Second lefty update

SSH2005

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lopez looking really good (4:0 K:BB Ratio). Now we will have to see if Munoz, Reynoso, and Tucker can keep pace. Tucker also threw a scoreless inning.

IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA WHIP

J Lopez 3 1/3 4 0 0 0 4 0 0.00 1.20

A Munoz 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 0.00 0.00

P Reynoso 2 1 0 0 2 1 0 0.00 1.50

R Tucker 3 3 1 1 1 2 0 3.00 1.33

S Randolph 2 3 4 4 4 1 1 18.00 3.50

C Bentz 2 1/3 3 5 5 5 1 1 19.29 3.43

C Malone (L,0-1) 1 2 3 3 3 2 0 27.00 5.00

A Almanza (L,0-2) 1 1/3 5 5 5 0 1 0 33.75 3.75

Yeah it's definitely a 4 man race now, although it's easy to say Tucker and Bentz are probably outsiders at this point.

Munoz needs to come out with a good outing to put the pressure back on Lopez.

After yesterday's outing, it is hard to imagine Lopez not making the roster, but I guess you never know. One of the articles said that Tracey and Haeger were still in the mix, but Lopez has looked good in every outing:

IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA WHIP

J Lopez 5 4 0 0 0 5 0 0.00 0.80

P Reynoso 2 1 0 0 2 1 0 0.00 1.50

C Haeger 3 6 8 1 2 3 0 3.00 2.66

S Tracey 3 8 3 3 2 2 0 9.00 3.33

A Almanza (L,0-2) 2 1/3 6 5 5 1 1 0 19.29 3.00

Hawk said it best, in spring training, things can change in a hurry. Lopez has done all he can possibly do to this point. He's gotta keep it going, though. I'm not saying he has to have an era of 0.00 for the spring. But it's gonna take more than 5 good innings to assure him of a spot on this team.

There's a reason that Lopez is getting more innings than the other candidates. They are more interested in seeing what he can do than the others. Kenny originally wanted Mike Myers as our second lefty but he ended up signing with the Yankees so KW goes out and finds another sidearmer. Makes sense I guess.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:31 AM)
There's a reason that Lopez is getting more innings than the other candidates.  They are more interested in seeing what he can do than the others.  Kenny originally wanted Mike Myers as our second lefty but he ended up signing with the Yankees so KW goes out and finds another sidearmer.  Makes sense I guess.

I actually like the idea of a pitcher with a different style. It gives Ozzie more options because I am sure some guys have a harder time hitting someone with that type of pitch angle.

I am just wondering if the Sox will go back to the 12 pitcher scenario after the acquisition of Cintron?

Edited by RME JICO

I actually like the idea of a pitcher with a different style.  It gives Ozzie more options because I am sure some guys have a harder time hitting someone with that type of pitch angle. 

I am just wondering if the Sox will go back to the 12 pitcher scenario after the acquisition of Cintron?

If Lopez is on the team, I hope Ozzie uses him strictly as a LOOGY. He is getting righties out in ST but they have murdered him in his career. Mike Myers is the same way -- he dominates lefties but righties own him. The deceptiveness of a lefty submariner/sidearmer obviously only works against lefties.

According to KW, the Sox are going with 11 pitchers. So with Lopez apparently aboard, it looks like the last two roster spots are between Borchard, Gload, and Ozuna. Or if you think that Ozuna has already made the team, there is one open spot for Borchard or Gload to fight for.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:54 AM)
If Lopez is on the team, I hope Ozzie uses him strictly as a LOOGY.  He is getting righties out in ST but they have murdered him in his career.  Mike Myers is the same way -- he dominates lefties but righties own him.  The deceptiveness of a lefty submariner/sidearmer obviously only works against lefties.

According to KW, the Sox are going with 11 pitchers.  So with Lopez apparently aboard, it looks like the last two roster spots are between Borchard, Gload, and Ozuna.  Or if you think that Ozuna has already made the team, there is one open spot for Borchard or Gload to fight for.

This quote is what got me thinking about the 12 pitchers, especially after adding Cintron:

"The only caveat is if someone is hurting in the bullpen in the end and not hurting enough to be put on the disabled list," said Williams of a possible cause for a move from 11 to 12 pitchers. "Then, you are forced to carry the extra guy."

So if Hermanson is not 100% or if one of the Starting pitchers needs some time off after the WBC and McCarthy moves up to the rotation, it would seem like a better idea to carry 12 pitchers instead of 5 bench players.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:35 AM)
This quote is what got me thinking about the 12 pitchers, especially after adding Cintron:

So if Hermanson is not 100% or if one of the Starting pitchers needs some time off after the WBC and McCarthy moves up to the rotation, it would seem like a better idea to carry 12 pitchers instead of 5 bench players.

If either of those scenarios exist, that's exactly what they'll do. They will certainly do all they can to protect that pitching staff.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
Almanza and Reynoso were outstanding today.  If they can build on today,  Lopez might not be as much of a lock as we think he is.  Almanza in particular was impressive.  He's got great stuff.  His problem is simply control.

If those guys don't make the big league team, do they go to AAA or do they go back onto the open market?

I'm pretty sure Reynoso would go back to the minors.  I'm not sure about Almanza.  SSH would probably know.  He's the Bruce Levine of Soxtalk.

Thanks for calling me a Cubs-loving idiot. :finger ;)

Reynoso is a Sox prospect. I guess when he doesn't end up making the team, they will just assign him to AA or AAA. Almanza was signed to a minor league deal so unless he has an out clause in his contract in case he doesn't make the opening day roster, I guess they will send him to AAA.

Edited by SSH2005

KW says that he most likely won't be trading for another reliever...

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=164410

Williams said trading for a more established reliever is highly unlikely.

“Out of the 30 teams in major-league baseball, all 30 of them are looking for relief help,’’ Williams said. “And all 30, plus the Japanese, are looking for left-handed relief help. So we have to be satisfied with what we have and try to choose the best candidates for the job.’’

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
I see Lopez got roughed up.  I'm not worried about this performance.  Now let's see how he responds his next time out.  That will tell a lot.

His performance is just a sign of things to come. He blows chunks just like all the other lefty candidates.