term to drop it.

They will eventually, and they already have started. Look at pictures of the bassist from the first album, and now look at him.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
They will eventually, and they already have started. Look at pictures of the bassist from the first album, and now look at him.

Come on Kid, he's not the same person.

Frances Poullain left the band in 2005 due to "musical " differences, Richie Edwards now plays the base. The darkness have come in for a lot of stick recently, mainly because the second album doesn't live up to the first in any way. Hope fully they will correct this next time because in my opinion, they are a blast of fresh air in an increasingly dour world. I hope they never take themselves too seriously. And boy do they put on a good show.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)

Frances Poullain left the band in 2005 due to "musical " differences, Richie Edwards now plays the base. The darkness have come in for a lot of stick recently, mainly because the second album doesn't live up to the first in any way. Hope fully they will correct this next time because in my opinion, they are a blast of fresh air in  an increasingly dour world. I hope they never take themselves too seriously. And boy do they put on a good show.

I think both discs are similar in that there are a few really strong songs and some pretty bad ones. Their good songs are enough to keep me interested, but I really would like to see them lose that falsetto. It detracts from my enjoyment a bit, it's too clownish.

But like I said before, maybe I caught them on an off-night, but they were pretty bad when I saw them. They're probably better now that they have a few more songs to choose from and don't have to rely on so much time-wasting and soloing to fill out a headlining set.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)

Ah, I haven't looked too much into it all, or paid too much attention to the band and what has gone on "personally" with them. I just saw recent pictures of them and noticed the silly bassist was gone. I was wondering if he was a new guy or the same guy dropping the "image". Still, they have a normal looking guy now, so they obviously weren't looking for a guy to "fit the part".

Thanks for the correction though. They get very little press on our side of the pond, atleast for this new album. I hope they keep having fun, but I hope they drop some of the obvious gimmick.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
I fought it for a while too, but when it's good, it's just good.  :huh

I agree, but I can also see how someone could REALLY hate them.

I think their better songs can rise above the gimmick, but unless a song is really good, the gimmick squashes everything.