Why have the Cub pitchers been so good?

southsider2k5

The Wrigley Field pitching mound was lowered by one-half inch before the homestand, after a measurement by the league.

"To the best of my knowledge, it was too high," Baker said. "I think they went all over the league and did it. I wish they would tell somebody. ...

"The mounds are different all over the league. Some look like a molehill. Some look like Mt. Everest. You see it all over. When I was in Dodger Stadium, our mound looked like it was high as heck. You aren't doing anything illegal intentionally."

Kerry Wood said it was no big deal.

"They took some of the slope out," Wood said. "It's not that big of an issue. It's not any significant problem."

Guest hotsoxchick1

they were talkin about the mound thing on espn radio yesterda.... the mound is supposed to be 10 inches high at the rubber and slope an inch for each foot down... alot of the scrub pitchers were complaining about the mound in pittsburgh being too flat............as long as the rubber is 10 inches higher than the field itself then it doesnt matter how they slope it down as long as it goes an inch for each foot.....

they were talkin about the mound thing on espn radio yesterda.... the mound is supposed to be 10 inches high at the rubber and slope an inch for each foot down... alot of the scrub pitchers were complaining about the mound in pittsburgh being too flat............as long as the rubber is 10 inches higher than the field itself then it doesnt matter how they slope it down as long as it goes an inch for each foot.....

When they lowered the mound in 1970 how tall was it before? 12"?

Guest hotsoxchick1

well i could have the years wrong too thats why i put the?????????? lol......but i think it was in 1969......damn it now i have to go look it up .......geez us.........lol

Guest hotsoxchick1
"They took some of the slope out. It's not that big of an issue. It's not any significant problem."

Those same words were muttered at the beginning of the Vietnam war, too!

i dont get the connection here...........cubs pitchers and the vietnam war???? :huh:

"They took some of the slope out. It's not that big of an issue. It's not any significant problem."

Those same words were muttered at the beginning of the Vietnam war, too!

i dont get the connection here...........cubs pitchers and the vietnam war???? :huh:

It has to do with the way you use the word 'slope.'

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/sp...all/print.phtml

Here is the answer to the mound question.

Lowered Mound

In '69, Major League Baseball also lowered the pitcher's mound from 15 in. to 10 in. The higher you can get on the mound and look down on the hitter, the more leverage you have and the more that ball is coming from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. That makes it more difficult to hit the ball squarely compared to pitches coming in on a flat plane. Again, another advantage for the hitter.

Guest hotsoxchick1

oh for the day we can avoid derogatory names for everyone -

ya know cw some people didnt get what i said im glad you did though...i thought for a minute here i was missing something... i still didnt get what the connection was unless to be making a slam on a people....

sorry dont see the link just the quote part... but thanks anyhow........you did good...........

i'm not a bigoted person. if i was a racist or a bigot, i could have spewed a bunch of crap but that is pointless to do, b/c this is not a forum for that, and anyone who knows anything about life can tell you living w/blinders on is a sad way to live.

what i was trying to get at was that i was trying to demonstrate that it may not be that big of a deal in the beginning, but over time it can be proven differently.

Guest hotsoxchick1
what i was trying to get at was that i was trying to demonstrate that it may not be that big of a deal in the beginning, but over time it can be proven differently.

and thats exactly how it came out too.........just how you wanted it to..... :rolleyes: