Kerry Wood to have surgery on right knee

SSH2005

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2352970

Cubs RHP Wood to have surgery on right knee

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Chicago Cubs pitcher Kerry Wood will have minor arthroscopic surgery on his right knee next week, general manager Jim Hendry said Friday.

Wood's surgery will take place Tuesday in Los Angeles.

The 28-year-old Wood had arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder Aug. 31 and was not expected to be ready for the start of this season. He's thrown off the mound a couple of times in spring training, testing his shoulder.

An All-Star in 2003, Wood was 3-4 with a 4.23 ERA in 21 games last year. He was slowed by injuries all season, missing about three months while going on the disabled list three times.

LOL, what a bum.

HA! HA! HA!

Everytime Wood pokes his head out of the dugout anytime, anywhere, the crowd should be chanting. "OVERRATED, OVERRATED, OVERRATED,"

I am so sick of hearing about this guy's potential.

He is the Camaro I had in high school. The three times it actually ran properly, it was awesome, but it was constantly in repairs. Finally, I had to call Victory Auto Wreckers and I was never happier than when that pile of bolts was towed off my driveway.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Wood to have knee surgery

By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter

March 3, 2006, 2:18 PM CST

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Kerry Wood will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Tuesday to repair damage to a torn medial meniscus, the Cubs announced Friday.

General manager Jim Hendry called it a "minor" setback for the injury-plagued right-hander who currently is rehabbing his right shoulder after arthroscopic surgery last August. Though no timetable was given for his return, Wood was expected to be back from the shoulder problem in late April.

"I'm not expecting to miss more than a couple weeks," Wood said.

Wood came to the Cubs about three days ago and told trainer Mark O'Neal he was feeling discomfort in the knee. Wood said an MRI revealed the tear, and he will travel to Los Angeles to have surgery by Dr. Lewis Yocum. Wood was still able to throw a bullpen session on Friday and will have another bullpen session on Monday, the day before the surgery.

"It doesn't bother him at all to pitch," Hendry said. "In all honesty, he did not want to have the procedure. He felt like as long as it didn't hurt to pitch, he wanted to continue because his arm is feeling so well. After I talked to the doctors, we felt it was best to do it now. We'd hate to see him in the middle of the summer going along well, from normal activity running the bases, trip over the bag, field bunts, that it might get to the point where it would be a problem.

"I don't want that to happen, where he changes his delivery."

Wood was optimistic that the surgery won't be a major setback.

"They're not fixing anything, they're taking a piece out," Wood said. "We're not in danger here."

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
HA! HA! HA!

Everytime Wood pokes his head out of the dugout anytime, anywhere, the crowd should be chanting. "OVERRATED, OVERRATED, OVERRATED,"

I am so sick of hearing about this guy's potential.

He is the Camaro I had in high school. The three times it actually ran properly, it was awesome, but it was constantly in repairs. Finally, I had to call Victory Auto Wreckers and I was never happier than when that pile of bolts was towed off my driveway.

haha yeah, when the cubs were playin the sox at the cell last year i was all over him during BP. He had just finally rejoined the team and was shaggin fly balls, and i asked him "shouldnt you be shagging simulated batting practice" ....he just pointed me and went about his business....seriuosly this guys a joke

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Dude, they're still saying that he'll be ready in a couple weeks.  They leak in stages.  The worse the news is, the longer it'll take for it to come out.

good pickup, this is one of the ways the Cubs spin their injuries. he'll be ready to do what in a couple of weeks? That is the key question. The optomistic Cub fans will think he'll be ready to pitch in a couple of weeks, but i think they mean he'll be ready in a couple of weeks to resume working out...

i was working all day and jumped online to chicagosports.com, saw this headline and just snickered. I'm not one to enjoy other people getting injured, but this is becoming a huge joke with this guy. It's not affecting his pitching??? I don't believe that, does his leg magically hover when he drives off it? Imagine if they ever game out with Simulated MLB for X-Box, Wood would have to get the cover.

good pickup, this is one of the ways the Cubs spin their injuries. he'll be ready to do what in a couple of weeks? That is the key question. The optomistic Cub fans will think he'll be ready to pitch in a couple of weeks, but i think they mean he'll be ready in a couple of weeks to resume working out...

this is becoming a huge joke with this guy.

Even when he does come back, he'd better be careful and stay as far away from the stands as possible. If he gets too close, he might get hit with some cotton candy from some kid, and be out another 12 weeks with another injury. Good thing he's not an animal in the zoo! At feeding time, he'd really be in trouble if someone hit him by tossing a marshmallow at him!

Dude, they're still saying that he'll be ready in a couple weeks.  They leak in stages.  The worse the news is, the longer it'll take for it to come out.

Like Prior not throwing off a mound b/c he in the emergancy room in December and was sick for 2 weeks. I bet his elbow is severly damaged, and he can't pitch again and the Cubs are just trying to by themselves some time before they have to come clean.

I was listening to baseball 360 this morning, and Cubs fans are pissed about Wood and they are SO sure that Prior is also hurt. Bruce was having a tough time trying to spin it, he was talking about how the Cubs were great last year with pitchers and revealing their injuries, but 2 years ago it was a disaster.

Link

The Chicago Cubs insist pitcher Kerry Wood is not risking more damage to his right knee by throwing off the mound Monday -- one day before he is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery.

"His doctor said it would be better if he continued to throw until the surgery to keep his arm strength going," manager Dusty Baker said Saturday.