Chicagoland Pizza

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
I'm with you and I will go one step further. Lou Malnati's sucks. I will never ever go there again. I too listened to all the hype. I went there and I was extremely disappointed. I thought I may have had a bad pizza or came on a bad day so I gave it another try. It sucks. It absolutely sucks ass.

:)

:cheers to SSI and LMB

Edited by nitetrain8601

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
I don't know if it's even still there, but J&J's Pizza Shack in Portage always made one hell of a meal.

It is still there. (On the corner of route 6 and calumet? near Jackson Twp?) My friends have told me about how good it is..maybe I should go try it.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
I respectfully disagree. Again, it's not nasty, but I prefer Paliermo's over all and Giordano's after that. Then there's a huge dropoff.

Paliermo's

Giordano's

Lou Malnati's

seriously, the Art of Pizza on Ashland beats the s*** out of all of those, true story.

Frank's Pizza on Belmont & Narragansett.

Gigio's Pizza on Waukegan & Oakton

But for the most part, good pizza joints are few and far between on the NW side. The restaurants in general just suck uncontrollably around here, unless of course you want to go to a Steakhouse and spend your money like a dumbass. :D

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)

But for the most part, good pizza joints are few and far between on the NW side.  The restaurants in general just suck uncontrollably around here, unless of course you want to go to a Steakhouse and spend your money like a dumbass.  :D

:o

You've disappointed me, bro.

We have our fair-share of neighborhood pizza joints on the northwest side of the city.

I'll trot out a list off the top of my head:

Beje's (Pronounced B-G's) on Irving, between Oriole and Forest Reserve Drive

-Great thin-crust, Chicago-neighborhood pizza. Amazing, unique flavors, and cut in small, square, true-to-Chicago thin-crust slices

-should be in your backyard, yes?

Villa Napoli on Lawrence and Cumberland

Al's Pizza--multiple locations on the NW side

Vince's Pizza--multiple locations, how about on Higgens east of Harlem

Father and Son's--multiple

Sorrento's on Harlem and Sayre

Bacci's on Lawrence and, oh, I dunno, Manheim

Phil's on Northwest Highway

Northwest Pizza Represent

The grass is always greener, huh, bro? I'm telling you, wait until you leave the city and you just wish you had one of the greasy neighborhood dives that we take for granted. :lol:

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
There's a major difference. The original two locations on Wabash have been around forever. The chains are more recent and were once run by a different person. He bought the original locations once the original owner died, but the pizza hasn't degenerated to the level of the chain stores just yet. So far his changes (pretty sure the dough isn't made daily anymore and that the veggies are frozen now) haven't killed it. The sausage and sauce thankfully remain unchanged, and the crust is still pretty good.

By virtue of the sale contract, they agreed to never change the menu or way of making the pizza at the two Wabash St locations IIRC.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)

But for the most part, good pizza joints are few and far between on the NW side.  The restaurants in general just suck uncontrollably around here, unless of course you want to go to a Steakhouse and spend your money like a dumbass.  :D

Try finding a good pizza joint in L.A.........Any pizza joint on the NW Side would be better than here....... :lol:

If you're ever in Dolton, give Damianis a try, 138th St. and Chicago Road, ate my share of them last September when i was back in my hometown of Chicagoland for the first time in 26 years...... :headbang

DCP_3501.jpg

Enjoy!!!!!! :D

:gosox3: :gosox1: :gosox2: IN 2006!!!!!!!

:cheers

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
By virtue of the sale contract, they agreed to never change the menu or way of making the pizza at the two Wabash St locations IIRC.

Interesting, my Dad worked there until around a year after the ownership change and said otherwise. Either way, it's still my favorite by far.

QUOTE(SoCalSouthSider59 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 03:12 AM)
Try finding a good pizza joint in L.A.........Any pizza joint on the NW Side would be better than here....... :lol:

If you're ever in Dolton, give Damianis a try, 138th St. and Chicago Road, ate my share of them last September when i was back in my hometown of Chicagoland for the first time in 26 years...... :headbang

DCP_3501.jpg

Enjoy!!!!!!  :D

:gosox3:  :gosox1:  :gosox2:  IN 2006!!!!!!!

i hate you. :P

Anyone ever tried Beggars Pizza? I don't think its in Chicago, but it's in the south burbs.

Had a Beggars Pizza in Oak Forest, 157th and Cicero i believe, last September as well, not bad......

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)
i hate you. :P

:D :P :D

:gosox3: :gosox1: :gosox2: IN 2006!!!!!!!

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
Gario's in Montgomery makes a pretty solid thin crust.  The guy who started that had his own place called Gourmet Pizza, also in Montgomery, but he moved out even further west. 

What I find embarrassing is that Uno's is the nationwide representation of Chicago pizza.  I've eaten at them a couple times and it's just awful.  I'm sure the original and some of the related ones are top notch, but the franchised ones... seriously.  It really gives Chicago pizza a bad name.

I worked for Ike Sewell the original owner of Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due - Is is unfortunate he sold the franchise name and the locations outside of Chicago really suck!!! Their pizza is nothing like the original restaurants and do really give a bad name but life goes on.

Fortunately they have left the orginal restaurants pretty much the same and their pizza is still top notch.

:gosox2: