Ozzie calls out Jenks on his weight

SSH2005

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
I read it, and I think I understood "he's not calling him out".  :huh

Yet, he did call him out... and (imo) in the process likely embarrassed him.

If the way he signals him in from the bullpen doesn't embarass him then what Ozzie said shouldn't embarass him, and if it does, tough s***. Jenks is being counted on heavily. It was very irresponsible of him to come to camp heavier than last year.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
If the way he signals him in from the bullpen doesn't embarass him then what Ozzie said shouldn't embarass him, and if it does, tough s***. Jenks is being counted on heavily. It was very irresponsible of him to come to camp heavier than last year.

Yes, it was.

And it was ignorant of his boss to talk s*** to the media.. IMO.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
I read it, and I think I understood "he's not calling him out".  :huh

Yet, he did call him out... and (imo) in the process likely embarrassed him.

Kind of like how Ozzie "called out" A-Rod and Nomar last week, but then later said that he was just joking?

This is another case of "Ozzie being Ozzie" and while I do not condone what he said, I don't think that his intention to hurt Jenks' feelings. JMO.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)

No kidding. I can't remember how many times I got "called out" by my high school football coach for missing a block. :rolly When you don't play by his rules, your coach will say something to you and whoever else is around to hear it. It's just part of sports.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
Kind of like how Ozzie "called out" A-Rod and Nomar last week, but then later said that he was just joking? 

This is another case of "Ozzie being Ozzie" and while I do not condone what he said, I don't think that his intention to hurt Jenks' feelings.  JMO.

No kidding.  I can't remember how many times I got "called out" by my high school football coach for missing a block.  :rolly  When you don't play by his rules, your coach will say something to you and whoever else is around to hear it.  It's just part of sports.

If it's a part of sports ... then leave it on the field or locker room, and not talk crap to the media.

It's not like he said Jenks is a fatass, and fatasses don't pitch on my team. He's obviously commenting/answering a question which he handled quite comically, with atleast 2 jokes embedded in the answer, while still getting the point across that, yes, Jenks's weight is a slight concern.

He's a big league ballplayer who plays for Ozzie Guillen. He knows Ozzie better than anyone on this board. I doubt Jenks took offense.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
It's not like he said Jenks is a fatass, and fatasses don't pitch on my team.  He's obviously commenting/answering a question which he handled quite comically, with atleast 2 jokes embedded in the answer, while still getting the point across that, yes, Jenks's weight is a slight concern. 

He's a big league ballplayer who plays for Ozzie Guillen.  He knows Ozzie better than anyone on this board.  I doubt Jenks took offense.

Exactly. I mean, all he has to do is look in the mirror.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jenks actually agrees. Take pride in your craft and come in in the shape you should be in.

How's Hermanson's health?

Considering it's a long season, I hope both get a lot of save opportunities.

I thought it worked out well last year. When Hermanson ran out of gas or got

hurt or whatever it was, Jenks came to the rescue.

Hermanson had a ton of saves during the meat of the season.

I like Hermy.

How's Hermanson's health?

Considering it's a long season, I hope both get a lot of save opportunities.

I thought it worked out well last year. When Hermanson ran out of gas or got

hurt or whatever it was, Jenks came to the rescue.

Hermanson had a ton of saves during the meat of the season.

I like Hermy.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Weight and see:  Just as people who gain weight have to get used to moving around with a different body type, White Sox reliever Dustin Hermanson is trying to find a groove as a pitcher who is 10 pounds lighter than at the end of the 2005 season.

"I really have to get used to my body again," said Hermanson, after giving up a home run in his one relief inning Friday. "Thank God I have Spring Training to do that."

Hermanson lost the weight as part of the plan to help relieve the back problem that limited his work down the stretch of the 2005 season. The one-time White Sox closer, who saved 34 games last year, claims he can pick up his baby out of her crib once again, so things definitely have changed for the better.

He also singled out his split-finger as a pitch that wouldn't work for him Friday. That particular pitch wasn't part of his repertoire until 2005, and is one that he doesn't even throw until arriving at Spring Training.

"With split-fingers, you kind of want to save those bullets," Hermanson said. "But my fastball is not on, so my split is off. First, you have to get your fastball, and then everything else comes off of that."

QUOTE(greg775 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
The DL would not be good.

I have a gut feeling (no pun intended) Jenks will not be a stud closer all season.

I think the only thing stopping Jenks from being unhittable is his head. But he was fine last year, and so I'm not worried. Cooper's great at helping the kooky pitchers get their stuff together.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
The DL would not be good.

I have a gut feeling (no pun intended) Jenks will not be a stud closer all season.

I'm convinced Kenny will have to bolster the pen at the trade deadline. There is also an outside shot we'll be in the market for a CFer. Vazquez better pitch great, otherwise this team will regret trading Chris Young.

White Sox' Jenks trying for more flexibility

BY MARK GONZALES

Chicago Tribune

TUCSON, Ariz. - Bobby Jenks still has four weeks to master control of a knee-buckling curveball to complement his 100-m.p.h. fastball.

The White Sox's medical staff is working overtime to help Jenks transform the muscle he added this winter into more flexibility.

