Favorite WS Game 2 Homer

whitesoxfan101

Which Home Run in Game 2 of the World Series is your favorite?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which Home Run in Game 2 of the World Series is your favorite?

• Paul Konerko's Grand Slam
    • Scott Podsednik Walk Off Home Run

I picked Konerko for all the reasons stated above. Funny story though...

We have two televisions in reletively close vicinity in the house. One in the front room and one in the dining room. Thing is, when you're sitting at the dining room table, you can see the television in the front room. And the television in the dining room is an HDTV, and about 5-10 seconds behind the television in the front room (for reasons I'm not sure of).

Anyways, I was sitting at the dining room table when Paulie was up and couldn't help myself from watching the TV in the front room, while everybody else was watching the TV that was well behind. And when Paulie hit the ball, I had a Brian Anderson-like "oh my god, oh my god" moment. Meanwhile, the rest of my family and friends are looking at me wondering what the hell is wrong with me. That is, until they eventually see what happens on the HDTV, and the whole house erupts into absolute euphoria!

I'll never forget that moment. Not to diminish Scotty Pods walk off, but I can't think of a bigger, more exciting home run in our history. And maybe its just me, but the fact that it was Paulie that hit it just made it a little better.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 12:50 AM)
I picked Konerko for all the reasons stated above.  Funny story though...

We have two televisions in reletively close vicinity in the house.  One in the front room and one in the dining room.  Thing is, when you're sitting at the dining room table, you can see the television in the front room.  And the television in the dining room is an HDTV, and about 5-10 seconds behind the television in the front room (for reasons I'm not sure of).

Anyways, I was sitting at the dining room table when Paulie was up and couldn't help myself from watching the TV in the front room, while everybody else was watching the TV that was well behind.  And when Paulie hit the ball, I had a Brian Anderson-like "oh my god, oh my god" moment.  Meanwhile, the rest of my family and friends are looking at me wondering what the hell is wrong with me.  That is, until they eventually see what happens on the HDTV, and the whole house erupts into absolute euphoria!

I'll never forget that moment.  Not to diminish Scotty Pods walk off, but I can't think of a bigger, more exciting home run in our history.  And maybe its just me, but the fact that it was Paulie that hit it just made it a little better.

That happened to me as well when we were at the bar. The projections screens were HD, but the commercial break was going on for so long, so I started looking around, and as soon as I saw one of the normal TV's I started jumping up and down running towards the projections screen. :D

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)
I guess I look at it differently.  When Paulie came up, although I had a good feeling, I was also like "ok, this is our last chance, we better not f***ing blow this and head to Houston 1-1".  When he hit that slam, it was part extreme joy and subconsious relief that we had the lead.  With Pods homer, it was the 2nd most shocking thing I've ever seen in sports (next to the Illinois/Arizona comeback) and I was just completely losing my mind since it officially won the damn game and sent Houston home in a state of horrid depression.

I agree, Paulie hit 40 HRs the last two years and had already hit a couple in the post season, so even though that was an awesome hit, it was not that surprising. I almost expected it. Paulie's slam was awesome, but it comes in slightly behind Pods'.

The Pods homer was huge, an unlikely walk-off against one of the best closers in the league after he had zero HR's in the regular season. The Astros just came back to tie the game off Jenks and it looked like the Sox lost the edge. Uribe flied out and it looked like it was going to extra innings. That was Pods only hit and he already left 3 on base earlier in the game.

It was by far the 2nd most shocking/exciting sports play/game that I have witnessed, with the Illini-Arz game being 1st by a hair.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
I'll just c'n'p my response in a different thread:

I was at the game. Konerko's slam was the loudest I have ever heard the park. Watching a sellout crowd jumping up and down in the freezing cold rain kept me warm up in the farthest reaches of the Cell's upper deck. Konerkos slam was very memorable because of how quickly it happened after the pitching change. He just deposited the first pitch he saw into the left field bleachers.

Pods was the icing on the cake on that game, but Konerkos slam is what had me believing that there is no way we are going to lose this series. What everyone forgets is that Lidge gave up a warning track fly to Uribe right before Pods came up. I had a feeling someone was going to end it on a dong, I thought it was going to be Dye not Pods.

Having the Go Go White Sox song playing and then Thunderstruck and then the Dont stop believing(even though its corny) was a nice touch at the end of the game.

Edited by southsideirish71