Prior's debut still on hold

SSH2005

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true

Prior's debut still on hold

Says Rothschild: Maybe he's not a spring-training guy

By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter

March 4, 2006, 10:39 PM CST

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz.—Mark Prior's Cactus League debut remains on hold while the Cubs continue to monitor his arm strength.

Prior's first start has been delayed until next weekend at the earliest, as he continues a gradual throwing program to get ready for the regular season. News of Kerry Wood's knee injury, combined with Prior's absence from spring games, makes some fans skeptical about Prior's health status.

"The last couple of years he hadn't pitched in spring training [much], but you've got to remember last year he didn't pitch much and only missed one [regular-season] start until he got hit with the line drive," pitching coach Larry Rothschild said.

"Maybe he's not a spring-training guy. You hate to think about it that way, but ... I can understand [the skepticism]. There's no question. It will ease everybody's minds once he gets on the mound, gets into action and gets the arm strength where it should be."

Rothschild said Prior's tentative schedule would include a heavy bullpen session Sunday, light throwing on Monday and another bullpen session on Tuesday. He'll likely face hitters for the first time Thursday.

LOL, this is getting truly pathetic. I seem to recall quite a few posters here predicting that this would happen. :D

Next up -- the Tribune tries to convince Cubs fans everywhere that the White Sox didn't actually win the World Series last season. :P

Edited by SSH2005

what the hell does Mark Prior do in the off-season? Does the guy work out at all or does he just trust that his guns will be polished enough for the gun show when it comes around? If this happens every year, the Cubs need to get his ass on some kind of program, because Prior sets them back every year. "Prior isnt a Spring Training guy", give me a f***ing break. How about Prior isnt a healthy guy.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
This is beyond ridiculous.

The Cubs have such a reputation for lying about injuries, you can't believe a single word they say.

I can see it now:

Mark Prior's Right Arm Found Behind A Cactus

"We Expect Him To Miss Maybe One Start" - Baker

LOOOOOOOOOl.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
what the hell does Mark Prior do in the off-season?  Does the guy work out at all or does he just trust that his guns will be polished enough for the gun show when it comes around?  If this happens every year, the Cubs need to get his ass on some kind of program, because Prior sets them back every year.  "Prior isnt a Spring Training guy", give me a f***ing break.  How about Prior isnt a healthy guy.

Maybe Prior has a brother in Venezuela? :huh

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
I'm amazed that a guy who was billed as having "perfect" mechanics has had so much trouble staying healthy.  Maybe Black Jack was right when he speculated that Prior was a steroid user.  http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/prin...d01/c675375.jsp  Who knows?

I believe it.

Black Jack belongs in the Hall. I know that's not the subject of this thread, but I was looking it up and saw he was rejected by "the Voters" of the Hall and it really peeled my coconut.

Personally I don't think it's a major deal until he either stops working out all together or if he's still not pitching off the mound in late March. With his injury history I don't see the point in having him pitch like 30 innings in Spring Training. You know what he can do when he is healthy and you know that he has a rotation spot, so it's basically just an added injury risk at this point. So he gets about 6 fewer innings of work because of this, big deal.

It's a little asanine to worry about Cubs' injuries until Opening Day. You know that their reports are never accurate and that all of their players always have some kind of problem, so it's not really news until they actually have to put him on the DL or until he has some kind of surgery.