Kirby Puckett has died.

sayitaintso

Torii Hunter - OF - Twins

Torii Hunter was scratched from the lineup today after learning that former Twins great Kirby Puckett suffered a stroke this morning at his home in Scottsdale, Ari.

Puckett was transported to Scottsdale Memorial Hospital and later airlifted to Scottsdale Osborne Hospital, where he is undergoing Neo Surgery. The Twins released a statement asking fans to keep Kirby and his family in their thoughts and prayers. Mar. 5 - 1:11 pm et

:pray

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Hopefully he recovers fully and sees the hint that he might want to improve his diet.

I don't think you ever fully recover from a stroke. My dad had a mini stroke 7 or 8 years ago, and while he's close he never has been quite the same. It wouldn't be wise to speculate, but it appears Kirby's is severe. Hopefully he can go on living a normal life. 44 years old is way too young for this to happen.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
I don't think you ever fully recover from a stroke. My dad had a mini stroke 7 or 8 years ago, and while he's close he never has been quite the same. It wouldn't be wise to speculate, but it appears Kirby's is severe. Hopefully he can go on living a normal life. 44 years old is way too young for this to happen.

Yeah my grandfather had a stroke (and then another 16 years later) and you are correct that you can't fully recover to what you were :(. I more meant I hope he recovers as much as a stroke victim can. And I don't like to speculate either, but for a 44 year old former athlete to have a stroke, combined with Kirby's increasing figure over the years, I figured that was the most likely cause of his stroke.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
It was hard watching the baseball game today.

I remember way back in grade school staying up and watching the 1987 World Series and waving my homer hankie and cheering KIRRRRRRBBBEEEE puckett

he got me hooked on baseball

hopefully he comes out alright

The '91 World Series...game 6 specifically...was one of the most heroic displays of team leadership of all time. You just don't see guys take an entire team on their back and virtually single-handledy pull his team back into the Series. It was just simply incredible. I still get goosebumps any time I pull out that video and watch it.

I remember going to my first baseball game up in the Metrodome in 1992. The Twins were playing the Royals and we were on the 3rd base side and when Kirby walked by, every kid around started saying it's Kirby and Kirby being the nice guy he is gave waves and such. That was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen a player do in games I've gone to.