World Baseball Classic

Soxrock200

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
I'm still not even sure who's going to be playing on each team.

And that is the reason I'm going with Cuba. They're already good, and they've probably known their team forever. That's gotta help since they'll be working as a team and the other countries are kind of throwing teams together.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
And that is the reason I'm going with Cuba.  They're already good, and they've probably known their team forever.  That's gotta help since they'll be working as a team and the other countries are kind of throwing teams together.

Still, supposedly the talent level on the Cuban team has dropped quite a bit in recent years. On the other hand, they did win the Gold in Sydney, so who knows.

See, now it's things like This which make me not want to pick anyone.

New York Mets closer Billy Wagner and Cleveland pitcher C.C. Sabathia withdrew Wednesday from the U.S. roster for the World Baseball Classic and were replaced by Washington right-hander Gary Majewski and Yankees left-hander Al Leiter.

Seriously, how many people have to withdraw before you wind up with AL LEITER on the team? Something tells me that it won't be a great estimation of actual talent in those countries.

QUOTE(Soxrock200 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
Who you choosing in WBC :usa  :canada

If all the best players were participating, no team could touch the U.S.'s pitching staff. Since they're not, I really don't care. Move this thing to November!

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
Still, supposedly the talent level on the Cuban team has dropped quite a bit in recent years.  On the other hand, they did win the Gold in Sydney, so who knows.

Cuba won the gold medal but not against the talent that will be in the WBC. I think Cuba will not be very good because they have lost so much talent.

I didnt think the USA would win at first but Im starting to like their chances more.

But I would say Venezula is also going to be good.

It's really hard to say based on all of the guys that are dropping out. There are really only like 5 teams that have any chance, so it's a little easier to figure it out.

I don't think the Dominican Republic does it because they're losing a lot of their top players. Without Pedro and probably without Colon, their pitching lacks punch. Their lineup also loses a lot of punch without Manny and Vlad.

Puerto Rico has some talent, but probably not enough. Thier pitching is thin, and Delgado, Beltran, and I-Rod are the only imposing hitters.

That leaves you with only 3 teams that have a solid shot at winning it:

Cuba looks like they have pretty much all of their top players (only major exception is Dayan Viciedo, and he's pretty young). They are definitely a threat.

Venezuela has several top notch starters and a couple of good arms out of the pen. Their lineup looks a little light outside of a couple of hitters, but if they make it to the finals they'll be a tough out with Santana and Zambrano on the mound.

The US still has a pretty good shot because they have a better draw than most of the other contenders and they still probably have the best pitching staff. To the best of my knowledge they still have Roger, Dontrelle, and Peavy, plus some solid bullpen guys with Lidge, Nathan, Shields, Street and Timlin. Their outfield is only ok, but their infield gives them enough punch to have a pretty good lineup too.

I'm going to go with the US because as of right now they have the deepest team and don't really have to play any major competition until the semis. I'll have to drop them a bit if another big name or two drops out.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 2, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
Domincan is so deep in hitting they can afford some players withdrawing.  Pitching is a little questionable. I still go with DR.

Their hitting isn't the same ridiculously strong lineup lineup without Manny and Vlad. It's going to be harder for them to win considering their pitching. Their outfield looks pretty weak now, and they don't have a 3B or a catcher. Plus Soriano isn't as good as he was. Pujols, Ortiz, and Tejada probably can't win it for them.

Their hitting isn't the same ridiculously strong lineup lineup without Manny and Vlad. It's going to be harder for them to win considering their pitching. Their outfield looks pretty weak now, and they don't have a 3B or a catcher. Plus Soriano isn't as good as he was. Pujols, Ortiz, and Tejada probably can't win it for them.

They have Adrian Beltre. This is still their potential: Beltre, Pujols, Soriano, Papi, and Tejada. Plus, with the pullout of Manny and Vlad, it opens up possibilites for more balance to the lineup with guys like Willy Taverez and Wily Mo Pena

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 2, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
Chinese Taipei...but the geniuses at ESPN flashed the score of the game, while it was taking place...there goest the element of surprise.

I didn't see that, but I eventually fell asleep too. I hate it when they ruin stuff like that. You'd think they'd be smarter.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 02:10 AM)
They have Adrian Beltre. This is still their potential: Beltre, Pujols, Soriano, Papi, and Tejada. Plus, with the pullout of Manny and Vlad, it opens up possibilites for more balance to the lineup with guys like Willy Taverez and Wily Mo Pena

There's no conceivable way that losing Manny and Vlad makes your lineup better. Beltre was a one year wonder, he's not that good. Their lineup probably looks something like this:

1- Taveras, CF

2- Soriano, 2B (or probably Reyes on occasion)

3- Pujols, 1B

4- Ortiz, DH

5- Tejada, SS

6- Alou, LF

7- Beltre, 3B

8- Encarnacion/Sosa, RF (not sure who'll play there, but those 2 are on the roster.)

9- Olivo, C

I'd much rather have the US lineup, which is probably going to look something like this:

1- Damon, LF

2- Jeter/Young, SS

3- A-Rod, 3B

4- Lee, 1B

5- Teixeira, DH

6- Griffey, RF

7- Wells, CF

8- Varitek, C

9- Utley/Young, 2B

It's a lot more balanced, and when you add in the far superior pitching, the US appears to have a much better team.