Konerko on WSCR 670

SSH2005

* Konerko talked about why he accepted the 'C'. Says he just accepts his manager's orders since Ozzie is the boss.

* Once he was re-signed, he was finally able to enjoy the full spectrum of the championship.

* Talks about what a great clubhouse guy and player that Thome is. McCarthy already loves Thome and is following him around everywhere (maybe Thome has replaced Frank as his favorite player now?).

* Says that every team will have a superstar ego. Not every team can have a bunch of guys like Thome. Terrell Owens is brought up. Konerko says that the egos will come out in the media sooner or later and it matters to the fans. Says fans want role-models, not big egos.

* Says that team chemistry is important but you still need good players to win. A good mix of both breeds winning. But every season is different so the chemistry will change from year to year. Even if the Sox had kept all 25 players from last season, there is no guarantee that they would have had the same type of chemistry.

* As captain of the team, he probably won't have to call out another player for not hustling because Ozzie sees everything already. But says that he, Dye, or Thome will call out a guy if it happens. Konerko says it probably won't happen though.

* Konerko hates when players in the clubhouse are on their cell phones. Even though it is against MLB rules, players still do it all the time. Konerko will call out players when it happens.

* Discusses when he called out Frank in the past. Said he would have went to Frank first instead of the media but he was pissed off at the time.

* Defends KW's comments to Frank. Said that they were just a build-up of anger over time from all of Frank's comments.

* Says that Ozzie tells it like it is and that's why the clubhouse has been so good since he was named the manager. Says that players will behave because they are afraid of Ozzie calling them out in front of everyone else.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
*  Talks about what a great clubhouse guy and player that Thome is.  McCarthy already loves Thome and is following him around everywhere (maybe Thome has replaced Frank as his favorite player now?).

:lolhitting

Would be funny to see him running around, father-son kinda thing. Meh....maybe it's only me.

Edited by Scwible

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
They played the Grand Slam in Game 2 before the interview.  Gave me the chills.

Of course, the final out in Game 4 was absolutely amazing, but I basically had an out-of-body experience when Paulie hit that slam.

I was there, it was almost like it wasnt really happening.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)

I couldn't imagine what it would have been like to be there. I know Podsednik hit the game winner, but I still think the Konerko slam was the biggest home run in White Sox history.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
I couldn't imagine what it would have been like to be there.  I know Podsednik hit the game winner, but I still think the Konerko slam was the biggest home run in White Sox history.

It wasn't until that very moment that I was 100% certain it was our year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)

Me too, i remember it exactly, i said to my uncle (who got tickets the day of the game and brought me there) "Wouldn't it be sweet if paulie hits a grand slam." Then i just turned around in time to see Qualls' pitch and Konerko hit it. I was so estatic i couldn't believe that it just happend.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 07:12 PM)
Me too, i remember it exactly, i said to my uncle (who got tickets the day of the game and brought me there) "Wouldn't it be sweet if paulie hits a grand slam." Then i just turned around in time to see Qualls' pitch and Konerko hit it. I was so estatic i couldn't believe that it just happend.

I was fortunate enough to be at game 2 as well. I think everyone had the same experience. They turned to their friend and said "wouldn't it be something..." and before you had a chance to finish the thought Konerko connected. We were sitting down the right field line in the corner so everyone would get all excited every time a ball was hit down the left field line on a fly. You could tell most balls were going foul but Konerko's was a no doubter even at the skewed vantage point we had. I still shake my head at the magic of that moment.

The Paul Konerko seventh-inning Grand Slam in Game Two of the 2005 World Series will go down as my favorite moment in White Sox history. Actually in attendance, the place was just waiting to explode, and, at that very moment, Paulie connects on a first-ball fastball. Being able to enjoy that expierence with my old man, someone who has lived and died with this ballclub, someone who passed his passion for his White Sox on to his oldest son, and someone who needed to break out of an in-person post-season losing streak with his belov'ed Sox, is just indescribable. We were just saying, "hey, how about Paulie comes through and hits a grand frickin' slam," and mid-sentence, Paulie connects. The ball kept carrying, carrying, carrying...the outfielder went back, back, back...and even when that ball landed in the left-field stands, it took a couple moments to realize what exactly just happened. We just looked each other and lost our minds; it was at that very moment that I knew that team was destined to win, not just for themselves, not just for the critcs, but, for all the fans that have been waiting their entire lives for this best-of-seven.

