I'm finaly going to get to a game!

DePloderer

I've finaly convinced my other half that a 10 hour drive from Chicago to Virginia is a great way to see more of America than we usualy get when visiting my in-laws. So this coming August we're flying into Chicago, spending a couple of days there and then driving down to her family in Virginia.

So to all you regulars I need some help.

Where are the best seats in the stadium? I'll be raking my son (13 yrs) so please bare that in mind. When watching football over here there are certain areas of the ground that I wouldn't want to take him. Are American stadiums similar?

Where's the best place to buy tickets?

Best place for a beer? Can you drink inside the stadium?

Where's the best food located?

Which is the best fast food outside the stadium/

To sum this post up, where should we go, what should we do to experiance a typical White Sox ball game?

While your at it, any suggestions for a great family night out, restaurants, entertainment?(Bar for Dad?)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
I've finaly convinced my other half that a 10 hour drive from Chicago to Virginia is a great way to see more of America than we usualy get when visiting my in-laws. So this coming August we're flying into Chicago, spending a couple of days there and then driving down to her family in Virginia.

So to all you regulars I need some help.

Where are the best seats in the stadium? I'll be raking my son (13 yrs) so please bare that in mind. When watching football over here there are certain areas of the ground that I wouldn't want to take him. Are American stadiums similar?

To sum this post up, where should we go, what should we do to experiance a typical White Sox ball game?

While your at it, any suggestions for a great family night out, restaurants, entertainment?(Bar for Dad?)

Sweet!  Beer's of course allowed in the stadium, but bring the cash for that, it's expensive.

I'll let the other experts tell you the rest, but it's very cool that you'll get to see a game.

Kap

Not that you have THAT many questions or anything!?!? :P

Well lets see...

Unlike the football stadiums in the UK there is no real family un-friendly places to sit at a baseball game. The vast majority of the people are pretty respectful and don't yell obscenities constantly (not to say that their aren't a few bad apples). You will see kids scattered all around the park, so no worries there.

Good seats are going to be harder to come by, so you're probably going to have to buy second hand, as opposed to going directly to the White Sox. You can either check on here, as I'm sure some of us will have some extra tickets to some games. (me included) Let us know what dates you're going and someone I'm sure can accommodate Or you can go on www.stubhub.com to see what is available.

Beer is sold at the stadium so :cheers to you.

I'm at work so I'll write part two to you're questions later. And I'm figuring some of the other fine folks here at soxtalk will be more than willing to point you in the right direction!

:gosox2:

Where are the best seats in the stadium?
Obviously, the closer you get to the field, the better, but there really are no bad seats in the place. Try to stay somewhere in the lower deck, JMHO.

I'll be raking my son (13 yrs) so please bare that in mind.

That sounds painful. You must be quite the taskmaster

When watching football over here there are certain areas of the ground that I wouldn't want to take him. Are American stadiums similar?

Some are, some aren't. Most newer stadiums have pretty decent seats no matter where you are. Some of the older ones, like Wrigley, have obstructed view seats and some other areas where you really don't get a good view of the game

This season, online. Or you can always try the box office

Best place for a beer?

Jimbo's or Schaller's Pump, or even the parking lot where tailgating is encouraged!

Can you drink inside the stadium?

Yep

You're in Chicago, take your pick

Again, lots too choose from, some preferences would be of assistance

In my opinion, since you'll have the kid with you, get there early and have a little tailgate party, if you don't want to bring food to cook, there's a couple good hotdog places right on 35th st. Then, enter the stadium early and catch some BP, and let your son take advantage of the Fundamentals area above left field. After that, take a stroll all the way around the concourse and look at the field from different angles, hit a gift shop, etc.

Just too much to list. If you could give some ideas as to what you like or don't like, it would help narrow down the choices a bit.

You guys don't rake your sons then? It's the only way to keep them tidy.

As long as the food is hot and tastey I have no preference, fast food is fast food. I suppose I'd prefere something that might be typical to Chicago, not available the world over,deffinatly not Mac's or Subway.

As for the family night out, where do you fella's with families take them when eating out?

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
You guys don't rake your sons then? It's the only way to keep them tidy.

As long as the food is hot and tastey I have no preference, fast food is fast food. I suppose I'd prefere something that might be typical to Chicago, not available the world over,deffinatly not Mac's or Subway.

As for the family night out, where do you fella's with families take them when eating out?

First thing that popped into my head was Connie's on Archer. It's defintely Chicago, it's close to the park, it's family friendly, and pretty darned good eats.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
First thing that popped into my head was Connie's on Archer.  It's defintely Chicago, it's close to the park, it's family friendly, and pretty darned good eats.

