Shawn Marion, Phoenix

Brad Miller, Sacramento

Chris Paul, NO/Okla. City

Paul Pierce, Boston

Michael Redd, Milwaukee

Luke Ridnour, Seattle

Amare Stoudemire, Phoenix

Dwyane Wade, Miami

How does Ridnour make it, but now Hinrich? Well, it doesn't matter Hinrich nor Ridnour would have made the final roster.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Some of those guys seem to fit the profile, but there are some interesting omissions and some weird inclusions. It seems to me like Rip and Rasheed would have been good fits for the national team, especially considering they wanted to emphasize shooting and team work. Ray Allen is another one, although some would argue that he doesn't fit as a good teammate.

On the other hand, Ridnour isn't really a good fit for what they need because he isn't the greatest jump-shooter and isn't the greatest executer in the half court. The two Howards are fairly solid, but they have a similar problem with shooting. Jamison also surprises me, I don't get that at all.

Wait, you are complaining about Hinrich, but not Iverson? Iverson is better than most of the players on that team, and has been successful on the US team before. He's a leader, and expressed interest in playing again.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
The two Howards are fairly solid, but they have a similar problem with shooting.

I don't think it really matters Dwight Howard doesn't have that much of a post game at the moment because he's become such a monster already in terms of rebounding, putbacks etc. that he'll be a big asset to that team.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
I don't think it really matters Dwight Howard doesn't have that much of a post game at the moment because he's become such a monster already in terms of rebounding, putbacks etc. that he'll be a big asset to that team.

He did get posterized by Lamar though.

I disagree with people saying Ridnour is a bad selection and wouldn't have made it. He's a pretty good player in the half-court offense(don't know where anyone got the notion that he's bad at that), he's great at running the fast break and good at deferring to others. Plus he doesn't need to dominate the ball.

Honestly, Hinrich = East Coast Ridnour in terms of impact and type of game though Hinrich is more versatile at defense.

*awaits flaming*

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 06:47 PM)
He did get posterized by Lamar though.

He's had a couple of bad games in a row, and his man on man defense can still be improved a hell of a lot. But he still had 15 points, 9 boards which is not a bad game.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 04:28 AM)
I disagree with people saying Ridnour is a bad selection and wouldn't have made it. He's a pretty good player in the half-court offense(don't know where anyone got the notion that he's bad at that), he's great at running the fast break and good at deferring to others. Plus he doesn't need to dominate the ball.

Honestly, Hinrich = East Coast Ridnour in terms of impact and type of game though Hinrich is more versatile at defense.

*awaits flaming*

Kirk > ridnour

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
Wait, you are complaining about Hinrich, but not Iverson?  Iverson is better than most of the players on that team, and has been successful on the US team before.  He's a leader, and expressed interest in playing again.

He'll also be 33 by 08.

Shane Battier, Memphis

Bruce Bowen, San Antonio

Josh Howard, Dallas

These are guys I would realistically take Ridnour or Hinrich over. I think Bowen is overrated and that physical play won't fly in international competition. Battier is a completely overrated player in my eyes. Howard is nice, but there already are better SG's and SF's than him.

My team:

PG-Chauncey Billups/Chris Paul

SG-Kobe Bryant/Dwyane Wade

SF-LeBron James/Shawn Marion/Paul Pierce

PF-Elton Brand/Chris Bosh/Dwight Howard

C-Amare Stoudamire/Brad Miller

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
Shane Battier, Memphis

Bruce Bowen, San Antonio

Josh Howard, Dallas

These are guys I would realistically take Ridnour or Hinrich over. I think Bowen is overrated and that physical play won't fly in international competition. Battier is a completely overrated player in my eyes. Howard is nice, but there already are better SG's and SF's than him.

I'd take Howard over ridnour. Agreed on bowen. Not sure why they would want battier either.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
My team:

PG-Chauncey Billups/Chris Paul

SG-Kobe Bryant/Dwyane Wade

SF-LeBron James/Shawn Marion/Paul Pierce

PF-Elton Brand/Chris Bosh/Dwight Howard

C-Amare Stoudamire/Brad Miller

I like it. I might even take Arenas over Wade since he can hit a jump shot, which was one of the many problems last time...And we still need to see how Amare looks when he gets back.

I'm also curious to see how old billups and Pierce will be by then...too lazy to look it up.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
I really think Bowen is the perfect guy for this team.  Fantasic D, good 3 point shooter.  Put me on the bandwagon who definitely thinks Bruce should be on the team.

I won't even comment on how his D is kinda overrated and his shooting isn't all that good...I'll just say he'll be 37 in '08.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
OMG JJ REDICK ISN'T ON THIS LIST? ARE YOU SERIOUS? ARE YOU SERIOUS? OHHHHHHHHHHHH, OHHHHHHHHHH ARE YOU SERIOUS?

- Dick Vitale

I think they're holding spots for 2-3 younger guys...so there's still a chance! :D

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
Shane Battier, Memphis

Bruce Bowen, San Antonio

Josh Howard, Dallas

These are guys I would realistically take Ridnour or Hinrich over.

Ok, let's review.

Shane Battier

Yeah, you could take Ridnour or Hinrich over him, but it's close.

Josh Howard

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll assume your kidding.

Bruce Bowen

He's EXACTLY what the team needs, a shutdown defender who is money from the perimeter. I'll take him over Ridnour or Hinrich no question.

I guess you could argue Hinrich over Battier or Ridnour, but that's it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
Ok, let's review.

Yeah, you could take Ridnour or Hinrich over him, but it's close.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'll assume your kidding.

He's EXACTLY what the team needs, a shutdown defender who is money from the perimeter.  I'll take him over Ridnour or Hinrich no question.

I guess you could argue Hinrich over Battier or Ridnour, but that's it.

Well no, I think Howard is a tiny bit ahead of Ridnour and Hinrich, but the thing is he doesn't play PG and there's a glut of SF's and SG's you'd be crazy not to take over Howard. He's a nice player though.

BTW, Team USA will be reserving 3 spots for young players to try out and the leading candidates are in fact JJ Reddick, Adam Morrison and Greg Oden.