House Dems Release Statement

Texsox

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 02:10 AM)
I thought that "Plan B" only worked to prevent conception which is why it was way less than 50% effective after 36 hours.

There is a dramatic drop in effectiveness after 36 hours if conception has occurred, but the 72 hour window advertized includes another 36 hours where the double dose of hormones is supposed to be enough to make the uterus somewhat hostile to implantation.

FDA:

Plan B works like other birth control pills to prevent pregnancy. Plan B acts primarily by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary (ovulation). It may prevent the union of sperm and egg (fertilization). If fertilization does occur, Plan B may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb (implantation). If a fertilized egg is implanted prior to taking Plan B, Plan B will not work.

The original papers describing its mode of action probably overstated the effectiveness in preventing implantation, but that was touted as one of the advantages.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
i never said they arent allowed to put out statements like this. how did you get that out of anything i've said? all i said was that it was written up and signed on government time, and it is just feel-good b.s.

this isnt a political thing for me. read my above posts. even if it was bipartisan or republican, it would still be smoke and mirrors.

Now hold on a second here.

Yeah, obviously, there is politics at play here. No denying it.

But I've heard on this board, over and over again, that the Dems need to find a more positive message, instead of just beating down Bush and Friends all the time. And I agree. And guess what? This is exactly that. It is a positive message sent by 55 Congressional Democrats.

So, even if it is politically motivated, how is it you can so quickly dismiss it, when it is an example of exactly what many GOP'ers and Indies have been asking for from the Dems?

:cheers for the Dems on this one. Politics or not, they sent a positive message, and attached themselves to a set of principles. Good for them.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
Now hold on a second here.

Yeah, obviously, there is politics at play here.  No denying it.

But I've heard on this board, over and over again, that the Dems need to find a more positive message, instead of just beating down Bush and Friends all the time.  And I agree.  And guess what?  This is exactly that.  It is a positive message sent by 55 Congressional Democrats.

So, even if it is politically motivated, how is it you can so quickly dismiss it, when it is an example of exactly what many GOP'ers and Indies have been asking for from the Dems?

:cheers  for the Dems on this one.  Politics or not, they sent a positive message, and attached themselves to a set of principles.  Good for them.

it's a start, and a lot more then I see republicans doing right now.

QUOTE(mreye @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
I'm too lazy to look, but I'd like to see how these Catholics voted on Abortion and Partial-Birth Abortion.

That was at the core of the statement. They talked about a US where abortion is not common, not about outlawing abortion. How that almost all Catholic beliefs fall within Democratic beliefs, except abortion. Capital Punishment, aid to the needy, most public aid programs are all within Catholic teaching. For Catholic Dems, abortion is a problem; For Catholic Reps, Capital Punishment is a problem.

What is significant here is a statement that you can be a religious person and be a part of the Democrat party and here is why.

My Church for example, unionized it's workers and has a very active Human Rights group, and a very active Peace and Justice group. We pray for the respect of human life and believe that no one should end life early. That's a cradle to grave prayer. No abortions and no executions.