I'm finaly going to get to a game!

DePloderer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
Calm down calm down, lets not fall out. I was thinking of fast food style before the game, pizza sounds great and something better for the evening before, price for this is not an issue, we'll be on holiday after all. I can't think of any style of cuisine we don't enjoy, I was hoping for something away from the tourist trail.

For Louisiana Cajun food, try Redfish on State Street.

Just off the Magnificent Mile ( the prime touristy shopping area ).

It is EXCELLENT.

It's also one block away from Harry Caray's Restaurant - but don't let THAT stop you.

:D

Great news, DePlod! To reiterate what others have said, There is no bad place for kids in the park; baseball strives to be fan-friendly, and the visiting fans don't travel as much as they do in England, so the possibilities for aggro are much fewer.

I'm not entirely certain, but I'm reasonably certain that, for a weekend game at least, someone from here will be tailgating pre-game. Yhat's a lot of fun, and you should do it if at all possible.

My own humble suggestion for an Italian Beef sandwich (which you must have when in Chicago) is Carm's in Hillside. Since I've been away from Chicago for a while, one of the denizens of the western suburbs would be able to help you with directions -- all I can remember is that it's on Wolf Road and it's very tasty.

As far as your drive east is concerned: the trip through Ohio is motononous, so try to break it up however possible. I've made that drive many times, and I cannot stand Ohio.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
Great news, DePlod!  To reiterate what others have said, There is no bad place for kids in the park; baseball strives to be fan-friendly, and the visiting fans don't travel as much as they do in England, so the possibilities for aggro are much fewer.

I'm not entirely certain, but I'm reasonably certain that, for a weekend game at least, someone from here will be tailgating pre-game.  Yhat's a lot of fun, and you should do it if at all possible.

My own humble suggestion for an Italian Beef sandwich (which you must have when in Chicago) is Carm's in Hillside.  Since I've been away from Chicago for a while, one of the denizens of the western suburbs would be able to help you with directions -- all I can remember is that it's on Wolf Road and it's very tasty.

As far as your drive east is concerned: the trip through Ohio is motononous, so try to break it up however possible.  I've made that drive many times, and I cannot stand Ohio.

So basically you're telling him that he better hit up Cedar Point or King's Island?

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Pizza joint...? Family vacation out to dinner and you want to send them to a pizza joint...  :bang

Why not?

Chicago-style pizza would be a must, in my opinion, especially with a 13-year-old.

I'd suggest Home Run Inn on 31st.

This thread is kinda funny...you know how much of 'information overload' this must be for someone who has never been to chicago?

Eat here, u have to eat this, go there, do this, we'll tailgate, sit in the lower deck, blah blah blah. hehe..well at least we all mean well :D

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
This thread is kinda funny...you know how much of 'information overload' this must be for someone who has never been to chicago?

Eat here, u have to eat this, go there, do this, we'll tailgate, sit in the lower deck, blah blah blah.  hehe..well at least we all mean well  :D

The more info the better, I've already googled Steff's pizza place, looks good.

It looks like it'll be the Detroit game on Saturday. i'm looking on the sox site and can still get tickets for BOX149 row23 Lower Box Left Field Lower Level . Am I being stupid thinking I can get seats nearer the diamond.

BTW I can't believe how cheap these tickets are compared with UK sports tickets.

Edited by DePloderer

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
Why not?

Chicago-style pizza would be a must, in my opinion, especially with a 13-year-old.

I'd suggest Home Run Inn on 31st.

If I'm going on vacation I'm not having Pizza. Maybe you are, and maybe he will.. but I'm not, so I gave my suggestion. :P

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)

It looks like it'll be the Detroit game on Saturday. i'm looking on the sox site and can still get tickets for BOX149 row23  Lower Box Left Field Lower Level . Am I being stupid thinking I can get seats nearer the diamond.

BTW I can't believe how cheep these tickets are compared with UK sports tickets.

162 games (81 home)...more supply, less demand. One day I plan on heading over to England for a few premier league games...I'll probably be bugging you with similar questions.

And those are pretty good seats by the way. You might as well pull the trigger while you can :headbang

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)

It looks like it'll be the Detroit game on Saturday. i'm looking on the sox site and can still get tickets for BOX149 row23  Lower Box Left Field Lower Level . Am I being stupid thinking I can get seats nearer the diamond.

BTW I can't believe how cheap these tickets are compared with UK sports tickets.

