Who should we trade first

aboz56

When White Flag part 2 comes, here's who I think should go and for what.

1) Bartolo Colon to a contender for 2 prospects (preferrably a pitcher and shortstop)

Possible suitors: Red Sox, San Fran, Seattle and yes, the Scrubs

2) Paul Konerko for whatever we can get at this point

Possible suitors: Any team that needs an underachieving first baseman

3) Frank Thomas

Possible suitors: No one, that's why he won't be traded

If we could move these three guys, I think we could get a good deal of prospects that could pan out in the upcoming years.

If Colon goes, i wish he would end up in Boston and we would get Freddy Sanchez and another pitcher. Jose Valentin should go too, maybe we trade him to the Reds for Jose Guillen. And PK should be trade but i think he wont be because KW loves his ass. I would love to see Frank retiring, but this wont happen so trade him to ??? I dont know a team that would want this stupid whiner.

This White Flag issue is probably the most interesting area of speculation, because the team as it is isn't going anywhere. I'm sure Bartolo will generate a lot of interest from other teams. I bet JR would love to package one of his untradable salaries with Bart for some minor leaguers. I guess the big decision for Sox Brass is whether to trade Bart for prospects or hold him for free agency draft choices in 2004.

Freddy Sanchez is great prospect, if we cant keep Colon, trade him to the Red Sox for Freddy Sanchez. Freddy Sanchez is great SS and we would get rid of JOSE VALENTIN. We need guys that can play defense and hit at the same time, i think this guy can become a great SS.

This White Flag issue is probably the most interesting area of speculation, because the team as it is isn't going anywhere.  I'm sure Bartolo will generate a lot of interest from other teams.  I bet JR would love to package one of his untradable salaries with Bart for some minor leaguers.  I guess the big decision for Sox Brass is whether to trade Bart for prospects or hold him for free agency draft choices in 2004.

I never thought of that. That's f***ing brilliant.

Bring down Bart's asking price if they take Paul Konerko from us in the same deal. I love Colon as a pitcher, but if we have to see him go, then so be it. He's a hell of a pitcher, and if he is traded, it will be a sad day for me.

If we could resign him after the season, that'd be incredible....and, if I'm thinking right, we have the money to do so. Get them to take on Konerko so we can then lower the asking price....and we free up $8 mill a year. Jose leaves....and possibly Carlos and Frank as well....and that is like $13-$23 mill being freed up. That is plenty of room to bring back Bart.

i don't think we'd get sanchez for colon. the red sox wouldn't even give up fossum for colon, nevermind their best prospect. but who knows, if it gets to the deadline and the red sox are neck and neck with the yanks, epstein might feel pressured to make the deal.

also, there's no way i'd want to trade konerko right now, when his value is so low. the guy is a good hitter he's just struggling for some reason.

Guest hotsoxchick1

anyone whos contract or abritration coming up will be most likely to go first.....one player i see we keep.. well actually two is maggs and loz.....after that guys like lee, jose, colon, thomas, paulie, alomar,gordon, white, buehrle et el will all be free game.........

You would be an absolute idiot to trade Buehrle right now.

Maybe if he ripped off 7-8 wins in a row, but lefties like him are hot commodities.

Not to mention he wont break the bank in arbitration. If they get rid of Mark, they will try to replace him with free agents.

Even if he makes 5-6 million next year, you dont trade a 25-26 yr old lefty like him.

Everyone else, please try and sell them all.

Keep Maggs for the fans, and hope for the best with Crede, Borchard, Miles/Harris, and Jimenez.

Konerko, Thomas, Valentin, Koch, and Colon all need to go.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i didnt say i wanted to trade him i said he will be one of the ones to go... not by my hands.. by jr's......do you remember the white flag......marks good as gone with arbirtration coming up........jr will not deal with him unless he came so cheap that its impossible to pass up........... which translates into making less than he is now......

You would be an absolute idiot to trade Buehrle right now.

Konerko, Thomas, Valentin, Koch, and Colon all need to go.

You forget who you're dealing with in regards to Mark.

As for Frank, he'll be wearing a Sox uniform till the day he retires. Paul.. we can only pray he starts hitting and dump him. Colon... I'm on the fence about him. Depends on what other moves are made. The same with Koch. Marte is definitely up for the closer role.. but Billy "on" sure is nice.

This White Flag issue is probably the most interesting area of speculation, because the team as it is isn't going anywhere.  I'm sure Bartolo will generate a lot of interest from other teams.  I bet JR would love to package one of his untradable salaries with Bart for some minor leaguers.  I guess the big decision for Sox Brass is whether to trade Bart for prospects or hold him for free agency draft choices in 2004.

