Yesterday's Outage

Chisoxfn

The prior note was kind of stuck in a glitch thread so I just want people to know that the reason you couldn't access Soxtalk for a large portion of the day on Thursday was due to an error in the program the runs all the PHP.

Because of that the front page and forum (which are both PHP based) were basically acting as if they couldn't recognize the code. We had not seen the issue before, but we have been doing some other server stuff on the back end and by mid day we had isolated and solved the problem.

Everything should be set and I wouldn't expect any sort of significant outage (not that we ever do) but every once in a while an error will happen and being that we are amateurs sometimes it takes us a bit.

I appreciate everyone's patience and apologize for the downtime. We are always trying to do things to ensure that the downtime will decrease and I'd like to think that ever year we've improved on that and we'll be doing what we can to prepare the site for the new season and more site growth so that there won't be many slowdowns.

We are also working on some alternatives to getting the search function working again (but in a different way).

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop and thanks so much for making Soxtalk what it is today. The site is only as good as the community and I personally think you, the members, are amazing. :cheers

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 12:30 AM)
The prior note was kind of stuck in a glitch thread so I just want people to know that the reason you couldn't access Soxtalk for a large portion of the day on Thursday was due to an error in the program the runs all the PHP. 

Because of that the front page and forum (which are both PHP based) were basically acting as if they couldn't recognize the code.  We had not seen the issue before, but we have been doing some other server stuff on the back end and by mid day we had isolated and solved the problem. 

Everything should be set and I wouldn't expect any sort of significant outage (not that we ever do) but every once in a while an error will happen and being that we are amateurs sometimes it takes us a bit.

I appreciate everyone's patience and apologize for the downtime.  We are always trying to do things to ensure that the downtime will increase and I'd like to think that ever year we've improved on that and we'll be doing what we can to prepare the site for the new season and more site growth so that there won't be many slowdowns.

We are also working on some alternatives to getting the search function working again (but in a different way). 

:bang

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop and thanks so much for making Soxtalk what it is today.  The site is only as good as the community and I personally think you, the members, are amazing.  :cheers

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 06:30 AM)

Because of that the front page and forum (which are both PHP based) were basically acting as if they couldn't recognize the code.  We had not seen the issue before, but we have been doing some other server stuff on the back end and by mid day we had isolated and solved the problem. 

I appreciate everyone's patience and apologize for the downtime.  We are always trying to do things to ensure that the downtime will decrease and I'd like to think that ever year we've improved on that and we'll be doing what we can to prepare the site for the new season and more site growth so that there won't be many slowdowns.

You guys who make this whole thing work are the amazing ones! 

You need to know that we appreciate all the work in making this site awesome - the recent changes are great!!! 

:gosoxretro:

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop and thanks so much for making Soxtalk what it is today.  The site is only as good as the community and I personally think you, the members, are amazing.  :cheers

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 06:30 AM)

I appreciate everyone's patience and apologize for the downtime.  We are always trying to do things to ensure that the downtime will decrease and I'd like to think that ever year we've improved on that and we'll be doing what we can to prepare the site for the new season and more site growth so that there won't be many slowdowns.

This was Gage's fault, again. I was doing futuresox stuff and when I went to move some things, the script that I ran to clean things up got a little too happy cleaning things and wouldn't let these pages run. So, since it's futuresox that caused all the problems, IT's GAGE'S FAULT! :P

Also wanted to be very clear - some of you thought that this issue was related to a virus that was attached to the site for a short time. The problems yesterday were NOT related in any way. It was local to this server and had nothing to do with anything else. If you all "downloaded" (which it wasn't going to let you anyway, but you all didn't know that) nothing was going to happen.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience and understanding!

Kap