Chicagoland Pizza

AddisonStSox

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are some SIU grads and students on here (myself SIU 87-91) and i remember ordering LaRoma's pizza. not sure if it's still there but that was some DAMN good pizza. a bit greasy but still good. Quartro's had great slices you could buy but for some reason they couldn't capture the same taste in their full pizzas. I guess that's why they used to make all of their money on the slices.

:cheers :cheers !!!!!SIU!!!!! :cheers :cheers

QUOTE(juddling @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
I know there are some SIU grads and students on here (myself SIU 87-91) and i remember ordering LaRoma's pizza.  not sure if it's still there but that was some DAMN good pizza.  a bit greasy but still good.  Quartro's had great slices you could buy but for some reason they couldn't capture the same taste in their full pizzas.  I guess that's why they used to make all of their money on the slices.

:cheers  :cheers !!!!!SIU!!!!! :cheers  :cheers

I loved Quatros, but you had to finish it that day cuz it got all hard in the fridge so you couldn't eat it second day.

Italian Village had very good, greasy, thin crusts.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)
Overrated. I went there a month ago after hearing so much about it and I thought it was good pizza, but nowhere near the hype. I'll stick with Giordano's.

Pssh, Lou's>>>>>>>>>>>>Giordano's. :P

There's not another meal in the world I'd rather have then Lou's, true story. :)

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)

There's not another meal in the world I'd rather have then Lou's, true story. :)

Pizza is like sex there aren't any bad ones!

Pizzeria Uno & Due are at the top of my list - Home Run Inn in the top 5!

Giordanos sucks! When I worked at Pizzeria Due the employees who came to us after working there talked about the rats in the basement!!!!

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
Thin = Pat's Pizza on Sheffield just south of Belmont

Deep Dish = Uno's, Lou Malnati's and Pequods.

I don't know if anyone's been there, but the tomato and pepperoni is mouth-watering.

You obviously havent been to pats in while. Its on lincoln now.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 07:11 AM)
Overrated. I went there a month ago after hearing so much about it and I thought it was good pizza, but nowhere near the hype. I'll stick with Giordano's.

I'm with you and I will go one step further. Lou Malnati's sucks. I will never ever go there again. I too listened to all the hype. I went there and I was extremely disappointed. I thought I may have had a bad pizza or came on a bad day so I gave it another try. It sucks. It absolutely sucks ass.

For deep dish, Due's/Uno's laps the field. They're basically the same place. I love that stuff, I just wish I could get there more often (the Uno's chain doesn't cut it). For thin crust, I gotta go with Home Run Inn. That's a pre-Sox game tradition. Amazingly one of my other top pizzas is a Champaign classic, Papa Del's. I got hooked on the pan pizza with sausage, peppers, and onion toward the end of my senior year.

I've never really gotten the fascination with Giordano's or Gino's East. I didn't think either was that good despite the fact that everyone seems to like them. I haven't had Lou Malnati's in a while, I should probably give that another shot.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 02:11 AM)

I agree. The pieces of sausage are about the size of my fist, gets messy when you try to take a bite.

Gario's in Montgomery makes a pretty solid thin crust. The guy who started that had his own place called Gourmet Pizza, also in Montgomery, but he moved out even further west.

What I find embarrassing is that Uno's is the nationwide representation of Chicago pizza. I've eaten at them a couple times and it's just awful. I'm sure the original and some of the related ones are top notch, but the franchised ones... seriously. It really gives Chicago pizza a bad name.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
What I find embarrassing is that Uno's is the nationwide representation of Chicago pizza.  I've eaten at them a couple times and it's just awful.  I'm sure the original and some of the related ones are top notch, but the franchised ones... seriously.  It really gives Chicago pizza a bad name.

There's a major difference. The original two locations on Wabash have been around forever. The chains are more recent and were once run by a different person. He bought the original locations once the original owner died, but the pizza hasn't degenerated to the level of the chain stores just yet. So far his changes (pretty sure the dough isn't made daily anymore and that the veggies are frozen now) haven't killed it. The sausage and sauce thankfully remain unchanged, and the crust is still pretty good.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)

I respectfully disagree. Again, it's not nasty, but I prefer Paliermo's over all and Giordano's after that. Then there's a huge dropoff.

Paliermo's

Giordano's

Lou Malnati's