Second lefty update

SSH2005

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
See also Suzuki, Ichiro; Matsui, Hideki; Iguchi, Tadahito

There's a huge difference between Japanese pitchers and Japanese hitters. Japanese hitters frequently use "junk" or gimmick pitches to get hitters out. It's a lot easier to adjust to that than a guy throwing 98 mph.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Crede has this season and next under White Sox control I believe. I don't think there is a chance in hell KW acquired Cintron in anticipation of Crede's departure. Perhaps as insurance for his back, I'll give you that.

Crede is with the White Sox until the end of 2008 unless he's traded. 2 more years of arbitration eligibility.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
Crede is with the White Sox until the end of 2008 unless he's traded.  2 more years of arbitration eligibility.

I thought that he had an option for '07 and that was it? Apparently I was wrong.

For those who think that we need another middle reliever RIGHT NOW, the Cintron signing seems to suggest that KW isn't done wheeling and dealing just yet. It may happen sooner than you think.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
I just hope everyone who says the bullpen is fine as currently constructed, doesn't start complaining if it doesn't work out. I will be the first one to say I was wrong if the bullpen is strong this year.

I think the bullpen will probably be ok, not exceptional...but we won't know until we get into the season. If it turns out we have holes...hopefully we can fill them with a trade. Usually at least a couple of pitchers will move around at trade time.

And anyway...usually the bullpen winds up being as good or as bad as your last guy. If Bobby Jenks has a real good year...it will make problems in the setup guys look a lot less important. Think about how bad the Yankee bullpen would have been these last few years without Rivera, or how bad the Braves bullpen looked last year because they couldn't close, or how much better the Cubs bullpen looked last year when Dempster finally became their closer. That role gets filled, and it makes everything else look better.

And Maybe Urbina will be out of jail by then.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
I thought that he had an option for '07 and that was it?  Apparently I was wrong.

For those who think that we need another middle reliever RIGHT NOW, the Cintron signing seems to suggest that KW isn't done wheeling and dealing just yet.  It may happen sooner than you think.

Nope. Crede has gone through 1 of 3 arbitration eligible years. He will be first eligible for FA after 2008. He signed a 1 year deal this year to avoid arbitration. Even if he signs another 1 year deal next offseason, we will still have the rights to him in 2008.

In other words, Fields has 3 years to be fully ready to replace him.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
I thought that he had an option for '07 and that was it?  Apparently I was wrong.

For those who think that we need another middle reliever RIGHT NOW, the Cintron signing seems to suggest that KW isn't done wheeling and dealing just yet.  It may happen sooner than you think.

I hope you're right. I'm 100% sure he's looking around.

We've had two straight seasons where our closer (Shingo/Hermanson) pitched out of their minds. Both of them were amazing during their closer stretch during their particular season, and I think we took them for granted. I'm confident Jenks will do well, and I don't anticipate Koch Jr.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
Nope.  Crede has gone through 1 of 3 arbitration eligible years.  He will be first eligible for FA after 2008.  He signed a 1 year deal this year to avoid arbitration.  Even if he signs another 1 year deal next offseason, we will still have the rights to him in 2008.

In other words, Fields has 3 years to be fully ready to replace him.

Of course, JR and KW might not like what the arbitrator has to say next year and decide to trade him. I don't see any chance in hell of us re-signing him over the long term with Boras negotiating his deals.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
We've had two straight seasons where our closer (Shingo/Hermanson) pitched out of their minds.  Both of them were amazing during their closer stretch during their particular season, and I think we took them for granted.  I'm confident Jenks will do well, and I don't anticipate Koch Jr.

If Jenks somehow has his fastball drop 10 mph like the closer who will not be named who came here along with Neal (Thank you for that throw in KW)...then he'll be in deep trouble.

Jenks is going to be the key to this bullpen. The closer almost always is. I think I like the idea of having a guy who can throw 100 be the guy we need to succeed the most.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
We've had two straight seasons where our closer (Shingo/Hermanson) pitched out of their minds.  Both of them were amazing during their closer stretch during their particular season, and I think we took them for granted.  I'm confident Jenks will do well, and I don't anticipate Koch Jr.

Jenks would have to lose about 10mph off his fastball to be Koch the sequel.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
Of course, JR and KW might not like what the arbitrator has to say next year and decide to trade him.  I don't see any chance in hell of us re-signing him over the long term with Boras negotiating his deals.

On that we agree...which is why we have a 3rd baseman who's been raking in the spring about to hit AAA. They drafted Fields because of Boras...on that I don't think there's any doubt. The only question looks to be when they'll decide Fields is ready...and if they'll move Crede to make room for him if he is ready.

I seriously would't be surprised if we see a couple of the 05 guys dealt at the end of this year if guys like Sweeney, Owens, and Fields have great years in AAA.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Jenks is going to be the key to this bullpen.  The closer almost always is.  I think I like the idea of having a guy who can throw 100 be the guy we need to succeed the most.

Funny how much we agree outside of politics...

Even if Jenks turns out to be a bust, we have mucho starting pitching available for a trade. Contreras-for-Lidge would be a possibility.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
Funny how much we agree outside of politics...

Even if Jenks turns out to be a bust, we have mucho starting pitching available for a trade.  Contreras-for-Lidge would be a possibility.

If we haven't traded Jose yet...we're not going to. Especially not if he keeps up the way he's pitching right now into the first half of the season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
If we haven't traded Jose yet...we're not going to.  Especially not if he keeps up the way he's pitching right now into the first half of the season.

I agree. If the spring has been any indication, Jose is primed for a 20 win season. He looks outstanding so far. I don't think he's walked one batter all spring.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
I've heard rumors of this from more than one source.

Well, I'm not quoting any rumors...just my best guess about how you could go from a 98 mph fastball to an 88 mph fastball in 1 year conveniently at the same time as the testing starts. Especially when you were throwing the 98 in Oakland. Hell, after watching Oakland's guys for a few years all have mysterious drops in performance, I was worried when we signed Dye last year. Thank God he turned out all right.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
I agree.  If the spring has been any indication,  Jose is primed for a 20 win season.  He looks outstanding so far.  I don't think he's walked one batter all spring.

If he doesn't walk people, he's unbeatable. That was the rule all year last year, with only 1 exception.

By the way, we want to talk something that could balance out a weaker year from the bullpen...how about a stronger 1st half from Jose now that he seems to just be throwing strikes? That could be 5-7 more wins right there.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
If he doesn't walk people, he's unbeatable.  That was the rule all year last year, with only 1 exception.

By the way, we want to talk something that could balance out a weaker year from the bullpen...how about a stronger 1st half from Jose now that he seems to just be throwing strikes?  That could be 5-7 more wins right there.

Not to mention the 75-90 extra innings will get from Vazquez compared to what Duque gave us.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
This team doesnt need a Scot Sheilds or Brad Lidge. I dont think anyone has said that. The eternal optimists that think everything is perfect want to believe that is what were talking about, but thats just not the case.

All Kenny needs to do is go out and find a guy that has put up a 3.20-3.80 ERA in the pen the last few years. There are plenty of guys out there that can do that, and some on REALLY bad teams...

I know of a guy that fits your description to a tee. And he's a lefty. Damaso Marte.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)
I know of a guy that fits your description to a tee.  And he's a lefty.  Damaso Marte.

I don't think he can pitch another inning in a White Sox uniform without getting booed.