American Idol Predictions

Soxy

Extremely bored. But I've been at the point where I want Taylor to just get booted so that he can hit the studio and record and I can stop watching this damn show. The only thing surprising to me is how far Paris has fallen in my eyes. She bugs the heck out of me and I find her terrible on stage.

For as much as I liked Chris in the beginning, I am now sick to death of him and it is pissing me off that those idiots behind the desk are thinking he is great for the style. In all reality Chris is not known in the Metal world because he is a decent singer, not a great one in the style. Pepper Keenan from Corrosion Of Conformity is a prime example of a brilliant voice for the style that Chris is in. Almost anybody in that style that is signed is worlds better than Chris. Chris is good enough to be a local guy in a bigger city. It's a shame to think that somebody as mediocre as him is going to walk away with a contract, and so many others who are better will still be trying.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 07:05 AM)
Is anyone else incredibly bored by this season?  Yeah these people are talented, as a group probably more so than any other year, but it seems like the same episode over and over again.

Chris sings the same type of rock song

Kellie saids something stupid and sings a twangy country song

Mandisa sings a big sounding soul/gospel song

Ace sings something that ends with him making that stupid face to the audience

Paris sings something showtuneish with tons of range

Taylor sings a jazzy tune

Bucky sings a crappy country song

To be honest the only chances I ever see taken are by Katharine, Elliot (more than anyone) and Lisa (who is gone this week anyway.

I miss the years past when their "theme" weeks meant that someone was going to be unconfortable.  Now their themes are all so broad that no one ever has to take any risk.  You could watch the first week or the fifth and it would be the exact samething.  I can't believe I am saying this but give me a country week or a broadway showtunes week... something, anything to make people do something different.

I agree with ya 100%!!! and Ace with that fricken stare...I'm waiting for one of the judges to be like cut it out dude...you look like a stroke. Then he was shaking his arm at the end.... trying to be passionate...I guess. How can you be so passionate that you tremble when you are singing someone elses words? It's a cover song. His act is really wearing thin on me.

I also think Lisa is gone. She just can't seem to sing a song from the last 20 years.

Lisa is for sure gone.

And you're right SS, last night was D-U-L-L. Moreso than usual. In fact, the best part was how crap they all were (I enjoyed Taylor, Katherine and Elliot), it reminded me of the fun audition days.

Aside from Elliot and Taylor I don't even remember who sang what. Just dull and forgettable. At least it was only an hour long.

Here's my question: can people not hear how off pitch they are? Ace, Lisa, Kellie (and to a lesser degree, Bucky) all had major pitch problems. I mean, it made me think, did they switch the key at the last minute so they were singing in a different key than the band? Just atrociously savagely (awesomely) bad.

Soxy, I am glad I am the only one who thought that pretty much everyone stunk last night. I am by no means a music person, so I hate to critisize technical things, but I thought most of them were awful. Plus I was irritated by seeing the feeling like I was in Groundhogs Day again, so I didn't know if that was coloring my view of the preformances.

I liked Taylor a lot, I thought Elliot sounded out of breath a couple of times, but wasn't too bad. I thought Mandisa was excellent, but I am sooooo bored with her (and everyone else) all sounding the same.

My predictions for the bottom 3

Lisa, Bucky, Ace and like I said earlier, Lisa... SHE GAWN!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
My predictions for the bottom 3

Lisa, Bucky, Ace and like I said earlier, Lisa... SHE GAWN!

Well, you know it's going to be bad when Bucky gives far from the worst vocal performance.

I agree with your bottom three, but if it was based purely on vocals from last night I think it would be Kellie instead of Bucky. Lisa, Kellie and Ace were actually physically painful. . .

QUOTE(Soxy @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
Well, you know it's going to be bad when Bucky gives far from the worst vocal performance.

I agree with your bottom three, but if it was based purely on vocals from last night I think it would be Kellie instead of Bucky. Lisa, Kellie and Ace were actually physically painful. . .

Yeah, I thought Bucky had a decent night, but he really doesn't seem to have too much support. He was definately better than Kellie, who I would have to think about stopping before running over in the crosswalk... Unfortunately too many people are buying into the cute dumb blonde thing and she gets to stick around.

It didn't surprise me that Lisa is gone tonight, but I believe it should have been Bucky. Bucky is just plain average at best. His song last night fit his abilities, but he's just not good, has no stage presence and has no star quality whatsoever.

Either Bucky really does have some support since he wasn't in tonight's bottom 3 OR, as I have long believed, AI is somewhat fixed.

By that I mean, I don't have any faith in their bottom three each week. I don't buy that the three they put up there are the three with the least votes. Until an independent 3rd party releases the votes each week, I will never believe it.

AI has an interesting habit of (strategically, I think) placing an unexpected wild card in their "bottom 3". I completely believe it is done strictly as a way to create buzz and get more people to vote and more people to talk about the show.

I do agree with ss2k about the show becoming boring and the often too similar. I did find it funny that one week Simon compliments Chris as "the only contestant we have ever had that has refused to compromise" to the next week saying "you have got to try something new". They have done nothing but kiss Chris' ass when he turns everything into a rock song and all of a sudden, he does a little Creed and they turn on him.