Baseball tickets are generally the least expensive of the professional leagues in the US. Since it's Detroit, and the Sox play them so often, you might be able to do better, but, as noted, those seats are pretty good.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
So basically you're telling him that he better hit up Cedar Point or King's Island?

Cedar Point or even the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, actually. Or even just break up the drive by spending the night in Ohio.

Actually, I guess starting in Chicago, Ohio's not as bad. I'm so used to starting in Minneapolis that the extra six-plus hours cloud my thinking.

How long are you going to be in Chicago, DePlod?

Edited due to moronic spelling.

Edited by Mplssoxfan

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
If you do, get tickets ASAP as they are going INCREDIBLY fast.

Unfortunatly I snoozed.

Lost those tickets but managed to get 2 tickets for Sat Aug 12, Box 542 row 13. So I guess I'll be there.

Question to all season ticket holders. Would anybody agree to swap their better seats for these. Obviously I'd be happy to pay the difference.

Edited by DePloderer

DePolderer, this might be unpopular advice on this board, but spend at least one day on the north side of town. Old Town, Lincoln Park, Buck Town, Wicker Park and Andersonville are all packed with bars and REALLY good restaurants. Unfortunately, those areas are also packed with tons of transplants and sometimes a few tourists. But they are still the most progressive and eclectic areas in town.

Spend a brief amount of time downtown because it is THE biggest tourist trap. Do a two hour trolley tour early in the day, snap your pictures and get the hell out of there. Unless of course you like the Hard Rock Cafe type of places.

Obviously, having a kid with you will limit the kind of nighttime activities you guys can get into. Sure you can have a beer at dinner, but he won't be able to get into bars.

These guys, all have you nicely covered for game info and food options, Plod. and it's great that you are getting in for a game.

For good beer bar/resturaunts, if you have the time I'd check out the Clyburn Goose Island brewpub. They usually even have one of other of their ales on cask and handpull to make you feel at home. It's a resuraunt so II don't think bringing your son in before 10pm or so would be an issue (but good if a local can confirm).

If you take Mplssox' advice about a Cleveland stop for the R&R HOF, you also have an opportunity to try another really good midwest brewpub, Great Lakes Brewing Co. It's just down the road from Jacob's Field where the Indians play, and their beer and food are usually quite good. Get the walleye if you are a fish person.

I also agree with Blancas that if you had the time a northside excursion is good to get a feel forthe cultural diversity of the city. And also agree on looking into Tut at the Field if you are a museum family. The Shedd Aquarium ande the Adler Planetarium are also right there on the lakefront "museum triangle" at the south end of Grant Park. The Art Instittute is at the other end of the park as well so you could easily spend a day right there if you had tthe time or inclination.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

Thanks to all who have offered advice, I'll be printing it off to use nearer the time.

I do however have a further question; it seems my lovely wife isn't all that keen on the 10 hour drive, so does anyone know if there are any train services between Chicago and the Bristol end of Virginia, failing that Washington DC?

I'll post my request for swapping tickets in the Ticket Exchange.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
Thanks to all who have offered advice, I'll be printing it off to use nearer the time.

I do however have a further question; it seems my lovely wife isn't all that keen on the 10 hour drive, so does anyone know if there are any train services between Chicago and the Bristol end of Virginia, failing that Washington DC?

I'll post my request for swapping tickets in the Ticket Exchange.

Amtrak Captiol Limited

D.C to Chicago.

• 4 months later...

I need some more advice guys. How long do you think it'll take me to drive from O'Hare into town on a the Saturday morning. I'm planning on leaving the hotel, picking a hire car up from O'Hare, driving back to the hotel and then getting to the game ( now 12.20 pm ) via the train. As I had hoped to meet some of you fellas before the game, do you think I'll have time?

Or would I be better booking my pick up time for early evening?

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
I need some more advice guys. How long do you think it'll take me to drive from O'Hare into town on a the Saturday morning. I'm planning on leaving the hotel, picking a hire car up from O'Hare, driving back to the hotel and then getting to the game ( now 12.20 pm ) via the train. As I had hoped to meet some of you fellas before the game, do you think I'll have time?

I'm confused... :huh:

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)

If you're staying at one of the O'Hare hotels, just blue line it to the Loop, then transfer there. Somebody at the Hotel should be able to help you figure the logistics of it.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
If you're staying at one of the O'Hare hotels, just blue line it to the Loop, then transfer there. Somebody at the Hotel should be able to help you figure the logistics of it.

We're staying at the Palmer House in town.