a guilty plea

cwsox

Ligue pleads guilty

Man pleads guilty in Sox park attack

By Jeff Coen

Tribune staff reporter

May 27, 2003, 1:09 PM CDT

The south suburban man who charged the field with his son during a White Sox game last fall and attacked the first-base coach for the Kansas City Royals pleaded guilty today.

William Ligue Jr., 35, of Alsip, entered the plea on two counts of aggravated battery in the Sept. 19 attack on Royals coach Tom Gamboa. The plea was entered during an appearance before Criminal Court Judge Leo Holt.

Ligue faces a possible maximum sentence of 5 years in prison when Holt sentences him June 18.

Ligue and his 15-year-old son made news across the country in the ninth inning of a game at Comiskey Park, jumping a short wall near first base and tackling Gamboa, 55, before players intervened.

Prosecutors say Gamboa has complained of hearing problems that may be permanent.

Ligue's son has been sentenced to 5 years' probation, 30 hours of community service and counseling.

Copyright © 2003, The Chicago Tribune

Ligue pleads guilty

Man pleads guilty in Sox park attack

By Jeff Coen

Tribune staff reporter

May 27, 2003, 1:09 PM CDT

The south suburban man who charged the field with his son during a White Sox game last fall and attacked the first-base coach for the Kansas City Royals pleaded guilty today.

William Ligue Jr., 35, of Alsip, entered the plea on two counts of aggravated battery in the Sept. 19 attack on Royals coach Tom Gamboa. The plea was entered during an appearance before Criminal Court Judge Leo Holt.

Ligue faces a possible maximum sentence of 5 years in prison when Holt sentences him June 18.

Ligue and his 15-year-old son made news across the country in the ninth inning of a game at Comiskey Park, jumping a short wall near first base and tackling Gamboa, 55, before players intervened.

Prosecutors say Gamboa has complained of hearing problems that may be permanent.

Ligue's son has been sentenced to 5 years' probation, 30 hours of community service and counseling.

Copyright © 2003, The Chicago Tribune

5 years what a f***ing joke

:fyou Ligue

:fyou lawyers

5 years is more than enough

depending on the probation report, I'd sentence him to a year.

I thought Illinois had a fiscal problem and no one wanted their taxes raised.

increased incarcerations = higher taxes (as in someone has to pay, there is no such thing as free lunches)

I bet if you sent your financial contribution to the Illinois treasurer, it would be accepted! :lol:

IMO, 5 years is good enough. The guy was admittedly high and drunk. If, and so far he has, he gets help and turns things around then good for him. People who commit worse crimes get far less.

IMO, 5 years is good enough. The guy was admittedly high and drunk. If, and so far he has, he gets help and turns things around then good for him. People who commit worse crimes get far less.

EXACTLY he was high and drunk and supervising kids. Why does being high and drunk in anyway LESSEN what he did????? To me that is like the difference between a robbery and a robbery at gunpoint. If you are drunk and high that makes more crimes that he committed. To me that is exaserbating (sp) the exsisting crime, not excusing it.

5 years is a crime all by itself. And personally I don't give a s*** about higher taxes. If it means things like better schools and prisions I am all for it. IMO that is one of the problems in society today is that the government pays so damned much money regulating peoples lives and thoughts that we don't have enough money for things that the government was intented to provide such a security and safety. This guy brutally attacked someone and is getting off lightly, and I don't feel safe with this guy walking around on the street.

EXACTLY he was high and drunk and supervising kids. Why does being high and drunk in anyway LESSEN what he did????? To me that is like the difference between a robbery and a robbery at gunpoint. If you are drunk and high that makes more crimes that he committed. To me that is exaserbating (sp) the exsisting crime, not excusing it.

5 years is a crime all by itself. And personally I don't give a s*** about higher taxes. If it means things like better schools and prisions I am all for it. IMO that is one of the problems in society today is that the government pays so damned much money regulating peoples lives and thoughts that we don't have enough money for things that the government was intented to provide such a security and safety. This guy brutally attacked someone and is getting off lightly, and I don't feel safe with this guy walking around on the street.

