Sox @ Diamondbacks 2:05pm

iWiN4PreP

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
Rowand was thought of as a corner outfielder when he was coming up with the Sox. They didn't feel that he had the chops to cut it in CF.

Jeremy Reed's ceiling was supposed to be Mark Kotsay in CF, which is pretty good, but he's not a rangy guy. He's a guy, like Rowand, who gets good reads on balls, but has a world class arm. The Sox liked Anderson's D better than that of Reed.

Anderson is better than Rowand, defensively, at the same stage of development. Whether he continues to grow like Rowand did remains to be seen, but he has the tools to be a better defeder.

That's Logic 101, kids.

Well done, chort.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
That's Logic 101, kids.

Well done, chort.

Then you get the guys at Baseball prospectus who come up with crap like this

2006 Rookies: 2003 first-round pick Brian Anderson is lined up to take over center field from the departed Aaron Rowand, and while he’s nowhere near the defensive whiz that Rowand is, he should be an immediate doppelganger of Rowand at the plate, and PECOTA agrees. If for some reason he fails, Jerry Owens could be waiting in the wings.

Now where did BP get their goofy thoughts from? Some of their research is ok, and some of their research is a million miles off. Have they ever seen BA play defense, or are they just using some abacus to tell them how BA plays.

Edited by southsideirish71

Tracey k's Carlos Quentin to end the inning.  Not a good performance at all.  The guy just can't throw strikes.

At least most of these pitchers aren't going to make the roster. I'm more frustrated with how bad our hitters look.

As I type this... 3 pitches, 2 outs.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
At least most of these pitchers aren't going to make the roster.  I'm more frustrated with how bad our hitters look.

As I type this...  3 pitches, 2 outs.

Again, we all know that the results don't matter right now. However, there's a lot to say for the confidence of the hitters. I don't care if you're 5 yrs old, 20, or Julio Franco.....if you struggle at the plate, your confidence gets down, and you start to press.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
Then you get the guys at Baseball prospectus who come up with crap like this

2006 Rookies: 2003 first-round pick Brian Anderson is lined up to take over center field from the departed Aaron Rowand, and while he’s nowhere near the defensive whiz that Rowand is, he should be an immediate doppelganger of Rowand at the plate, and PECOTA agrees. If for some reason he fails, Jerry Owens could be waiting in the wings.

Now where did BP get their goofy thoughts from?  Some of their research is ok, and some of their research is a million miles off.  Have they ever seen BA play defense, or are they just using some abacus to tell them how BA plays.

In defense of that author, while Anderson may, in fact, be a near clone--or ghostly reminder, whichever you prefer :rolly --of Rowand at the plate, he does project to be a defensive downgrade in the immediate future.

However, your point remains.

Again, we all know that the results don't matter right now.  However, there's a lot to say for the confidence of the hitters.  I don't care if you're 5 yrs old, 20, or Julio Franco.....if you struggle at the plate, your confidence gets down, and you start to press.

I just hope they improve toward the end of ST. I know these games mean nothing but I'd like to see a few more hits from our guys.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Think he said anything about a 2 run bomb?

I bet you that Ozzie let out a F bomb in the dugout after watching that, even if this is ST.

We won the B game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

of course its against our minor leaguers. But a win is a win.