Baseball Tonight

whitesoxin'

John Kruk picked the Sox to repeat, and Gammons says El Series is possible. Turn on ESPN now to watch it. Shockingly, Steve Phillips says the most important thing in the MLB this year is Pedro's health. :rolly

Edit: Pedro Gomez just gave me the Bonds update. This morning his running workout intensified, and he started running around curves on the infield dirt!!!!!!!

Edited by whitesoxin'

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
Shockingly, Steve Phillips says the most important thing in the MLB this year is Pedro's health. :rolly

Right, because a healthy Pedro means the Mets are going to win it all this year! :wacko:

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
I hope Peter Gammons picks a different team, he's a jinx in my opinion. Last year he said the Cubs and Twins were going to the World Series.

Watch out for Ryne Sandburg's pick. He was one of the only experts to pick the Sox to at least make the playoffs last year.

Actually about the mets they have a really good team, I think they have one of the best chances besides the cards to go to the world series.

Mets made alot of good additions:

Delgado

Lo Duca

Nady (risky but if he has a hot start like last year he could be a good player)

Wagner

Julio

duaner sanchez

Their starting pitching is a little weak but im sure if they are in contention a trade will be made.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 06:14 PM)
How anybody can think the Yankees have a legitimate chance to get to the World Series with that staff is beyond help.

Starters: Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Chacon, Pavano, and Wang.

Bullpen: Rivera, Farnsworth, Wright, Myers, Villone, Small, Sturtze.

I certainly think they have a good chance to get to the World Series this year.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)

They do have a good staff and pen, but problem is they are injury prone, chacon isnt a great pitcher, pavano is injury prone, wang is still young and not ready, their bullpen however looks really good.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)

Too many question marks and health concerns.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)

Look at the ages of just about all of those players. They will not be good enough to make it to the ALCS, let alone the World Series.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:56 PM)
But there hitting is just... unbeliavable.

What's unbeliavable? ;)

And if last year showed us anything, its pitching wins championships. There's a reason both Chicago and Houston were in the World Series.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
What's unbeliavable? ;)

And if last year showed us anything, its pitching wins championships.  There's a reason both Chicago and Houston were in the World Series.

Good point

Yankees will go to the playoffs no doubt and knowing steinbrenner if they have pitching problems hes willin to make a trade. You cant call them out now.

I hope the Yankees do make it to the ALCS this year, so the White Sox can sweep em. My one regret from last year was facing the Angels instead of the Yanks. The Angels were a much better team but at least beating the Yankees would have proven to the east coast bias scmucks at ESPN that the White Sox were for real. I have heard it too many times from my east coast freinds that somehow, the 05WS win is illigitimate because we did not go bow down at the alter of the NY Yankees on the way to clain the Yankee trophy.

Yakees------> :chair

Edited by My Dixie Normus

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
I hope the Yankees do make it to the ALCS this year. My one regret from last year was facing the Angels instead of the Yanks. The Angels were a much better team but at least beating the Yankees would have proven to the east coast bias scmucks at ESPN that the White Sox were for real. I have heard it too many times from my east coast freinds that somehow, the 05WS win is illigitimate because we did not go bow down at the alter of the NY Yankees on the way to clain the Yankee trophy.

Yakees------> :chair

Had the Sox played the Yanks, it could have been a different result. The Sox are a team that allows quite a few homers, both home and away. The Yankees hit a lot of homers. That could have been disaster.

Not only what was said above, but the Angels didn't have Colon - and it was pretty apparent at the end of the ALDS, they wouldn't have him for the ALCS either.

The Sox matched up much better with the Angels, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Last year was friggin destiny - every little piece fell into the exact right spots, and the Sox made themselves look like a team that couldn't be beaten.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
Had the Sox played the Yanks, it could have been a different result.  The Sox are a team that allows quite a few homers, both home and away.  The Yankees hit a lot of homers.  That could have been disaster. 

Not only what was said above, but the Angels didn't have Colon - and it was pretty apparent at the end of the ALDS, they wouldn't have him for the ALCS either. 

The Sox matched up much better with the Angels, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.  Last year was friggin destiny - every little piece fell into the exact right spots, and the Sox made themselves look like a team that couldn't be beaten.

Boston's offense was just as good if not better. The Yankees would've suffered the same fate they did.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
Boston's offense was just as good if not better.  The Yankees would've suffered the same fate they did.

Yankees pitching >>> Boston's

When your game 1 starter is Matt Clement, you are fistf***ed from the beginning.

Game 1 - NYY 4 LAA 2

Game 2 - NYY 3 LAA 5

Game 3 - LAA 11 NYY 7

Game 4 - LAA 2 NYY 3

Game 5 - NYY 3 LAA 5

Not sure I'd say Anaheim had no problem whatsoever scoring runs. They hit the s*** out of the ball in game 3, but aside from that, I see no huge run totals.

And fwiw, I didn't say the Sox would have lost to New York - I just thought Anaheim provided a better matchup. That's the same exact reason I wanted Houston over St. Louis - while Houston had the better pitching staff, their offense was not nearly as strong as St. Louis' was. Thus, again, a better matchup.