Southsider.. he was not the only adult there. There were 3 of them. He left the group in the first inning and they didn't see him again until the 5th.

And I didn't excuse anything. Had he stuck with the not guilty plea he likely would have just ended up with probation. The guys is trying. Sheesh.

And maybe you don't care about paying the taxes, but I - along with probably 99.9% of the US population -do.

Guest hotsoxchick1

5 years is good.... f*** him... lets hope the other clown boys who went out get something similar and everyone soon realizes that its not ok to jump on the field...........maybe we can have our park back............those of you who go regularly know what i mean...... ;)

Southsider.. he was not the only adult there. There were 3 of them. He left the group in the first inning and they didn't see him again until the 5th.

And I didn't excuse anything. Had he stuck with the not guilty plea he likely would have just ended up with probation. The guys is trying. Sheesh.

And maybe you don't care about paying the taxes, but I - along with probably 99.9% of the US population -do.

Isn't that almost exactly what happened to the last idiot who hopped out onto the field after and ump?

As for the higher taxes I do preface that with if it meant better schools and prisions. Like I said government spending is so damned wrong in general it is just wrong. We spend so much money worrying about what people say and think (censorship type issues, sexuality issues etc) that could actually be put to use education people, or getting people to work, it makes me sick. Government was originally intended provide just the basic services that utopian farmers couldn't provide for themselves, such as societial security, instead we waste money giving idiot Senators time to tell us what morals we should live by, while we set criminals free because of the costs of enforcing the moralistic crap that gets passed. It just ends up the the legal system has become another victium of the bloated government.

Ya know what.. call me crazy but if he gets ANYTHING it will be better than those before him and maybe, just maybe, deter future morons from doing it.

He won't get 5 years. He'll get 364 days.

Guest hotsoxchick1

my tax dollars shouldnt have to go to prisons..f*** that... you play you pay......i dont mind the taxes being raised for better schools but better prisons.. hell they have it good enough in some now.... your supposed to be paying for a crime not living it up on taxpayer money.......some of those prisoners have it better on the inside than they do out.. why do ya think they repeat offend???

my tax dollars shouldnt have to go to prisons..f*** that... you play you pay......i dont mind the taxes being raised for better schools but better prisons.. hell they have it good enough in some now.... your supposed to be paying for a crime not living it up on taxpayer money.......some of those prisoners have it better on the inside than they do out.. why do ya think they repeat offend???

I guess the term "better" prisions was the wrong choice of words. There is no way prisioners should be getting college degrees on my tax dollars when my wife and I owe $60 for our college degrees. What kind of a system is that? My tax dollars should be keeping them away from society, is a better way of putting it, until they have served their debt to society.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I guess the term "better" prisions was the wrong choice of words.  There is no way prisioners should be getting college degrees on my tax dollars when my wife and I owe $60 for our college degrees.  What kind of a system is that?  My tax dollars should be keeping them away from society, is a better way of putting it, until they have served their debt to society.

and once that debt is served they should get a job and pay back society for puttin them up for all that time.......dont ya think..............hell you have to pay back school why shouldnt they pay back too...........than our tax dollars wouldnt have to be raised each and every year to house them...

and once that debt is served they should get a job and pay back society for puttin them up for all that time.......dont ya think..............hell you have to pay back school why shouldnt they pay back too...........than our tax dollars wouldnt have to be raised each and every year to house them...

Actually I am fully in support of making prisioners work while they are in prision. I am torn on the chain-gangs, as it borders on humiliation, or cruel and unusual punishment. But if they are able bodied and able minded, there is no reason that doing hard time shouldn't mean doing hard work. Espesially for non-violent offenders there is plenty of community work that they could be doing.

