the power couple

samclemens

QUOTE(samclemens @ Mar 2, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
BILL CLINTON HELPED DUBAI ON PORTS DEAL...

(http://news.ft.com/cms/s/60414c4c-a95e-11da-a64b-0000779e2340.html)

...As Hillary attacks its US ports deal

(http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/02/060302151101.0epolmxs.html)

i'm not suprised. this is why hillary will not win the presidential election.

"I am deeply concerned that the proposed transfer of seaport operations to a company controlled by the United Arab Emirates government might compromise our ability to effectively control our ports and harbors,"
Elizabeth Dole, in a letter to Sen. John Warner of Virginia, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, of which she is a member.

"The Dubai-based company at the center of a controversy over the management of six U.S. seaports has hired former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole to lobby on its behalf against bipartisan criticism of the deal, a Dole aide said Wednesday.
(CNN)

QUOTE(samclemens @ Mar 2, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
this is why hillary will not win the presidential election.

This hypocritical garbage only scratches the surface. Hillary has so many skeletons in her closet and the distrust of so many moderates that her campaign is dommed from the beginning.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 2, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
This hypocritical garbage only scratches the surface.  Hillary has so many skeletons in her closet and the distrust of so many moderates that her campaign is dommed from the beginning.

It's also not just moderates who don't like her.

Now I think the Dubai deal is a bad thing. But I get a f***ing kick out of wacky liberals like Hillary jumping up and down because of the Dubai deal. She must take some amnesia pills, because she must forget about her husband snuggling up to the Chinese. You know the Chinese that he decided to do a bit of business with. In a very similar deal, a wholely owned Chinese government company Cosco was to take over a port. Bill was all over this deal, how it was a good thing. Shocking what a 300k donation to the DNC does to clear the conscience. I was upset when this was going on in 97 and 98. I was upset when the panama canal handover to the chinese was going on. And I am upset about this now. Oddly if you look at the Cosco deal, they are just as slimey and have done worse than the Dubai company. I dont remember Hillary giving her husband a slap in the head over that and giving speeches.

Cosco takeover of old US Naval Station

Hillary re-styling herself as a moderate or even a hawk is funny.

Edited by southsideirish71

Turns out not only was Bill Clinton advising Dubai on how to get the ports deal approved, but also he was trying to get one of his old buddies hired on to handle the PR aspect of things, who just happens to currently be employed by Senator Clinton through his consulting firm.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationw...nationworld-hed

Former President Bill Clinton coached United Arab Emirates officials on how to handle the Dubai ports controversy two weeks ago, but he didn't tell his wife about that conversation, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton disclosed Thursday.

The telephone chat between Clinton and the UAE officials, which took place while the former president was traveling in Pakistan, ended with his advising state-owned Dubai Ports World to voluntarily submit to a 45-day probe, said people familiar with the exchange.

That puts Clinton publicly in line with the position of his wife: that the ports deal could compromise national security. At the same time, however, his tight relationship with Dubai officials seems to be a political embarrassment for New York's junior senator.

Conservative columnist Robert Novak reported Thursday that the former president urged Dubai officials to hire former White House Press Secretary Joe Lockhart to handle damage control on the ports--despite the fact that Lockhart's consulting firm is a central part of Sen. Clinton's political operation.

So that makes 3 Presidents that have now come out publically in favor of this deal, from all sides of the spectrum.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
Turns out not only was Bill Clinton advising Dubai on how to get the ports deal approved, but also he was trying to get one of his old buddies hired on to handle the PR aspect of things, who just happens to currently be employed by Senator Clinton through his consulting firm.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationw...nationworld-hed

So that makes 3 Presidents that have now come out publically in favor of this deal, from all sides of the spectrum.

Actually, Bill Clinton publicly opposes the deal.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
Isn't it? The amount of inbreeding regarding all sides on this deal blows my mind.

If it hasn't been said already...

"Its not what you know... Its who you know."

Or to make it a 21st century version, "Its who you pay".

Exactly.

BTW, we should kick them all out of their ports. I'm not protectionist by any means - but I don't feel comfortable with private industry controlling our country's exit and entry points. And I'm really uncomfortable with other governments controlling private industry.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
Exactly.

BTW, we should kick them all out of their ports. I'm not protectionist by any means - but I don't feel comfortable with private industry controlling our country's exit and entry points. And I'm really uncomfortable with other governments controlling private industry.

Well, except it's not 'private industry' in the traditional sense, or at least that's what they want you to think. What are "Port Authorities..."? (more of a rhetorical question, but I want to see where this goes).

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
Exactly.

Well, in that case, you should really like this bill proposed by Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-CA).

House Armed Services Committee chairman Duncan Hunter (R-El Cajon), seeking to derail a government-owned Arab company's plans to manage port facilities in six American cities, said Thursday he would introduce legislation not only to kill that deal but also to prevent foreign companies from controlling facilities determined to be critical to U.S. national security.

Hunter's legislation could affect the Los Angeles-Long Beach port complex, where 13 of the 14 container terminal operations are foreign-owned. "It makes sense in this new age of terrorism that critical infrastructure be owned by Americans," Hunter said in an interview. He said his proposal could apply not only to ports but also to power plants and "other infrastructure that is critical to the nation."

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
Port Authorities are regulated by the state. Although they may have a somewhat private existence, they can't make a lot of decisions without governmental approval and oversight. Like for example - the PANYNJ here.

I dealt quite a bit with the Port Authority of New York/New Jersey when I was at the airline. Always on the phone with those people because they could never get their #$^#^& paperwork right. You talk about buerocracy (sp). Ouch.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
If she runs for president, then this is an issue.

If it's inappropriate in the case of a Senator who may run for the White House, how exactly is it not inappropriate in the case of another Senator?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)
If she runs for president, then this is an issue.

did i miss Hillary announcing that she's running???

junior senator from ny is against the port issue while her husband is serving as a consultant= junior senator from nc is against the port issue while her husband is serving as a consultant.