I agree that Bart would generate a lot of interest and would provide the opportunity to package another salary like a Konerko. But what I don't want to see the Sox do (and they have done this in the past) is trade players to fill a need only to find the have opened another hole that they need to fill. If the trades don't make them better overall - why trade? The question the Sox need to ask is are we rebuilding or are we retooling? This fan base won't support another rebulding phase, not after only achiveing mediocrity with this current group. Retooling is the only option. So what do the Sox have and what do they need - and how do you get what you need with as little sacrifice to what you already have.

The Sox have starting pitching - Buerhle, Colon, and Loaiza are a pretty good 1-2-3. Buehrle has struggled no doubt, but you cannot give up on him. Colon is solid and a workhorse - you have to attempt to retain him after this season. Loaiza has been a steal - he deserves a contract with the Sox that has performance incentives, to protect you if this is a fluke year. Garland and Wright? There a plenty of teams that would love to have Garland - he has great stuff - all his problems are in his head. He's 24, he'll figure it out. . To me, Wright is expendable. I think we could find another 5th starter that could fill his slot - Josh Stewart perhaps.

Our bullpen has strength and weakness. Glover, Marte, Wunsch, Gordon & Koch (of late) have been pretty good. Sanders and White are a gaping hole. First we don't need to carry 12 pitchers in the pen. None of them are getting the work or routine the need to be effective. One can go. Ginter can certainly deliver as well if not better than White. Send White down or release him. As trade bait - here you have Marte, Wunsch, Gordon, or Koch. But you have to choose one.

Our everyday guys - We have lots of corner outfielders (Lee, Borchard, Ordonez), a third baseman (Crede), a second baseman (Jimenez), a first baseman (Konerko), and catcher (Olivo), and utility man (Graffanino). Don't give up on Konerko - he's in a bad stretch but is in no ways done. We need a centerfielder, and a shortstop and both should increase the team speed and ability to put the ball in play. What's expendable - Thomas: but he is expensive for one tool, no one will want him. Valentin - a nice player, big heart - but that long swing and stone hands are killing us. Harris - second is his best and only position; only the Sox play guys so out of position and hope it will pan out. Daubach - streaky enough when he plays everyday - this is a disaster situation for him. Rios - a 25th man on any roster. Here the trade bait is where we have some abundance - corner outfielders. And to me it's Lee. I love the guy and think having him around as a DH after Thomas goes would be great - but Frank is in the way and I beleive he has an option he can pick up for next year. Lee, if I'm not mistaken, is arbitration eligable - he's got a pay day coming. He is hitting well - trading him in a package for a need up the middle would let Borchard move to the corner where he's originally played and open the spot for a real CF - speed & defense.

This team reminds me of the '83 Sox - there are some tools here that can work, but glaring holes that can be filled with the right deals in place- it might make all the difference in the world.

Sorry for the long post.

When White Flag part 2 comes, here's who I think should go and for what.

1) Bartolo Colon to a contender for 2 prospects (preferrably a pitcher and shortstop)

Possible suitors: Red Sox, San Fran, Seattle and yes, the Scrubs

2) Paul Konerko for whatever we can get at this point

Possible suitors: Any team that needs an underachieving first baseman

3) Frank Thomas

Possible suitors: No one, that's why he won't be traded

If we could move these three guys, I think we could get a good deal of prospects that could pan out in the upcoming years.

Wow, I'm with you on these ideas. I got all of these type of things in the article I'm working on. Will finish it right when my finals are over.

i don't think we'd get sanchez for colon. the red sox wouldn't even give up fossum for colon, nevermind their best prospect. but who knows, if it gets to the deadline and the red sox are neck and neck with the yanks, epstein might feel pressured to make the deal.

also, there's no way i'd want to trade konerko right now, when his value is so low. the guy is a good hitter he's just struggling for some reason.

But that was from the Expos, this is a different point of the game. I think we could easily land two top prospects for Colon.

But that was from the Expos, this is a different point of the game. I think we could easily land two top prospects for Colon.

Guys usually become more valuable as they get closer to the trading deadline. Think if the Yankees continue to struggle what some of our players could be worth to them...

Guys usually become more valuable as they get closer to the trading deadline. Think if the Yankees continue to struggle what some of our players could be worth to them...

Yanks, Angles, Red Sox and Giants will be who the Sox deal with.

Guest hotsoxchick1

well you know jr hes gonna do it the cheap way... more money for his pockets and less on the field.......

Jason, these reports are more important than your finals.

Lol, so so true. These reports are what will get me hired as the future gm. I can only hope JR starts reading what I say and realizes hell, I got a prime gm candidate there and best of all he has no experience (Equates to dirt cheap hire). :D