.  There is no way prisioners should be getting college degrees on my tax dollars when my wife and I owe $60 for our college degrees.  What kind of a system is that?  My tax dollars should be keeping them away from society, is a better way of putting it, until they have served their debt to society.

If all you owe is $60, you did good and you can probably pay that easily! :lol:

What is the purpose of prison? To protect society - to punish those who break the law -0 and to prevent those commited from doing it again. Which emans education and counseling should eb a part of the prison experience. Letting people rot in prison did not work, does not work, and prisoners with nothing to do present certain problems to the guards. Education, why sure I happily pay for those incarcerated to do something to improve and change their lot in life and occupy their time in a productive manner, so that when they get out, they have alternatives for possible employment, etc.

Community service already exists and so does restitution. The state can gobbble up a person's assets - if any - pretty damned fast.

The whole area of forfeiture is something that everyone ought to be concerned with, by the way. It is amazing and actually scary what prosecutors and police are trying to claim in forfeitures. The story of the woman who owned a car, her husband used his wife's car to pick up a whore, he was arrested and the state successfully took her car in forfeiture, leaving the woman with not only a divorce but no immediate way to get to work so she lost her job - sounds funny, but that is one of the more mild cases. I would enjoy it though if the state of Illinois were to try and forfeit every home of every parent of a Glenbrook north kid involved in their hazing crime for providing a crime scene for underaged kids to drink. Then maybe they will get their just desserts and people will realize how the forfeiture problem is growing, the state using any excuse to grab stuff.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I would enjoy it though if the state of Illinois were to try and forfeit every home of every parent of a Glenbrook north kid involved in their hazing crime for providing a crime scene for underaged kids to drink. Then maybe they will get their just desserts

nothing would tickle me more than to have the yuppie scum lose their houses because they dont keep better control over thier kids...........what moron parent would first off give their kid beer and then second of all not keep an eye on them while they consume it...........dumbasses.........of course they all have money so all they will get is a slap on the hands anyhow...........its a shame the system can be bought too.........

"Actually I am fully in support of making prisioners work while they are in prision"

And when their work takes jobs away from law abiding people do you still agree? Happened to my friend's business. He had to lay off 6 workers when a state prison won a contract that he had for the previous 6 years.

5 years for a fight. If this happened at the Dew Drop Inn in Stickney do you think the guy would have gotten 5 years? If this guy had attacked you or I he wouldn't have received 5 years.

"Actually I am fully in support of making prisioners work while they are in prision"

And when their work takes jobs away from law abiding people do you still agree? Happened to my friend's business. He had to lay off 6 workers when a state prison won a contract that he had for the previous 6 years.

5 years for a fight. If this happened at the Dew Drop Inn in Stickney do you think the guy would have gotten 5 years? If this guy had attacked you or I he wouldn't have received 5 years.

thank you for two good points

Actually the intent of the government was never to be the nations biggest employer. Don't you realize all of those government employees with their huge benefits are being paid by you and I? I have no interest in having my tax dollars going to things that SHOULD be done by the private sector. the government has ZERO business being involved in so many of the things that it does. Do you realize how much less effecient at most private sector activities? I don't have the #'s on this but I would bet that it takes the government at least $1.25 to do what the private sector could do for a dollar.

And the last part of your statement just bolsters my outrage at the system. It wasn't just a fight. This guy and his son made a blind attack on a defenseless person. It wasn't like two guys duking it out in a bar over a girl. These two guys nearly beat Gamboa senseless. They cost him part of his hearing permanently. He will never get back what these two lowlifes took from him. His punishment ends in 5 years, when does Gamboa's punishment for being in the wrong place at the wrong time end? HE DID NOTHING!

And IF someone attacked me or anyone else in a way that Gamboa was attacked along with all of the other illegal things he was doing at the time (criminal tresspassing, high on 5 drugs, intoxication etc..) He should get more than 5 damned years. Once again our goverment is so worried about things like sex, censorship and other moral issues that have no bearing on another persons life, and wasting our resourses, that legimate needs of society from their government gets short changed