Judges one week will tell a contestant to stick with what they do well, then the next week they tell them they were too safe. I watch because they have talent and I have none musically. I enjoy seeing people get a chance to succeed on a national stage like that. But in the last few weeks, no one has really blown me away.

That was Simon covering his own ass for praising Chris on his "originality" the week before. Just as in the pre-song interview Chris got the chance to make it sound as if he worshipped Live, which makes him look better for having used their version of the Cash song. But both he and Simon looked like idiots after last week, so now Simon had to do something to save face. He read all the anti-Chris stuff, so he had to jump on the bandwagon.

As for Bucky, I think the power of Country music in the country will keep he and the pickled idiot around for a few more weeks. Ace will fall before Kellie. But country and the whole "redneck" thing is so dang big right now and that's what will keep them alive.

Next weeks show will suck terribly. Modern commercial country, with the exception of a Cash or friggin' Patsy Cline song for 60 minutes. Boy, hopefully somebody (Bucky) will do something from the godawful "Big & Rich"!

Lets see American Idol get some REAL guts and show they really care about talent and pull in friggin' Hank Williams III to perform on results night! Hopefully he'll show up drunk and puke all over Paula. Hell, he'd probably steal her pills.

Oh, and it was funny to see Simon say "Creed wouldn't be caught dead on this show". Who the hell is he kidding??? Creed would have blown their way to get onto that damn show. Yeah, Creed, the pinnacle on music integrity and the high point of "underground". Prove to us a little more about how all these judges know about is "Pop", please.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
Oh, and it was funny to see Simon say "Creed wouldn't be caught dead on this show". Who the hell is he kidding??? Creed would have blown their way to get onto that damn show. Yeah, Creed, the pinnacle on music integrity and the high point of "underground". Prove to us a little more about how all these judges know about is "Pop", please.

Would have... but not anymore. I think that's what he was getting at.

I was kinda sad to see Lisa go, as she had a nice genuine personality, which seems to be getting more rare on that show, and wasn't afraid to try something different.

I am glad to see it be country week, and hopefully they will work the arrangements to the point where these people can't weasel another week of their chosen niche.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 06:56 AM)
Would have... but not anymore.  I think that's what he was getting at.

Scott Stapp would be in the show in a second, in all his drunken glory. Alter Bridge probably wouldn't. I guess that would be fine though and fit with the theme of the show. A good band would avoid the show, while the crap would gladly show up.

Chris will be fine. Fine a Country tune along the lines of "Wanted Dead Or Alive" and his voice will be fine and everybody will praise him again on making a song his own. Country is too easy to use his voice with. You want it tough on him, do Disco. Country is still Rock, no matter how you cut it and it's EASY to blur those lines.

I agree that country will not be a problem for Chris this week. He'll find something up tempo like Garth and do it well. I'm not much of a country guy (okay, I really hate it) so I don't know of specific songs, but I can see him doing well.

Could this week be a problem for Mandisa or Paris?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
I agree that country will not be a problem for Chris this week.  He'll find something up tempo like Garth and do it well.  I'm not much of a country guy (okay, I really hate it) so I don't know of specific songs, but I can see him doing well.

Paris. Mandisa could sing a McDonalds menu and make it sound good. She will have a contract and a following, and a long life in the business.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
I agree that country will not be a problem for Chris this week.  He'll find something up tempo like Garth and do it well.  I'm not much of a country guy (okay, I really hate it) so I don't know of specific songs, but I can see him doing well.

Mandisa actually sang Faith Hill a while back. She didn't country it up, but it still had a slight country vibe to it.

But Paris will Struggle. I also see McPhee and Ace (crap I can't sing in falsetto this week) having a problem.

It will be interesting to see how Kellie and Bucky do respond because while it is their genre, it also puts the pressure on them to be that much better than everyone else.

Hopefully they do something completely opposite the following week like Disco/Showtunes/Soul just throw some other people off.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
Read somewhere the following week will be the songs of Queen.  Take that for what it is worth.

Well, Queen was my first obsession in the music world when I was 7 years old. So, this is reason for suicide, IMO.

I think my daughter summed it up best for this week.

There were some really bad weeks for a couple of the top people. Taylor and Elliot just looked awful uncomfortable, and didn't sound much better. I thought all things considered Katharine gave the preformance of the week. Kellie was as expected, good but not spectacular for it being her "thing". Mandisa and Paris were both better than I thought they would be, but not great. Bucky was very disappointing for what should have been his week. Ace did a solid job, and Chris was good too.

The bottom 3 is much tougher this week, but I think it is time to go out on a limb a little. I think this week we will see Bucky, Taylor, and Mandisa in the bottom 3, with a shocked Mandisa going home.

Wow Mike! She is getting so big (and cuter than a button!!!!)!

I think the bottom 3 this week will be Elliot, Mandisa and Ace. I'm not sure who will go home, but I think you might be right in your Mandisa pick. Who picked the wrong song and the wrong top (horizontal stripes, um, no).