Thome limited to DH until mid-March

SSH2005

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...rtsbaseball-hed

Thome limited to DH--for now

Sox newcomer not likely to play 1st base till middle of March

BY MARK GONZALES

Published February 27, 2006

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Jim Thome isn't scheduled to play first base in the Cactus League until the middle of March, but the White Sox newcomer remains on schedule to be healthy when the regular season starts April 2.

Thome has been participating in fielding drills and said his surgically repaired right throwing arm feels fine.

But trainer Herm Schneider said throwing is the last part of Thome's recovery from surgery last summer.

He isn't worried.

"He's going to play without restrictions," Schneider said.

Thome will be relegated to designated-hitter duties when the exhibition season starts Wednesday against Arizona at Tucson Electric Park.

Thome will play primarily in games against American League teams where the DH is used and probably will play in "B" and minor-league games when the Sox play at National League spring-training parks.

"He'll tell me how many at-bats he'll need," Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said.

"First base will be my decision. I don't want him to do something that will put him out for a couple weeks or months. But you might not see him too often at first base."

With Thome limited to DH--a role he will fill during the regular season--Ross Gload and Casey Rogowski will get more playing time behind starter Paul Konerko at first base.

"It's not really hard for me to get at-bats," Thome said. "Whatever Ozzie wants from me is fine. He's the leader who will make those decisions. That's fine."

Thome's Limited To Dh Duties Early On; Plus News on Frank

By Jason Gage

Feb 27, 2006

Soxtalk.com

Newly acquired slugger Jim Thome will begin spring training as the club’s designated hitter. Thome, who has primarily been a 1st baseman throughout his career (started his career at 3rd), will ease his surgically repaired throwing arm back into action...More