Sox looking to sign Hideo Nomo

SSH2005

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 2, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
Someone has to start for Charlotte.  It's not like they are going to be paying Nomo millions of dollars.

arent there any prospects we would rather be looking at? I just think theres no benefit to having him. If we are short on pitchers in charlotte and we have no prospects to use then its fine to sign Nomo

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
arent there any prospects we would rather be looking at?  I just think theres no benefit to having him.  If we are short on pitchers in charlotte and we have no prospects to use then its fine to sign Nomo

Not really. When you consider Munoz and Diaz were starting in Charlotte last season and they won't be back there, B-Mac pitched some time in Charlotte as well and he won't be there either.

As for arms coming up, well Sean Tracey is probably moving to the pen, even if he doesn't make the 25 man roster out of ST, but they may make him start at Charlotte anyways, don't know yet.

Most of our better pitching prospects like Lance Broadway, Ray Liotta and Tyler Lumsden will probably start the year down at Birmingham.

Japan ball.com said he has signed with us.

Nomo agrees to minor league deal with White Sox

email this print this

TUCSON, Arizona, March 1 (14:19) Kyodo

Japanese right-hander Hideo Nomo has agreed to terms on a minor

league contract with the Chicago White Sox, Director of Player

Development Dave Wilder said Wednesday.

Nomo, 37, is expected to report to Triple-A Charlotte next week

after the White Sox announce the deal in the next few days, Wilder

said.

Nomo started the 2005 season with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and

posted his 200th career win in a 5-3 win over the Milwaukee Brewers

on June 15. He was released by the Devil Rays in mid-July after

struggling on the mound with a 5-8 record and a 7.24 ERA in 19 starts.

He signed a minor league contract with the New York Yankees in

late July and stayed at Triple-A Columbus for the rest of the season.

Nomo compiled a 78-46 record in Japan from 1990-94 and has

posted 123-109 in the major leagues, pitching for the Los Angeles

Dodgers, the New York Mets, the Brewers, the Detroit Tigers, the

Boston Red Sox and the Devil Rays

That makes no sense. He wouldn't be reporting to AAA Charlotte that quickly.

I was thinking Nomo was coming in to soleley give the club some starter innings during spring training. My thoughts were that maybe the Sox didn't have enough guys to make starts when Vaz, Count and Freddy are at the WBC? Especially if there are some split squad games as well.

Obviously Mac, Buehrle, Garland can start and Redding good see some action there. But aside from that the Sox don't have any guys near major league ready that can start. They could give Broadway a shot but he'd get hammered and so would most of the younger minor leaguers they could run out.

Plus I would think at one point they'd start making sure Mac was coming in during situations where there were runners on base just so he could get used to it. Same with Redding.

Thats just a guess on my part for why Nomo was brought it. He's probably happy to give the club those innings cause it will give him a shot to sign on somewhere else.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
That makes no sense.  He wouldn't be reporting to AAA Charlotte that quickly. 

I was thinking Nomo was coming in to soleley give the club some starter innings during spring training.  My thoughts were that maybe the Sox didn't have enough guys to make starts when Vaz, Count and Freddy are at the WBC?  Especially if there are some split squad games as well. 

Obviously Mac, Buehrle, Garland can start and Redding good see some action there.  But aside from that the Sox don't have any guys near major league ready that can start. They could give Broadway a shot but he'd get hammered and so would most of the younger minor leaguers they could run out. 

Plus I would think at one point they'd start making sure Mac was coming in during situations where there were runners on base just so he could get used to it.  Same with Redding. 

Thats just a guess on my part for why Nomo was brought it.  He's probably happy to give the club those innings cause it will give him a shot to sign on somewhere else.

Contreras isn't at the WBC. He's persona-non-grata with Cuba.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 08:00 AM)
Contreras isn't at the WBC.  He's persona-non-grata with Cuba.

What exactly is that? I'm lost cause I swear I saw a him on the front page of ESPN.com about a week ago and the point was that Cuba would only be as good as Contreras and how he would be the guy that needed to carry them.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
What exactly is that?  I'm lost cause I swear I saw a him on the front page of ESPN.com about a week ago and the point was that Cuba would only be as good as Contreras and how he would be the guy that needed to carry them.

Contreras is basically a non-person in Cuba because he defected. The players on the Cuban team cannot even talk about him, from what I understand from comments made by Jose. He won't be playing with Cuba.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
Contreras is basically a non-person in Cuba because he defected.  The players on the Cuban team cannot even talk about him, from what I understand from comments made by Jose.  He won't be playing with Cuba.

Oh well in that case I'll shutup. I was thinking we only had two pitchers but than I just assumed Count was on the Cuban team.

Thanks for straightening that out Yas.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
Oh well in that case I'll shutup.  I was thinking we only had two pitchers but than I just assumed Count was on the Cuban team. 

Thanks for straightening that out Yas.

No charge.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:10 AM)
With baseball always looking for pitching if no one else will take him .....that is all i need to know .......PASS!

maybe we won a furious bidding war for his minor league contract?