Who should we trade first

aboz56

Lol, so so true.  These reports are what will get me hired as the future gm.  I can only hope JR starts reading what I say and realizes hell, I got a prime gm candidate there and best of all he has no experience (Equates to dirt cheap hire). :D

Now you are talking Jerry's language!!! :lol:

Hate to say it, but there is a good chance that Maggs will be gone. They owe him $14M next year, and if he makes noises like he wants $15M/yr for 5+ years after that...

No way they do that. And they'd be right. You don't sign a guy to a contract like that unless you think you have a 75%+ chance of making the playoffs with him.

I think the Sox would be committing the same mistake we have in the past, if we don't try and sign Colon. Don't trade the guy. Keep him. We have been struggling with inconsistent pitching for quite sometime and when you get a horse like Colon you can stabilize the staff. Keep Buerhle and approach him again to sign along term deal. Keep Loaiza. However, the point is that everytime we go for a big name it is for one year only and we give up prospects. The other team benefits and we drain our farm system. If we are serious about winning we have to keep the stars. Now we can talk about trading Garland, Wright, Glover, White and iffy prospects.

I think Konerko, Alomar, Valentin (even though I love the guy), and Jimenez are trade possibilities. I don't think Thomas will go anywhere.

The worse thing we can do though is pull the trigger too soon.

Hate to say it, but there is a good chance that Maggs will be gone.  They owe him $14M next year, and if he makes noises like he wants $15M/yr for 5+ years after that...

No way they do that.  And they'd be right.  You don't sign a guy to a contract like that unless you think you have a 75%+ chance of making the playoffs with him.

You don't give a guy that big of a % of your teams salary if your a lower market team or a lower payroll team.

Its just not smart cause it handcuffs you with all other deals. I think they can sign him for 10 mill a year and at that price its alright to have one high priced guy.

Hate to say it, but there is a good chance that Maggs will be gone.  They owe him $14M next year, and if he makes noises like he wants $15M/yr for 5+ years after that...

No way they do that.  And they'd be right.  You don't sign a guy to a contract like that unless you think you have a 75%+ chance of making the playoffs with him.

You don't give a guy that big of a % of your teams salary if your a lower market team or a lower payroll team.

Its just not smart cause it handcuffs you with all other deals. I think they can sign him for 10 mill a year and at that price its alright to have one high priced guy.

And there is no way that Maggs takes a 30% paycut. Heck someone will give him at least what he was making, if not more.

The first move they ought to make is to flat out release Rick White.

Jose Valentin is a tradeable commodity if a SS on a contender goes down. We'll have to wait and see if that happens. If so, you will see Jimenez move to SS with Harris or Miles holding down 2B.

Frank Thomas is old. His bat speed is non-existant and he is still afraid of the damn baseball. He'll certainly pick up his option for next year after the horrid season he's had in 2003. So, we will have to watch him either walk, strike out or pop up for another season.

Thomas, Konerko, Daubach, Rios. We have too many of this type of player. Try and find someone, anyone, that is familiar with the expression "hit behind the runner".

And there is no way that Maggs takes a 30% paycut. Heck someone will give him at least what he was making, if not more.

SS2k3...

Maggs at $10 mill a year is too cheap, however, he wouldn't necessarily be taking a 30% pay cut. He would be in the final year of his deal, and a lot of times, in the final years of deals, players get paid the most.

5 years, $60 mill....$12 mill a year.....would be good. He earns more per year then he does on his current contract(a little less then $10 mill a year) and he makes a little less in his first year then he does in his last year.

In regards to Jose, he could be a viable option in St. Louis.  They lost Fernando Vina for a while.  Don't know if they want to add the payroll though (The Cards).

Cards are in no position to add payroll. Sox would have to pay half of the contract, or atleast take on someone with a big salary.

SS2k3...

Maggs at $10 mill a year is too cheap, however, he wouldn't necessarily be taking a 30% pay cut. He would be in the final year of his deal, and a lot of times, in the final years of deals, players get paid the most.

5 years, $60 mill....$12 mill a year.....would be good. He earns more per year then he does on his current contract(a little less then $10 mill a year) and he makes a little less in his first year then he does in his last year.

I would guess that someone like Boston or NY Yanks will step in and offer him 5 years at $15 mil. Look at the deal that Thome got. I think Maggs can get about the same annual amount for less years.

Bring down Bart's asking price if they take Paul Konerko from us in the same deal.  I love Colon as a pitcher, but if we have to see him go, then so be it.  He's a hell of a pitcher, and if he is traded, it will be a sad day for me.

The Key to building this team is Keeping Buehrle Colon and Loazia together.

If you can have those three horses at the top of your rotation (assuming MB is pitching like he can) you have a chance to win..... just look at the cubs.

I think you keep Colon at ANY COST..... he's a great f***ing pitcher. Give him the cash, keep him happy...... sacrifice to keep him..... jose and frank should do it.

Remember the David Wells fiasco.  We could have trade him for a bunch of prospects, but we kept him, he hurt his little back. and we had to put him on the DL, pay ALL of his salary, pay his buy out, which was a Million, and then get nothing.

When a player like that goes on the DL for that long, I was under the impression the team collected insurance money....

Remember the David Wells fiasco.  We could have trade him for a bunch of prospects, but we kept him, he hurt his little back. and we had to put him on the DL, pay ALL of his salary, pay his buy out, which was a Million, and then get nothing.

With Wells he was hurt well before the Sox were out of the race. I think he was hurt after the first month or so of the season so trading him wasn't really an option. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong though?

I just chalk up the David Wells thing as bad karma.  KW tried to do something constructive, and it theory it was a good idea, but it just went sour.  Typical Sox luck.

Hey, Karma's a b****. It all worked out in the end.

What goes around, comes around.....or something like that. We trade a pitcher whose arm is torn up before we trade him, and low and behold, we get a stud who has World Series experience and won 20 games the year before. He comes in here, and goes 5-7 before having surgery on his back.

We deserved it, regardless of whether or not we knew about Siro's injury.

ChiSoxFan: Re: Wells. We were taking trade offers for him before he went down, but KW figured the price would go up as we approached the 7-31 trade deadline. Then he hurt his back, went on the DL, and thr rest is history. No offers, and we had to give him another Million for his buyout that made him a free agent. Yanks got him for nothing.