NFL Labor Talks Break down

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
This could end up being great for the Colts, if they can't put a cap on it.

Mort says if a deal is done, Edge comes back and if not, he doesn't. He actually said it twice, so maybe they'd be better with a deal getting done.

I wouldn't worry too much. They'll get something done.

If they don't by the Friday deadline and there is no cap in 2007, there is going to be serious trouble after the 2007 season. The players have said they will never accept another cap if there is no cap in 2007 (ie there is no deal by Friday) and the owners aren't going to do a new deal with no cap. You may see a significant lockout in 2008 if there is no deal by Friday.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
If they don't by the Friday deadline and there is no cap in 2007, there is going to be serious trouble after the 2007 season.  The players have said they will never accept another cap if there is no cap in 2007 (ie there is no deal by Friday) and the owners aren't going to do a new deal with no cap.  You may see a significant lockout in 2008 if there is no deal by Friday.

Let me say this as clearly as I can:

There will NOT be a work stoppage in the NFL.

No league has EVER had as much to lose in a work stoppage as the NFL has right now. Even a short work stoppage could damage the NFL as much as teh whole 94 strike did baseball, and a protracted one could empty stadiums for years. That league is such a money making machine right now that they'd be better off having snipers at the games trying to take out the players and management than having a work stoppage.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)

No league has EVER had as much to lose in a work stoppage as the NFL has right now.  Even a short work stoppage could damage the NFL as much as teh whole 94 strike did baseball, and a protracted one could empty stadiums for years.  That league is such a money making machine right now that they'd be better off having snipers at the games trying to take out the players and management than having a work stoppage.

Well then one side is going to have to back down if there isn't a deal by the Friday deadline. The owner side isn't going to sign a new deal with a cap, and the players (and Upshaw) himself have said if there isn't a cap in 2007, they won't accept another deal with a cap. I agree with you the NFL would SOOO stupid to go through with it with all the money they make, but the power of greed can make common sense disappear.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)

No league has EVER had as much to lose in a work stoppage as the NFL has right now.  Even a short work stoppage could damage the NFL as much as teh whole 94 strike did baseball, and a protracted one could empty stadiums for years.  That league is such a money making machine right now that they'd be better off having snipers at the games trying to take out the players and management than having a work stoppage.

I disagree..

The tv contracts wouldn't change, and there's no way in hell the crowds would suffer. For every angry person who wouldn't want to go, there's 100 more that would love to go who never get the chance to.

In markets that like Arizona or something where they don't draw now, sure it may dip.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
This could end up being great for the Colts, if they can't put a cap on it.

Long term this would be terrible for teams like Indy. The rich owners would benefit more if there was no cap: Cowboys, Redskins, Seahawks, Giants, Dolphins and of course many more

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)
The tv contracts wouldn't change, and there's no way in hell the crowds would suffer. For every angry person who wouldn't want to go, there's 100 more that would love to go who never get the chance to.

In markets that like Arizona or something where they don't draw now, sure it may dip.

I believe MLB took that gamble in 94. It failed miserably. You shouldn't underestimate the ability of fans to hold a grudge for years.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
I believe MLB took that gamble in 94.  It failed miserably.  You shouldn't underestimate the ability of fans to hold a grudge for years.

8 games vs 81 games.

I don't think it's an issue, we'll see.