KW on WSCR

retro1983hat

I didn't catch the entire interview from the start. Here's what I heard:

* KW talked about Jenks getting into shape for his sophomore season. Talks about other closer options in the bullpen if Jenks fails -- Hermanson, Cotts, McCarthy. KW said that when he builds a bullpen he likes to have multiple closing options.

* KW pretty much admitted that we almost landed Griffey at the trade deadline last season, without actually saying Griffey's name because that would be against MLB rules.

* KW is worried about taking away some of the luster of Frank for his fans by his comments yesterday. North said that KW's comments were long overdue. KW said that he wants all of his players to be about the team first. Basically, he doesn't want any superstar egos on the team.

* North talked about how stupid the WBC is due to injuries. KW said that our pitchers (Garcia & Vazquez) could get hurt in Spring Training anyways so it isn't a huge deal. KW also mentioned that the WBC could help a few really good players reach the MLB when they would not have had the chance before.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
*  North talked about how stupid the WBC is due to injuries.  KW said that our pitchers (Garcia & Vazquez) could get hurt in Spring Training anyways so it isn't a huge deal.  KW also mentioned that the WBC could help a few really good players reach the MLB when they would not have had the chance before.

Yup, this is what Kenny really thinks of the WBC.

* KW talked about Jenks getting into shape for his sophomore season. Talks about other closer options in the bullpen if Jenks fails -- Hermanson, Cotts, McCarthy. KW said that when he builds a bullpen he likes to have multiple closing options.

Interesting. My 'sources' tell me that Jenks is heavier than last year, now has a bad back, and a sore shoulder. The Sun Times says he just slept on it wrong and the shoulder should be fine in a day or two.

Interesting.  My 'sources' tell me that Jenks is heavier than last year, now has a bad back, and a sore shoulder.  The Sun Times says he just slept on it wrong and the shoulder should be fine in a day or two.

Hmmm...

http://suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-cowley28.html

SORE SUBJECT:  Right-handed closer Bobby Jenks was scratched from the intrasquad game with a sore left shoulder. Jenks said he slept on it wrong and would be ready to pitch Wednesday in the Sox' first Cactus League game.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)

Interesting.  My 'sources' tell me that Jenks is heavier than last year, now has a bad back, and a sore shoulder.  The Sun Times says he just slept on it wrong and the shoulder should be fine in a day or two.

The shoulder that hurts is his left one, so I actaully believe the sleep story on that, but the weight thing is disturbing.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
A little heat, some running, and lots of water and he will shed a few pounds.

Bobby's what, 24 years old? His metabolism is only going to slow down. The guy needs to cut back on the beer and food intake. If he doesn't take care of himself, his career will be brief and he and we will wonder what could have been. Hopefully Hermanson is healthy, and feels good when he throws. I am not ready to put all my eggs in the Bobby Jenks' basket just yet.

Bobby's what, 24 years old? His metabolism is only going to slow down. The guy needs to cut back on the beer and food intake. If he doesn't take care of himself, his career will be brief and he and we will wonder what could have been. Hopefully Hermanson is healthy, and feels good when he throws. I am not ready to put all my eggs in the Bobby Jenks' basket just yet.

I agree with you although Bob Wickman thinks otherwise. He's 37 years old, listed at 240 pounds (yeah right), and had one of the best seasons in his career last year. :D Although Wickman gets by more on smoke and mirrors (like Hermanson) than good stuff like Jenks. But Bobby could definately afford to lose a few pounds, as long as he doesn't lose any MPH off of his fastball.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 12:28 PM)

Bobby would just take those eggs and make a 15-egg cholesterol-filled omelette.