"Last week was hell week for him," conditioning director Allen Thomas said outside the weight room, where Jenks was riding a stationary bicycle.

Thomas doesn't doubt Jenks worked out this winter. But weights weren't what the Sox had in mind for the 24-year-old Jenks, who is listed at 6 feet 3 inches and 270 pounds.

"I believe he hit the weights, but to me that wasn't our goal," Thomas said. "Actually, it was to trim down where he can have more full range of motion. And to be healthy, more than anything.

"It's a concern, regardless. All my pitchers work hard. Bobby Jenks works hard, and I never had to get him to do his workouts. But we're going to get after it."

Jenks has responded well. He pitched a scoreless inning Sunday against Arizona and hasn't allowed a run in two spring outings.

"Right now, this is the best I've ever felt in the spring," Jenks said. Thomas already is thinking of ways to improve the program next year.

"I'm working on next off-season spending time with these guys," said Thomas, referring to a possible cross-country trip from North Carolina to visit Jenks at his Seattle-area home. "(Jenks) could have benefited from me being there. But he's on a program now, he's getting after it."

Jenks was a midseason savior for the Sox in 2005 after Dustin Hermanson suffered lower back problems. He had a 2.75 ERA with 50 strikeouts in 391/3 innings after making the jump from Double-A Birmingham. Jenks went on to become the first rookie in major-league history to earn a save in a World Series-clinching game.

The Sox, who don't have a hard-throwing closer in their farm system, are concerned Jenks' weight could curtail his longevity.

"Of course his weight is an issue," Thomas said. "He's a large guy. Don't mistake that for him not being able to perform. He's a powerful guy. He runs. He's been doing my conditioning program.

"We both are in agreement on that. We're looking at it as a health issue. We get him healthy, the rest will take care of itself. His arm strength is right there on pace. We definitely want to get him down to where we think he needs to be. That's our job."

The Sox also have kept an eye on Jenks' diet. Jenks has complied by eating healthy food in the Sox's dining room.

"That's something ultimately he's going to have to control," Thomas said. "These guys have to take it upon themselves. If they need anything, help is here_nutritionists, doctors, myself. It's got to be his decision."

The Sox don't doubt Jenks' intentions.

"First and foremost, he's making an honest, valiant effort to keep the effort up until we finish," Thomas said. "And he'll definitely be ready to go on my end."

Jenks believes he is physically ready to handle the duties of a closer after being a starter in his first five professional seasons.

His experience as a starter has enabled him to throw more than his fastball. Jenks normally starts spring training by working on the control of his fastball. He moves on to his cut fastball and changeup.

Jenks has relied on his cut fastball as his second pitch, partly because he hasn't been able to throw his curve consistently for strikes.

"The curveball will come," he said. "That's more of a pitch that comes later in

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
I think the only thing stopping Jenks from being unhittable is his head. But he was fine last year, and so I'm not worried. Cooper's great at helping the kooky pitchers get their stuff together.

Jenks needs better command of his breaking ball (or a changeup that he can locate). One hundred mph fastballs at the letters aren't going to work for an entire season.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
Jenks needs better command of his breaking ball (or a changeup that he can locate).  One hundred mph fastballs at the letters aren't going to work for an entire season.

Personally, I think Jenks needs better command on his fastball. When he keeps it low in the zone, it's very hittable. He has no movement at all on his fastball. His curve doesn't always have to be over the plate. Rather, he got hit harder when it was over the plate than when it dove out of the zone. The ironic thing is that I have no concerns about Jenks this year. He might struggle some, but his stuff is still good enough where he'll be a strong bullpen pitcher. I wish I could say I was as confident in another Sox reliever.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
Personally, I think Jenks needs better command on his fastball.  When he keeps it low in the zone, it's very hittable.  He has no movement at all on his fastball.  His curve doesn't always have to be over the plate.  Rather, he got hit harder when it was over the plate than when it dove out of the zone.  The ironic thing is that I have no concerns about Jenks this year.  He might struggle some, but his stuff is still good enough where he'll be a strong bullpen pitcher.  I wish I could say I was as confident in another Sox reliever.

I have confidence in Cotts, who I think has turned a corner in his career. But outside of that, I agree that our bullpen isn't as strong as it should be.

I'm still not sold on Jenks. And that's not really his fault... I just want to see what he can do over the course of a full season. I do feel better about him going into this season than I did about Shingo going into '05, mostly because of his age.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
Jenks needs better command of his breaking ball (or a changeup that he can locate).  One hundred mph fastballs at the letters aren't going to work for an entire season.

I'm not advocating a 100-MPH fastball to be thrown at every pitch. But that's a hard pitch to hit. Jenks has a couple of other pitches he can throw for variety. I'm not worried, though, partly because Guillen isn't going to go to him in every single game. We all know how much Guillen likes to mix it up.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
I have confidence in Cotts, who I think has turned a corner in his career.  But outside of that, I agree that our bullpen isn't as strong as it should be.

I'm still not sold on Jenks.  And that's not really his fault... I just want to see what he can do over the course of a full season.  I do feel better about him going into this season than I did about Shingo going into '05, mostly because of his age.

I'm fond of Neal Cotts, too.