Rowand and the Ring Ceremony

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could have swore both Derek Lowe and Dave Roberts were there for the ring ceremony when the Sawx won the World Series. Lowe, a Dodger, even wore his Red Sox jersey. Is this any different? Is it up to Aaron? I'm sure the White Sox extended an invitation; it's probably in the hands of both the Phillies and Aaron. I would imagine Aaron would love to come back for the ceremony and reunite with his Stooges, but, I could also just as easily see him decline and start a new chapter of his life in red spikes.

Anyone hear anything?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
I could have swore both Derek Lowe and Dave Roberts were there for the ring ceremony when the Sawx won the World Series.  Lowe, a Dodger, even wore his Red Sox jersey.  Is this any different? Is it up to Aaron?  I'm sure the White Sox extended an invitation; it's probably in the hands of both the Phillies and Aaron.  I would imagine Aaron would love to come back for the ceremony and reunite with his Stooges, but, I could also just as easily see him decline and start a new chapter of his life in red spikes.

Anyone hear anything?

Yes, the BoSox brought back Lowe and a couple other guys who had departed after their title and even had them in uniform.

A couple of the teams where our guys wound up do have offdays on ring-ceremony day, including the Phillies and the Diamondbacks. Seattle does not.

A month ago or so, I emailed Brooks Boyer with this exact question about the ring ceremony, and his reply was "We know the schedules or our ex-players, and we're looking into it."

I know Lowe attended the Red Sox ring ceremony. I also remember him getting a lot of flack from the LA media about it. I think alot of it had to do with him wearing a Red Sox jersey to the thing.

Not sure if Aaron would do it, but Philly fans and media were giving him s*** for simply going to a Bears game. He might not want to subject himself to the scrutiny. It would be awesome if he was there though.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
If that's the case, Frank better be invited as well.

Frank won't attend. He is already on record as saying that he wouldn't have thrown out the first pitch in the WS, there is no reason to believe he would pick up his ring in front of everyone either.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
I know Lowe attended the Red Sox ring ceremony.  I also remember him getting a lot of flack from the LA media about it.  I think alot of it had to do with him wearing a Red Sox jersey to the thing.

Not sure if Aaron would do it, but Philly fans and media were giving him s*** for simply going to a Bears game.  He might not want to subject himself to the scrutiny.  It would be awesome if he was there though.

Ultimately, I think that's what it's going to come down to. The fans of Philladelphia are world-renown for their behavior; does Aaron want to start off on the wrong foot? Would he just not care? We'll see.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
Frank won't attend.  He is already on record as saying that he wouldn't have thrown out the first pitch in the WS, there is no reason to believe he would pick up his ring in front of everyone either.

Well the invite better be extended anyway. He's the best player ever to put on the uniform. He also better be getting a statue if guys like Fisk got one.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
Well the invite better be extended anyway. He's the best player ever to put on the uniform. He also better be getting a statue if guys like Fisk got one.

It won't be a matter of the Sox not wanting to recognize Frank. It will be matter of Frank refusing to participate, which he basically already stated.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)

He'll get his statue. He'll also get his number retired. It won't happen until Frank retires (another 4 to 5 years from now, according to Frank), and it probably won't happen for a few years after that. But things will die down, and just like Fisk was welcomed back, so will Frank. You can count on it.

I think the way this debacle b/t Thomas and the Sox is going, I don't even think he's going to get his ring personally delieverd by the Sox. They might just stick it in the mail and hope he gets it. What is Brooks Boyer's email? I want to know if Shingo is going to get a ring or not. PM me if anyone has it. Also, are players like Minoso, Aparcio, etc. going to get rings, like the Red Sox did with Buckner and Fisk

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
Also, are players like Minoso, Aparcio, etc. going to get rings, like the Red Sox did with Buckner and Fisk

I guess its entirely up to the organization. Not sure, but I think those still involved in the organization will get a ring (Minoso, Pierce, Kittle, etc).

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
Not sure if Aaron would do it, but Philly fans and media were giving him s*** for simply going to a Bears game.  He might not want to subject himself to the scrutiny.  It would be awesome if he was there though.

How about f*** that. You only live once, and he may never have another opportunity to receive a World Series Championship ring in front of adoring fans. If he does show up, he will get the loudest ovation out of anyone!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
How about f*** that.  You only live once, and he may never have another opportunity to receive a World Series Championship ring in front of adoring fans.  If he does show up, he will get the loudest ovation out of anyone!

I agree, that it the same way I felt about all the ceremonies and events that came after the WS. Every player and coach should attend them all because they may never get another chance to experience them.

It'd be cool to see Aaron and others come back, and I had to be cold hearted about this but I'll be happy once it's done when Aaron and fans can move on and Aaron can contribute to the Phillies. It's not that I don't like hearing about Aaron, but he's a member of the Phillies now, which means he has new obligations for them and not us obviously.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
How about f*** that.  You only live once, and he may never have another opportunity to receive a World Series Championship ring in front of adoring fans.  If he does show up, he will get the loudest ovation out of anyone!

I agree with ya. If it were me, I'd be there. But I'm not Aaron. And if he decided that it would be best to not attend, I wouldn't have a problem with it and would understand why he made that decision. But, if I were a betting man, I'd say he'll be there.