An image frozen in time, an absolute flash-bulb memory, something I'll never forget for as long as I live...seeing our Paulie hit a go-ahead Grand Slam in the World Series with my old man on the Southside of Chicago, rocking out to the "Go Go White Sox" montage and AC/DC's Thunderstuck moments later...

I just got the chills.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
The Paul Konerko seventh-inning Grand Slam in Game Two of the 2005 World Series will go down as my favorite moment in White Sox history.  Actually in attendance, the place was just waiting to explode, and, at that very moment, Paulie connects on a first-ball fastball.  Being able to enjoy that expierence with my old man, someone who has lived and died with this ballclub, someone who passed his passion for his White Sox on to his oldest son, and someone who needed to break out of an in-person post-season losing streak with his belov'ed Sox, is just indescribable.  We were just saying, "hey, how about Paulie comes through and hits a grand frickin' slam," and mid-sentence, Paulie connects.  The ball kept carrying, carrying, carrying...the outfielder went back, back, back...and even when that ball landed in the left-field stands, it took a couple moments to realize what exactly just happened.  We just looked each other and lost our minds; it was at that very moment that I knew that team was destined to win, not just for themselves, not just for the critcs, but, for all the fans that have been waiting their entire lives for this best-of-seven.

An image frozen in time, an absolute flash-bulb memory, something I'll never forget for as long as I live...seeing our Paulie hit a go-ahead Grand Slam in the World Series with my old man on the Southside of Chicago, rocking out to the "Go Go White Sox" montage and AC/DC's Thunderstuck moments later...

I just got the chills.

Great post! It seems to me there were 5 or 6 times during the playoffs that I couldn't quite wrap my brain around the fact that they seemed to be pulling off the impossible. I watched every game by myself, because I don't know any Sox fans in my city. But each time I remember muttering something like 'Christ, it looks like it's really happening!'. 4 months later and I still have a hard time believing what happened.

i still don't believe that grand slam. i was actually watching the game at home alone, but just felt i had to call my dad. he's not a big sports fan or anything and rarely even cares. he is a sox fan though, and when i heard his voice he sounded like i've never heard him before. he said "do you believe this?" with the way he said it, i will never forget those words.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 09:40 PM)
The Paul Konerko seventh-inning Grand Slam in Game Two of the 2005 World Series will go down as my favorite moment in White Sox history.  Actually in attendance, the place was just waiting to explode, and, at that very moment, Paulie connects on a first-ball fastball.  Being able to enjoy that expierence with my old man, someone who has lived and died with this ballclub, someone who passed his passion for his White Sox on to his oldest son, and someone who needed to break out of an in-person post-season losing streak with his belov'ed Sox, is just indescribable.  We were just saying, "hey, how about Paulie comes through and hits a grand frickin' slam," and mid-sentence, Paulie connects.  The ball kept carrying, carrying, carrying...the outfielder went back, back, back...and even when that ball landed in the left-field stands, it took a couple moments to realize what exactly just happened.  We just looked each other and lost our minds; it was at that very moment that I knew that team was destined to win, not just for themselves, not just for the critcs, but, for all the fans that have been waiting their entire lives for this best-of-seven.

I just got the chills.

good post, i felt the same way, it was incredible

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)

I just got the chills.

This nearly brought tears to my eyes.

i just have to say this cause i've been thinking it for awhile. I get a lot more affected by reading posts like these than seeing the actual home run...because when i see it in the dvds i just remember the game, but the best part about sports is where you were...and i was in my room alone, no sox fans i know in the 'zou at the time...pissed off and doing german...that ball goes out...like someone said, its an out of body experience. i just remember talking to my friend sarah online saying "holy s***, a grand slam!" and her saying "yayy! whats that" "its f***ing amazing holy GOD!" it was so incredible. Wow! What a month!