Pizza joint...? Family vacation out to dinner and you want to send them to a pizza joint... :bang

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Pizza joint...? Family vacation out to dinner and you want to send them to a pizza joint...  :bang

Well they have to have pizza at least one time while they are in Chicago. :bang

But if I were to recommend a 'fast food' style place to eat with his family possibly Ed Debevic's or ESPN Zone. Maybe even the rainforest cafe :puke ?

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Well they have to have pizza at least one time while they are in Chicago.  :bang

But if I were to recommend a 'fast food' style place to eat with his family possibly Ed Debevic's or ESPN Zone. Maybe even the rainforest cafe  :puke ?

I'm thinking Tufano's for Italian or Gibson's for meat.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)

if you have a specific date in mind, you might be able to get someone on here to help you out with good seats. There are lots of games where season ticket holders don't go, and they want to get rid of. Really for someone coming that far to see a game, I'll bet someone would take care of you.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I'm thinking Tufano's for Italian or Gibson's for meat.

um...he did say 'fast food style'

But those are nice places sure. Actually I was just at Gibsons for the first time last month for a bachelor party. WOW...excellent food, but my wallet was crying the next day. :banghead

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Pizza joint...? Family vacation out to dinner and you want to send them to a pizza joint...  :bang

For one night? Sure. They have a 13 year old boy with them, and they're from England.

And Connie's isn't some shack with a couple tables thrown about. It's a nice casual place.

If he suggested he wanted to hit some high-priced, classy place, then obviously I'd have picked someplace else.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)
First thing that popped into my head was Connie's on Archer.  It's defintely Chicago, it's close to the park, it's family friendly, and pretty darned good eats.

Thats where I watched game 1 of the series. Solid food, good atmosphere. Usually a decent number of Sox fans there before the game as well.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
For one night?  Sure. They have a 13 year old boy with them, and they're from England. 

And Connie's isn't some shack with a couple tables thrown about.  It's a nice casual place.

If he suggested he wanted to hit some high-priced, classy place, then obviously I'd have picked someplace else.

13 year olds are allowed at Tufano's/

I didn't say Connie's was a shack.

I asked if cost was an issue... he has yet to respond. Pardon me...

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
13 year olds are allowed at Tufano's/

I didn't say Connie's was a shack.

I asked if cost was an issue... he has yet to respond. Pardon me...

Tufano's was really good. IIRC its priced pretty fair too for some good italian cuisine.

Calm down calm down, lets not fall out. I was thinking of fast food style before the game, pizza sounds great and something better for the evening before, price for this is not an issue, we'll be on holiday after all. I can't think of any style of cuisine we don't enjoy, I was hoping for something away from the tourist trail.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
Calm down calm down, lets not fall out. I was thinking of fast food style before the game, pizza sounds great and something better for the evening before, price for this is not an issue, we'll be on holiday after all. I can't think of any style of cuisine we don't enjoy, I was hoping for something away from the tourist trail.

Get this man an Italian beef sandwich before he leaves Chitown!!!

No. Baseball is as kid friendly entertainment as you will find.

Well, for the first time ever, good tickets are going to be hard to get for any game. Your best bet is stubhub.com or I'm sure a poster on here has some extra that he/she is willing to give up for you.

The Bullpen bar would be my guess, although I'm defiantly not an expert on the topic.

THE ROAST BEEF SANDWHICHES BY THE RIGHTFIELD FOUL POLE!!! You must get these. They are ridiculously good. The worst part about the months between October and April is not being able to order these.

Chicago is known for it's pizza, so any thing like that will do.

1. Get Scorecards

2. Make a trip out to the outfield shower. A Comiskey Park classic.

3. The leftfield fan deck they put in last year is pretty cool. I'd check that out.

4. I strongly suggest getter lower deck seats. Much better than the upper deck, IMO.

5. Don't be afraid to quit watching the game for a few innings and take atleast 1 full circle around the park to get a full experience. It's not like other sports in which you have to stay in your seat the entire time. I've been to hundreds of Sox game, but I still make sure to do this everytime I go.

Also, are you aiming at a specific date? If possible, go watch the Yankees play us. The other teams(KC, TB, DET) we have at home in August aren't particulary great. Minnesota wouldn't be a bad series to attend either.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
We may have to hold a mini soxtalk getogether in tribute to our british sig wizard's first sox game  :cheers

I was just thinking that. I'm doubting he'll be bringing a cooler full of beer and food and a grill with him...