Kelvim Escobar not a fan of Pierzynski

SSH2005

http://suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-cowley28.html

Escobar not exactly a card-carrying fan of Pierzynski

February 28, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

TUCSON, Ariz. -- White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski is used to hearing that he's disliked.

So when he heard Monday that Los Angeles Angels pitcher Kelvim Escobar was the latest to voice his displeasure with him, Pierzynski didn't blink.

Asked by an Angels reporter about a Pierzynski baseball card that a teammate put on his locker, Escobar said he never was a fan of Pierzynski's.

"No way,'' Escobar said. "[i've] never been [a fan] since he played in Minnesota.''

Coincidentally, Escobar was on the mound when Pierzynski reached first base in Game 2 of the American League Championship Series after a controversial ninth-inning strikeout, setting up the winning run.

While Escobar said he never spoke to Pierzynski, the two had words in that game after Pierzynski flied out to right field in his first at-bat against the reliever. Escobar noticed Pierzynski shaking his head after the pop out and said to him: "You think you missed it? Get it next time.''

"I hit a fly ball to right and I was walking off the field, shaking my head, and he said, 'Oh, you just missed that one -- ugh, ugh, ugh,''' Pierzynski said.

But Pierzynski didn't seem bothered that Escobar wasn't a fan of his.

"Oh, well. What can I do?'' Pierzynski said. "Tell him turn the page.''

Pierzynski also pointed out that he has a Brett Tomko baseball card hanging above his locker. Tomko is the one who labeled Pierzynski a "clubhouse cancer'' when the two played together in San Francisco.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Don't forget Graffy.

and Matt Clement, I give that guy so much credit. He sparked the whole damn thing off.

Seriously though, anyone see that Paulie interview on Comcast last night?? He said the only game he was nervous in for the entire playoffs was game 1 against Boston and how crucial it was to get off to a good start against that type of team. THe second Pods got on 1st, the floodgates opened for Clement and the rest is :gosox3:

QUOTE(samclemens @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
hey, i love that guy. if he hadnt thrown that splitter or whatever the hell it was, we might not be rocking a world championship right now.

I wouldn't say all that. Sure it was a pivotal point in the game, but by no means would we have been out of it, or the series. That play is just an excuse people use when they're trying to not give the Sox their due.

I wouldn't say all that.  Sure it was a pivotal point in the game, but by no means would we have been out of it, or the series.    That play is just an excuse people use when they're trying to not give the Sox their due.

Yep, Ozuna still had to steal second and then Escobar threw a pathetic pitch right down the cock of the plate to Crede on an 0-2 count.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
Yep, Ozuna still had to steal second and then Escobar threw a pathetic pitch right down the cock of the plate to Crede on an 0-2 count.

LMAO, I have never heard it put that way before

QUOTE(Drew @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 3:38 PM)
What's Escobar think of Josh Paul?

Thats Tampa Bays problem now ;)